Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1B/OF Yonder Alonso

13 14.94%
  • RP Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • SS Zack Cozart

1 1.15%
  • UT Todd Frazier

0 0%
  • C Yasmani Grandal

1 1.15%
  • SS Billy Hamilton

1 1.15%
  • SP Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • C Devin Mesoraco

71 81.61%
  • OF Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • SP Robert Stephenson

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #1 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I am going with Mesoraco. I think its a closer race here actually than most imagine, but Mes still wins. One thing that I was thinking is that if all things were even, (ie guys with the same pro experience and at the same level) how different this top spot would be. I know that that is just projection and would defeat the purpose of this, but I highly doubt that Mes would still be so easily in this top spot. I doubt he would even crack my top 5 then.
    I am not quite sure what you are trying to say with this post. Try and explain it in a different way. I am not sure I get where you are going with the post and would like to.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not quite sure what you are trying to say with this post. Try and explain it in a different way. I am not sure I get where you are going with the post and would like to.
    Say all the guys in the Reds system have the same experience level and have all things equal. Like having Hamilton, Yorman, Mes, Yonder, Grandal, and so on all being on an equal plane of having say 3-4 years of minors experience and all getting ready on the verge of making the opening day roster. Instead of Hamilton and Yorman getting ready to start at Bakersfield, Grandal at Louisville, and Mes and Yonder in Cincy. I was just throwing out a hypothetical situation that if all things were equal and they were at the same stages in their career and all of them were on the verge of making the MLB roster at Spring Training, then I am just curious how the voting would fair then. I know its completely hypothetical and there is no way to gauge that, but it is just something that had me thinking. Its hard to explain, hopefully I did a better job explaining it there.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    Say all the guys in the Reds system have the same experience level and have all things equal. Like having Hamilton, Yorman, Mes, Yonder, Grandal, and so on all being on an equal plane of having say 3-4 years of minors experience and all getting ready on the verge of making the opening day roster. Instead of Hamilton and Yorman getting ready to start at Bakersfield, Grandal at Louisville, and Mes and Yonder in Cincy. I was just throwing out a hypothetical situation that if all things were equal and they were at the same stages in their career and all of them were on the verge of making the MLB roster at Spring Training, then I am just curious how the voting would fair then. I know its completely hypothetical and there is no way to gauge that, but it is just something that had me thinking. Its hard to explain, hopefully I did a better job explaining it there.
    Where they are in their development plays into risk though. Yorman has the potential to parallel Mesoraco at some point, but the fact that he could still completely flame out at AA makes him a lesser prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I went with Mes, without thinking twice, but I'm surprised that nobody has made a case for Cozart. A plus glove at SS, with signs of being a plus bat as well; at least an average bat for that position, it would seem. He definitely impressed in the too-brief period between his call-up and injury.
    I think Cozart's the one we're gonna look back on in three years and realize we underrated. He's never been young enough for real prospect attention, but if he becomes a plus defensive shortstop with 15-20 homers a year, that's a huge asset.

Easily Mes. Corcino should be added moving forward -- probably top 5.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Where they are in their development plays into risk though. Yorman has the potential to parallel Mesoraco at some point, but the fact that he could still completely flame out at AA makes him a lesser prospect.
    That is true. That is why I was saying it was purely hypothetical and really hard to gauge something like that, but something that I was just pondering.

Alonso. I continue to think the bat is that good.

Senor Votto

I voted Alonso but its a tough choice between him and Mes.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I think Cozart's the one we're gonna look back on in three years and realize we underrated. He's never been young enough for real prospect attention, but if he becomes a plus defensive shortstop with 15-20 homers a year, that's a huge asset.
    I had Cozart at #3 last year behind Chapman and Mes. I'm debating the number two spot in my mind between Cozart and Alonso. Still haven't decided that one.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Mes over Alonso because he's a catcher. Two years ago, who would've imagined he'd be the consensus number one?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Mes over Alonso because he's a catcher. Two years ago, who would've imagined he'd be the consensus number one?
    I would have told you he had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would have told you he had a chance.
    Same here.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I had Cozart at #3 last year behind Chapman and Mes. I'm debating the number two spot in my mind between Cozart and Alonso. Still haven't decided that one.
    That's where I'm at as well. Taking defense and position into account is making it harder than I thought it would be.

Taking defense and position into account is making it harder than I thought it would be.
    Agreed. But I'd say we don't have a real good read yet on how good/bad any of these guys will be at their positions -- except Cozart. He will be solid at SS, and that's a significant consideration in his favor. But Mes might end up moving to make room for Grandal, and vice versa. Alonso may be in LF or 1B. So, the deciding factor for me was the bat.

Alonso showed up well in his audition, but he's so limited by position. I'm just not convinced that, as a hitter, he'll be above-average in LF or especially at 1B. For that reason, I think I'll have Cozart, Hamilton and possibly Torreyes ahead of him. I'm probably overvaluing youth, I know . . . but if I had a trade almost made and could complete it by dealing any one of those guys, I think Alonso is the one I'd be least conflicted about.

That said, he has a lot going for him. I didn't know, until September, that I'd like his makeup as much as I do.

Turn Off Ads?