Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Report: Rangers prepared to throw 'boatload of money' at C.C. Sabathia this winter

Report: Rangers prepared to throw 'boatload of money' at C.C. Sabathia this winter

I get that winning increases revenue, but wasn't this team recently bankrupt and had to take loans from MLB to continue to pay players?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...a-this-winter/

A “baseball source” told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York this week that the Texas front office is preparing to make a significant bid for the 31-year-old left-hander with the expectation that he will indeed opt out after the World Series.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Report: Rangers prepared to throw 'boatload of money' at C.C. Sabathia this winte

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I get that winning increases revenue, but wasn't this team recently bankrupt and had to take loans from MLB to continue to pay players?

New ownership that isn't leveraged like the previous group was. I don't believe those financial problems are relevant any longer.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Re: Report: Rangers prepared to throw 'boatload of money' at C.C. Sabathia this winte

If they're smart they'll also make every effort to keep CJ Wilson. Letting him go and bringing Sabathia on board won't make much of a net positive impact, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    If they're smart they'll also make every effort to keep CJ Wilson. Letting him go and bringing Sabathia on board won't make much of a net positive impact, IMO.
    Sabathia is a couple steps up from Wilson. The Rangers just signed a mega local TV deal. Thay can compete with the Yankees.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sabathia is a couple steps up from Wilson. The Rangers just signed a mega local TV deal. Thay can compete with the Yankees.
    He's better, but is he so much better that he'll justify the more money he'll make?

In the last two years, CC has been worth 12.3 WAR. CJ Wilson has been worth 10.5 in that same time span. What's the going rate for .9 WAR these days?

I'm just saying, if they're really gonna be players and go after Sabathia, they should keep Wilson AND go after Sabathia. Because if they let CJ go and bring CC in, it'll mainly be about making a splash and nothing more, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    He's better, but is he so much better that he'll justify the more money he'll make?

In the last two years, CC has been worth 12.3 WAR. CJ Wilson has been worth 10.5 in that same time span. What's the going rate for .9 WAR these days?

I'm just saying, if they're really gonna be players and go after Sabathia, they should keep Wilson AND go after Sabathia. Because if they let CJ go and bring CC in, it'll mainly be about making a splash and nothing more, IMO.
    I'd normally agree, but I don't think the difference is going to stop them from doing whatever else they want. May as well get the best guy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think the difference is going to stop them from doing whatever else they want. May as well get the best guy.
    I can dig it.

I wonder how long CC will last at a high level. Guy looked like he was 300 lbs. by the end of the season. I fully expect the Yanks to offer a lot of $$$ for CC, but I think Texas would be doing them a favor by outbidding them.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

If Texas lands Sabathia AND keeps Wilson they'd have to be the frontrunners to represent the AL in the 2012 world series.

I think CC ends up with one of the California teams. He's a west coast guy and has wanted to get back there for a long time. San Fran would be perfect, but they may not have the payroll room for it. I could see Anaheim as a realistic place as well.

Stat geek...and proud

I don't think CC is anywhere but New York next year. I don't think he'll opt out, but that's just the vibe I'm getting from the media, and who knows if they know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post

They have some kind of awesome TV deal. I can't remember how much it is but it is right up there with teams like the Yankees and Red Sox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think CC ends up with one of the California teams. He's a west coast guy and has wanted to get back there for a long time. San Fran would be perfect, but they may not have the payroll room for it. I could see Anaheim as a realistic place as well.
    I think as soon as CC signed the deal with NY he regretted doing so. IIRC it came down to the Angles and the Yankees with the Yankees offering more. I think he opts out and heads out to Anaheim or maybe the Dodgers if they get a new owner and everything on the up and up. I don't see him fitting in with the Giants. Actually if the Giants have any extra money it needs to go towards offense. Their rotation is pretty darn good right now but their offense is woeful.

They have a more stable ownership group and they have an epic TV deal. Their TV deal is worth 80 million per year. It is the largest fox baseball contract in the game. That contract alone makes them players for any free agent. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a move for not only CC but one of the prime first baseman free agents because Moreland or what ever his name isn't living up to his potential. In fact, I have a feeling that Pujols will be in a Rangers uniform next year.

Turn Off Ads?