Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RedsZone top 40 prospects - 2011 offseason edition

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

RedsZone top 40 prospects - 2011 offseason edition

Looks like OnBaseMachine started this last year in early October.

Just a reminder, as I'm looking forward to participating again.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's time to start our Redszone top 40 prospects poll again. For those who are new to the board, about three years ago we started doing a community top 40. There will typically be 15-20 prospects on each poll to choose from and you can nominate some guys to be added to the poll. For now, the polls will be open for three days.

Here is last year's top 40.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80315

Notable Reds prospects who lost their prospect eligibility this season: No. 3 RHP Mike Leake, No. 7 LHP Travis Wood, No. 8 OF Chris Heisey, No. 12 LHP Matt Maloney, No. 24 RHP Jordan Smith, No. 28 RHP Logan Ondrusek.

Let's get this thing started.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...light=prospect

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RedsZone top 40 prospects - 2011 offseason edition

It's a long off season, can we pace the voting some? I remember last year it was a flash and all the good convo was through on the 1-20 guys.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    It's a long off season, can we pace the voting some? I remember last year it was a flash and all the good convo was through on the 1-20 guys.
    I'll second that. These conversations help me keep up with what's going on in the Reds' system, but last year several votes went by without my even realizing they were happening. It may have just been me being busy, but it just felt rushed.

I think its the nature of the beast. Few people know much outside of a handful of prospects. Therefor we rely on those that do to generate conversation and insight, while most of us throw up a vote and move on. No matter how you pace it, or when you start it, by the time you get 15-20 deep, there's not the conversation and # of people with real insight to generate much interest. On top of that, it generally becomes a repeat conversation of past voting spots as those in the 20-40 range have been championed for spots earlier and much of the conversation is all ready present in previous posts.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but if you extend out the days between votes, you're just dragging it out to drag it out after the top 15-20.

I think it paced out pretty good last year. It started not long after the season, and we typically hit #40 right around the start of Spring Training. It fits neatly into the offseason gap so there's something to discuss all year long. My only suggestion would be to go back to cutting it at #40 instead of going to #50 like last year. There was virtually no discussion for those last 10 spots for two reasons: once you get that deep few people really know the players, and Spring Training had started so there was something new for everyone to discuss again. Otherwise it makes for a great offseason filler.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I agree that 40 is a perfect number.

This definitely sounds like fun as I haven't participated in this before but am looking forward to it. I was able to catch many more games of the Dragons this past season and have followed the Reds farm system more closely as a result. Should be interesting.

Who qualifies as a prospect this year? With all those who got time in the majors, it doesn't seem so cut and dry this time around.

It goes by eligibility for rookie of the year standards. If they still qualify for that, they're a prospect. (For instance, last year Chapman still qualified as a prospect though most everyone thought he would be in the majors to start the year.)

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Who qualifies as a prospect this year? With all those who got time in the majors, it doesn't seem so cut and dry this time around.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Anyone with less than 50 ip, fewer than 130 at bats or less than 45 days on the MLB 25 man roster.

Here's who was in Cincinnati this year but still has rookie eligibility: Frazier, Sappelt, Alonso, Mesoraco, Cozart, Valaika, Horst, Thompson

Here's who exhausted their rookie eligibility this year: Francisco, LeCure, J. Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Here's who was in Cincinnati this year but still has rookie eligibility: Frazier, Sappelt, Alonso, Mesoraco, Cozart, Valaika, Horst, Thompson

Here's who exhausted their rookie eligibility this year: Francisco, LeCure, J. Smith
    Smith actually wasn't eligible this year, he had more than 45 days last season.

Good call, I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Anyone with less than 50 ip, fewer than 130 at bats or less than 45 days on the MLB 25 man roster.
    To clarify, the 45 days don't include September. However, the innings and at-bats from September still count.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    To clarify, the 45 days don't include September. However, the innings and at-bats from September still count.
    Of course in September there isn't a 25 man roster

Turn Off Ads?