Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1B/OF Yonder Alonso

53 58.89%
  • RP Brad Boxberger

1 1.11%
  • SP Dan Corcino

2 2.22%
  • SS Zack Cozart

10 11.11%
  • UT Todd Frazier

0 0%
  • C Yasmani Grandal

13 14.44%
  • SS Billy Hamilton

7 7.78%
  • SP Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • OF Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

0 0%
  • 1B Neftali Soto

2 2.22%
  • SP Robert Stephenson

1 1.11%
  • 2B Ron Torreyes

1 1.11%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #2 prospect?

Yasmani Grandal. His bat is pretty polished. He has above average offensive tools across the board and solid plate discipline. His defensive reports have been a little lackluster compared to what they were coming out of college, but I tend to think that just about any and all catching scouting reports for non pro's are exaggerated because they guys they are catching simply aren't the same caliber. Still, he is expected to stick at catcher and his bat will absolutely play well at the position.

thorn

Alonso's bat in LF for this team next year will be HUGH, regardless of his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Alonso's bat in LF for this team next year will be HUGH, regardless of his defense.
    Hugh Duffy is a Hall of Famer, so I think your expectations might be a little high, but I hope you're right.

IMO, it's between Hamilton and Grandal. Earlier this year, I picked Grandal, who seems to be a strong two-way catching prospect just behind Mes.

But with his incredible baserunning ability, Hamilton is potentially a star player IMO. Over the years, certain players have become disruptive weapons with their baserunning ability. Hamilton can become such a player.

He obviously will have to develop his hitting. And with his errors, SS may not be in his future. But this guy seems like a great athlete who will adjust to some position, perhaps CF. He can be a tremendous weapon some day, he's my No. 2.

I see Alonso in the top five but I agree with some posters that, given his limited defense, he will have to hit a ton to be a star player. The top first basemen (his true position) are great hitters. That's a lot to ask from Alonso, not sure he'll be quite that good.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-14-2011 at 06:34 PM.

This is tough for me. In past years I've made the mistake of assuming too much for some of these top prospects. Alonso's bat looked really good, but there have been lots of players at 1B who have flashed a good bat and ended up with a career as a PH or part time player (Harry Spilman anyone?). Many are assuming he can automatically OPS .850 every year in the big leagues and I think that is too aggressive. I have him pegged as somebody along the lines of Adam Laroche w/o the defensive prowess. A Solid every day 1B who can hit in the middle of the order but not a star. OTOH, Zach Cozart is a strong defensive SS who looks like a guy who can be steadily solid in the field and has some power and speed potential. A comp that keeps coming to mind is Greg Gagne of the Twins. A steady 75 to 90 OPS+ with real solid defense at a vital defensive position and a chance to OPS a little higher in his good years. The question for me is which is more valuable. Cozart's glove looks to be a constant and at his position should keep him around as a solid contributor even if the bat falters a bit. Alonso is bat or bust and given the competition at his position seems to have a much higher bar to clear to be an average player. Based on that, I think Cozart has a ittle less downside than Yonder, though if Yonder hits like he did in his audition this year, he'll blow everyone on this list away. I'm going with Cozart based on my estimation that he has a higher floor.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Zach Cozart is a strong defensive SS who looks like a guy who can be steadily solid in the field and has some power and speed potential. A comp that keeps coming to mind is Greg Gagne of the Twins. A steady 75 to 90 OPS+ with real solid defense at a vital defensive position and a chance to OPS a little higher in his good years. The question for me is which is more valuable. Cozart's glove looks to be a constant and at his position should keep him around as a solid contributor even if the bat falters a bit. Alonso is bat or bust and given the competition at his position seems to have a much higher bar to clear to be an average player. Based on that, I think Cozart has a ittle less downside than Yonder, though if Yonder hits like he did in his audition this year, he'll blow everyone on this list away. I'm going with Cozart based on my estimation that he has a higher floor.
    And to think everybody dissed the Reds for drafting Cozart so high.

I forget who said, but I loved whoever made the post about waiting until Zack Cozart takes his first major league walk before crowning him as the Reds' next great shortstop. (I deem myself RZ's official first supporter of Cozart fwiw.)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I forget who said, but I loved whoever made the post about waiting until Zack Cozart takes his first major league walk before crowning him as the Reds' next great shortstop. (I deem myself RZ's official first supporter of Cozart fwiw.)
    Who's crowning him great? My exact point is that we shouldn't crown any of them great. A run of the mill SS > a run of the mill 1B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Who's crowning him great? My exact point is that we shouldn't crown any of them great. A run of the mill SS > a run of the mill 1B.
    Okay, crowning him as the Reds' next average-to-good shortstop then--but I wasn't really speaking in regards to his prospect status.. Like I said, I've always been a supporter of his, but I'm not sure I've seen enough from him to expect him to be the Reds' best option at shortstop in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Okay, crowning him as the Reds' next average-to-good shortstop then--but I wasn't really speaking in regards to his prospect status.. Like I said, I've always been a supporter of his, but I'm not sure I've seen enough from him to expect him to be the Reds' best option at shortstop in 2012.
    I'm guessing .675 to .700 OPS with solid defense. Who do the Reds have who is better than that or who could they get without it costing them an arm and a leg?

I'm guessing .675 to .700 OPS with solid defense. Who do the Reds have who is better than that or who could they get without it costing them an arm and a leg?
    I think that's a reasonable expectation, but there's no way I'd bet a lot of money on it. I don't have a 'better' suggestion. All I'm saying is that Cozart is from a guarantee to produce in 2012, and I hope the Reds get some insurance for that through trade or free agency.

I am going with Cozart here. I just think he has a good all around game that will provide us the SS that we have been needing with a little pop as well. He won't be 'great' but he will be the little umph that the Reds need. What separated him and Alonso to me was the positions that they play and their ability to play them. I just think that Cozart will offer more to the Reds not only next season but in many more years down the road (with his bat, his glove, and personally I think his leadership many more years down the road) and with Alonso I think it will be just his bat that he will offer to the Reds. Therefore I am going with Cozart here at number 2.

For me, it was Cozart or Hamilton. While Hamilton is unique, he is also conspicuously undeveloped. At this point, you can't really say that he will ever hit or field as well at AAA as Cozart did, much less the big leagues. So gotta go with Cozart.

There are a lot of really good players listed here. I go Grandal.

Turn Off Ads?