Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brodie Greene

Re: Brodie Greene

Greene played SS at Texas A & M, but the Reds have seen him as a utility guy from the beginning. An interesting question is how Greene and HRod compare defensively. I have no idea.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If usage means anything, Greene has played about as much SS as 2B. HRod has been at 2B almost exclusively. If the Reds sign BP to a long term deal, then, IMO, HRod is blocked and Greene becomes more valuable to the Reds because of his versatility.

Admittedly, Greene is one of my favorites minor league players. He can play anywhere except catcher, and has some power and base stealing ability. Also, he appears to be one of those tough nosed, good character guys that always seems to show up on winning teams.

As a senior sign, Greene started at A+ and held his own, so he has already skipped at least one level. Even counting AFL as AA, he will have only about half the PA's at that level as HRod. It seems like a stretch to start Greene in AAA.

There's nothing wrong with a half-season of AA, then, if he dominates, a move to AAA or the majors. Phillips will be in the lineup all season unless the Reds stink. Then, a competition between Ryan Freel-- errr, I man, Brodie Greene-- and Felipe Lopez-- dangit, I mean Henry Rodriguez-- would be just fine for an open spot.

You simply don't know what could happen in that year as well:
    Cincinnati might find a SS and move Cozart to 2B.
    Torreyes might challenge the .400 mark in A+ Bakersfield after growing three inches and adding 40 pounds in the off-season.
    Hamilton might continue to find his inner Tim Raines rather than his inner Maury Wills and force the team to play him.
    Ian Kinsler is a free agent and Castellini might decide to add a premier offensive free agent.

Greene has more tools than Freel

Greene finsihed up his AFL stint at .288/.374/.475/.849 with 4 HR in 80 ABs. He had 10 BBs. He can play all over the diamond and seems to have put himself in the picture for a shot at the major leagues at some point. He can play acceptably at 2B, SS and 3B as well as in the OF. He has less power than Todd Frazier, who profiles as a guy for a similar role, but Greene seems to be a better defender at the up the middle spots. A nice showing in an advanced league like the AFL has to help his stock.

I'd like to see the Reds find Greene an everyday role playing 2B somewhere in 2012. Either start H-Rod in AAA with Greene playing 2B in AA or have Greene skip AA and let him play 2B in AAA. I prefer Greene in Louisville given his age and showing in the AFL. H-Rod can start in AA and hopefully show some maturity and push for a move up. Those two look like the guys who will compete to replace Brandon Phillips in 2013.

I'm bullish on Greene.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

When I was in Az watching fall ball, Greene made a sensational play that didn't count.... someone hit a scorching grounder, and he dove behind 2nd to snag it and got up and threw the runner out. People were oohing and ahhing all over the ballpark. (but the catcher had interfered and it all was all for naught).

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    When I was in Az watching fall ball, Greene made a sensational play that didn't count.... someone hit a scorching grounder, and he dove behind 2nd to snag it and got up and threw the runner out. People were oohing and ahhing all over the ballpark. (but the catcher had interfered and it all was all for naught).
    That's interesting, because I saw one Lynchburg game in 2010 and Greene made a fantastic play to throw a guy out from the 5.5 hole. I sort of dismissed it because Greene didn't have that kind of reputation and I figured I just overrated the play; but it was a ball on which I thought he had no chance to throw the guy out.

Turn Off Ads?