Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Theo Epstein and the Chicago Cubs

Re: Theo Epstein and the Chicago Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm especially worried that my kids may now grow up in a world where the Cubs are actually good.
    That's just seems so impossible.

They're the cubs.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In my mind I am trying to rationalize this. I tend to think that some of the luster has worn off Theo over the past few seasons. But then again its not exactly like Boston has been hovering around the .500 mark during a bad season. But as of late Theo's magic touch has turned pretty poor. Big time free agents and extensions have back fired. Guys like Lackey, Dice K, Crawford (jury is still out), Beckett, JD Drew were really a drag on the team over the past season or two. With any good organization success comes from the inside. Youk, Pedroia, Papplebon, Lester and Buckholtz created a nice core of guys to build around.

My take is the Cubs will be successful if they are able to develop a good core to build around. If not you will continue to have a GM handing out bid contracts to high priced free agents.
    That's the problem here, Theo understands it's about building from within and he has shown quite adept at collecting/developing young talent.

I pray they go after a guy like Pujols especially if they get Theo, Albert would be an anchor in a few years and they would likely be stuck with his contract and would not have the room to go after Votto.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The Reds are going to need the ability to spend 100 million within 3-4 years, that's why 2011 was a failure in the progression of this team. Fan interest and faith (which is fickle and relies on winning, yes even an 82-80 season will mitigate the overall picture) needs to steadily increase or the 85 million payroll next year will get slashed back to 60 or 70 while the Cueto's and Bruce's get sent packing at the end, or before the end, of their contracts and we're back to square 0. OK, rant over.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    That's the problem here, Theo understands it's about building from within and he has shown quite adept at collecting/developing young talent.

I pray they go after a guy like Pujols especially if they get Theo, Albert would be an anchor in a few years and they would likely be stuck with his contract and would not have the room to go after Votto.
    Yeah, you wonder if Votto will find interest in Chicago in 2 years or if he really does hate the Cubs. Votto is likely a SABR/AL East type of guy, Epstein could appeal and visa versa. I'm already having visions of strictly pitching way inside to Votto in a Cubs uni. Not pleasant!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And on this day 104 years ago.

The Cubs win their first World Series, as Mordecai Brown tosses a shutout to defeat the Tigers, 2-0 in Game Five to end it
    We should all give daily thanks to God, Yahweh, Allah, Jehovah, Brama, Wotan, Zeus, Jupiter, the Flying Spaghetti monster, or any higher power of your choice that we weren't born Cubs fans.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

This whole thing stinks to high heavens. I can't believe the Red Sox were stupid enough to get rid of a good manager AND a good GM. Way to overreact, gentlemen. You just screwed yourself.

But this really stinks for the Reds too. Now the Cubs are basically guaranteed not to suck. They won't necessarily be great (or even good) but they will always be a contender from this point forward. The NL Central -- already one of the toughest divisions to win in baseball -- just got tougher.

Yes, Epstein made some mistakes, like the Carl Crawford and John Lackey albatrosses. However, overall, there is no doubt he's a good GM and he will help the Cubs. He won't have quite as high of a payroll to play with, but it's still a hell of a lot more than the Reds/Jocketty get to play with.

This is just simply not good. I can't believe the Red Sox's stupidity is going to result in helping the Cubs. To be clear, the Cubs won't be good in 2012, but they will be good sooner rather than later with Epstein running the ship. He's not a magician and at times I think he's overrated, but he's still much better than most of the GMs out there ... and certainly better than anything the Cubs have had.

We better have a good offseason or I'm going to be really upset. The Reds are not that far away from being legit contenders. But we need to sack up and make some bold moves this offseason.

If he's going to continue to give hundreds of millions of dollars to guys like John Lackey, JD Drew, Carl Crawford, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Matt Clement, Edgar Renteria, Julio Lugo, Mike Cameron, Bobby Jenks and John Smoltz then his transition to Chicago will be seamless.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

He won two titles in Boston, he got stuff done. I'll take bad contracts like the ones listed above out of Walt if he even gets us to won series, let alone build a team that wins it.

I have no doubts that Chicago will be back in the World Series and relevant as a force in our division again before the Reds are able to. This was a big, great move for them.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

New ownership, with the commitment to go out and get their dream GM. Whether Epstein is the guy or not, replacing shareholders with a guy that wants the Cubs to win, will make the Cubs a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    New ownership, with the commitment to go out and get their dream GM. Whether Epstein is the guy or not, replacing shareholders with a guy that wants the Cubs to win, will make the Cubs a better team.
    They couldn't be much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

If guys like Jocketty are too old and "out of it" and guys like Beane to "full of it" and guys like Epstein have just been a part of "deep pocket" receivership what exactly is a good GM in a sport that has a lot of turmoil and quagmires in a 162 game season?

This isn't a marvel comic series, all GM's will achieve some serious FAILS in their tenures.

And one day the Cubs will win the World Series, the press will eat it up in a manner that will destroy everyone who spends energy hating them, it will be more annoying than a Tim McCarver story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    He won two titles in Boston, he got stuff done. I'll take bad contracts like the ones listed above out of Walt if he even gets us to won series, let alone build a team that wins it.

I have no doubts that Chicago will be back in the World Series and relevant as a force in our division again before the Reds are able to. This was a big, great move for them.
    Sure, overall he did a good job. His best moves were his early moves, before the Sox morphed into the Yankees and started just throwing money at everything.

But look at the list of mistakes. The reality is Boston was one of two organizations that could make those kinds of mistakes and keep spending to overcome them. Maybe the Cubs will do the same and give Theo the opportunity to make those mistakes and still spend his way out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If guys like Jocketty are too old and "out of it" and guys like Beane to "full of it" and guys like Epstein have just been a part of "deep pocket" receivership what exactly is a good GM in a sport that has a lot of turmoil and quagmires in a 162 game season?
    I'd say Andrew Friedman and Jon Daniels are looking pretty good. So is Alex Anthopolous, who admittedly, hasn't won anything yet.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd say Andrew Friedman and Jon Daniels are looking pretty good. So is Alex Anthopolous, who admittedly, hasn't won anything yet.
    I would add Kevin Towers to that list. I said at the time I thought the Padres were making a mistake jettisoning him essentially because he could only do so much with their low budget, and he has proved that to be the case in Arizona.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I want to see how strong Jocketty can make the Reds this offseason so I can resume complete confidence in what he's building here. The heat is turning up. Houston is gone, no more whipping boy. Chicago is on countdown for 2013 contention. Wainwright returns next year. Fielder or not, Milwaukee will still have a great rotation next year and an ability to put up runs. Get strong Walt!

Turn Off Ads?