Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Williamson is selling his 2004 World Series Ring...

Scott Williamson is selling his 2004 World Series Ring...

...to build a baseball training center for kids. Not a lot of Boston World Series rings available out there on the market.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...s_bos&c_id=bos
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Williamson is selling his 2004 World Series Ring...

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    ...to build a baseball training center for kids. Not a lot of Boston World Series rings available out there on the market.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...s_bos&c_id=bos
    It looks like it is for a good cause so best of luck to him. I just wish there was a way he could raise the money without selling his ring. I hate it when players sell their championship stuff, esp. on a historic team like the 2004 Red Sox.

To some people though trinkets mean little when they have the memory of the occasion.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Am I the only one who finds it funny that the author got quotes about the value of Williamson's ring from a guy named Graves?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Am I the only one who finds it funny that the author got quotes about the value of Williamson's ring from a guy named Graves?
    I caught that too.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Holy crap, I completely forgot Willy was on that '04 Red Sox squad. Still remember him coming out of nowhere to win the '99 NL Rookie of the Year. Going from him to Graves was a huge downgrade. Course, it was pretty obvious that Scott was never going to last with his throwing motion. I'm not even sure "violent" begins to describe it. Not good when you're a little dude to begin with.

But fond memories of that guy. The '99 Reds must be the most-beloved team in franchise history that never technically made the playoffs (they did play in a one-game "playoff" but that didn't count as "making the playoffs"). Another team I would put up there is the '94 Reds who led the Astros by 0.5 games for first place when the strike hit. Would have been the Reds v Expos in the NLCS.

"There's never been an '04 World Series ring available, obviously, and there's [nothing] comparable to that series because of what it meant," he said. "It was probably the most significant of our lifetime, and arguably in all of baseball history."
    And this is why I think Boston is annoying.
    It's just a world series.. not any more significant than any other.

I did like Williamson too.. Too bad he got hurt.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Evidently Williamson was still playing in some independent leagues up until I think either last summer or even this summer. I think one of the ones back up Northeast.

But from one of the articles I read about this, it appears that he still lives in the Greater Cincy area just over the border in Indiana.

Williamson claims this is for a good cause--and I'm sure it is--but I heard a couple times that he's having financial trouble. It's just a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt, but I can't help but think it might somehow be relevant. I even saw an article that talked about his financial issues, but Williamson claims he has more assets than debt, and he realized there would be some negative press with putting his ring up for auction as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    Evidently Williamson was still playing in some independent leagues up until I think either last summer or even this summer. I think one of the ones back up Northeast.

But from one of the articles I read about this, it appears that he still lives in the Greater Cincy area just over the border in Indiana.
    Last year, he was a teammate of Bill Pulsipher, Ryan Freel, and Rock Raines' son.

It's His Ring.

It's none of our business what he does with it.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It's His Ring.

Absolutely true. Unless of course he was still working in MLB and was selling it to pay off his baseball gambling debts. Oops...

It's His Ring.

Unless somebody calls the NCAA...

It's His Ring.

It's Joey Votto's job. It's none of our business what he does at work. Don't get me wrong--I agree with the principle of your statement--but Willy went to the media and with the intention of raising attention to the fact that His Ring is for sale.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 10-19-2011 at 03:27 PM.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think I'm a few dollars short.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?