Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encouraging Arroyo Article

Encouraging Arroyo Article

Arroyo never wants to experience a season like this one again. He's planned major changes to his offseason routine that make clear where his priorities lie.
    If it's not about baseball, it's probably not on Arroyo's agenda.
    It appears as if Bronson plans to go down swinging. You can't really ask for more than that. This team needs a huge bounceback season out of Arroyo.

Only one discouraging line in the whole article. Father time is undefeated.

"Everything that I do, I have to go above and beyond to try and counteract either age or whatever it is so I can come back and throw the ball a little bit harder. I really think if I can throw the ball 90-91 mph, I can have the same seasons I've always had."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_cin

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Re: Encouraging Arroyo Article

Good for him.That spring training Mono really tooks its toll on him.Bronson is such a competitor,he is hard headed when it comes to taking time off to heal.He's been sick as a dog on many occasions,yet would not miss a start.Hopefully he has realized age is catching up with him,and he cant go ''all out ''anymore.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Like most, I am worried about Arroyo next year. But I do think he is a good candidate for a bounceback since he has never been a fireballer to begin with. A little rest and another trick or two and he might be back to eating innings like a champ.

It would be huge if Bronson was dealing bigtime in 2012.

I dont think we ever would or could question Bronsons desire to be great....but sometimes desire is just that, I wish him the best of luck cause when he is on, he is tough to tangle with....

I am glad to hear it, but hope he doesnt overdue it to where his body isnt able to rest up-recover from this season and burned out next year.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I do think Arroyo will bounce back. I definitely think the Mono affected his season.

But if I'm wrong I'll eat.............some ribs or a steak or something. I'm not eating my words or crow, that's for sure.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

He is just so honest...that's what I love about him.....he was getting lit up like a pin ball machine against lefties throwing that cute little 87 MPH fastball in side.

The difference between hitting your spot inside at 87 & 91? At 87...it's in the seats. At 91....it's in a glove.

Code:
    Age   MPH-FB
    28     89.5
    29     89.0
    30     88.4
    31     88.3
    32     88.5
    33     88.0
    34     87.0
    Another note on Arroyo. Even though the velocity on his fastball was down he threw it much more often in 2011 than he did 2010. In 2010 39.5% of his pitches were fastballs. In 2011 that number increased to 46.2% Conversely the percentage of changeups he threw dropped in 2011, from 25.0% to 17.6%. His fastball rate of 46.2% in 2011 was actually pretty close to his career norm of 45.4%. Maybe he just needs to throw more slop and spot his fastball more often.

Link to stats: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...978&position=P

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Code:
    Age   MPH-FB
    28     89.5
    29     89.0
    30     88.4
    31     88.3
    32     88.5
    33     88.0
    34     87.0
    Another note on Arroyo. Even though the velocity on his fastball was down he threw it much more often in 2011 than he did 2010. In 2010 39.5% of his pitches were fastballs. In 2011 that number increased to 46.2% Conversely the percentage of changeups he threw dropped in 2011, from 25.0% to 17.6%. His fastball rate of 46.2% in 2011 was actually pretty close to his career norm of 45.4%. Maybe he just needs to throw more slop and spot his fastball more often.

Link to stats: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...978&position=P
    I've never bothered to look at Arroyo's FIP before. I'm really nauseous. We gave him HOW MUCH MONEY? A 4.5+ FIP over the past 5 seasons.

Arroyo is LIKELY to have a banner year next season, lets just hope that it isn't for a pitching staff "managed" by Baker.

I predict a return to his usual 4.00 ERA form, which will be huge for this injury-prone squad. If you can rely on Cueto for at least a 3.50 ERA and Leake for a 3.80 ERA, you have the foundation of a reliable staff. Now if only Wood and Volquez would show that kind of commitment to getting back in form...

Quote Originally Posted by kuleyb View Post
    I've never bothered to look at Arroyo's FIP before. I'm really nauseous. We gave him HOW MUCH MONEY? A 4.5+ FIP over the past 5 seasons.
    Advanced stats don't do Arroyo a whole lot of favors. He's prone to blowups, low strikeout rates, and home runs, partially due to his pitching style, his low-velocity fastball, and GABP. WAR and FIP consistently underrate the value he brings to a team.

Arroyo has always been an offspeed pitcher, his fastball is there to get ahead in counts, and give up solo shots.

Unfortunately his curve isn't snapping off like it once did. I remember a pitch he threw to Soriano a few years ago that broke so hard Soriano's bat hit the ground. I didn't see that kind of break on any of his offspeed pitches this season.

Talk is just talk until he shows something. I thought he had an alright season, it was our relievers that screwed us.

Turn Off Ads?