Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Albert be the ruin of the Cards?

Will Albert be the ruin of the Cards?

He is having an incredible post season and is on teh verge of leading his team to their second WS. This means that if so St. Louis has no option, no matter the cost they will have to resign Albert. So with such a bloated contract that Albert will get, how much will that hurt the overall franchise down the road 3-5 years to be able to stay competive? Also how will that impact on what Votto will want and get when his time comes?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Will Albert be the ruin of the Cards?

Pujols will be a Cub. Count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Pujols will be a Cub. Count on it.
    i agree i think the addition of theo epstein will bring him in to the cubs.

Can you imagine? It would be like watching Joey Votto play for the Cardinals. I don't think it will happen, but if it does it will be huge. I wonder if Albert will announce his decision on live t.v. like Lebron. Will the Cubs fan base be o.k. with Prince Albert posing and watching every home run he hits? I'm not gonna lie, I am very interested in where Pujols signs, but even more interested in the kind of financial handicap he puts on the franchise he does sign with. Both the Cards and Cubs have a much larger payroll than our Reds, but even they can't afford to have Pujols making crazy money for 6-8 years.

id be willing to bet theres no chance hes a cub. id be shocked.

AP will probably re-sign with STL, somewhere around 75% IMO. The value will not be known until the FA season starts 5 days after the WS ends. There is no way STL gets a contract before Christmas unless it's a monster overpriced deal by someone & whomever that org. is they will have overpayed more than likely.

The cubs are a player and nobody should count them out on anybody this winter. If they don't get AP or Prince then JV could get one heck of a pay increase to go to the Windy City.

I do not think that DeWitt & Mo will pay through the nose for AP but it's possible - scary but possible.

why in the world would Albert go anywhere else? Cards are a great team with a great pitching staff and a great fan base and they are set to compete for a few years if Al stays on board and the Cards promise to upgrade a few areas of need.....he would be silly to go anywhere else..

I Love Birds

I have no clue where Pujols ends up next year, but I honestly don't think he will go to chicago...

1. he wants to win. That won't happen with the Cubs.
    2. he has said before he is not a fan of all the day games they play
    3. the small clubhouse/training room
    4. Pujols is a decent person and he knows that'd be like a knife to Cards fans. I don't see him doing that.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

I Love Birds

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Can you imagine? It would be like watching Joey Votto play for the Cardinals. I don't think it will happen, but if it does it will be huge. I wonder if Albert will announce his decision on live t.v. like Lebron.
    He already joked that he wouldn't do that.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Swampturkey View Post
    I have no clue where Pujols ends up next year, but I honestly don't think he will go to chicago...

1. he wants to win. That won't happen with the Cubs.
    2. he has said before he is not a fan of all the day games they play
    3. the small clubhouse/training room
    4. Pujols is a decent person and he knows that'd be like a knife to Cards fans. I don't see him doing that.
    And the HGH dispenser in the visitor's locker room is always broken and he doesn't want to take the chance that the same holds true for the home team's locker.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampturkey View Post
    He already joked that he wouldn't do that.
    I think it would be funny. Make a big to do of the whole thing. Donate all of the proceeds to the city of Cleveland.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

AP will not be the ruin of the Cards. Instead, he may lead them to a WS win, again.
    I think it will be tough for them to keep him around. Money will surely be better elsewhere. I have read in the past that he wanted to dip his toe in the free agent pool. If that is the case, StL can't pay him as much as others so he will be gone.
    I don't think he would care about hurting his StL fans by going to the Cubs. He plays for whoever pays him - not the fans. He could build a winner in Chicago with Theo.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think it would be hilarious if the Reds fooled everyone and have been saving up to sign Pujols.

Then trade Votto for improved starting pitching.

I don't really want Pujols, but I'd still laugh if BC and WJ decided to shock the world and the Cardinals.

There is zero chance Albert plays anywhere but St. Louis next year. Whatever he wants the St. Louis mag't will pay him. The first basemen who will land somewhere else this offseason will be Mr. Fielder and maybe Mr. Votto, but no chance Alberty moves.

I think Albert sees what offers he can get, then use them as leverage to get something close from the Cards. I don't see him going anywhere else. Fielder, OTOH, is gone to the highest bidder, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?