Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Astros to the AL? (Realignment)

Astros to the AL? (Realignment)

Looks like Nolan Ryan is in favor of it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb...ory?id=6719703

If I had to see a NL team switch divisions, it would be the Diamondbacks, just based on seniority.

Just do a five team, 3 division format. Switch the Astros to the AL West to make it even.

NL East-
    Atlanta
    Philadelphia
    Florida
    New York Mets
    Washington

NL Central-
    Chicago Cubs
    Cincinnati
    Milwaukee
    Pittsburgh
    St Louis

NL West-
    Colorado
    Houston
    Los Angeles
    San Diego
    San Francisco

AL East-
    Baltimore
    Boston
    NY Yankees
    Tampa Bay
    Toronto

AL Central-
    Chicago White Sox
    Cleveland
    Detroit
    Kansas City
    Minnesota

AL West-
    Anaheim
    Arizona
    Oakland
    Seattle
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros to the AL? (Realignment)

It makes sense for Houston to go to the AL, in my opinion. Being geographically isolated like they are, the Rangers are the only team realistically close to them to develop some sort of rivalry. The Astros certainly don't belong in a division with the Reds, Pirates, etc. Those teams are just too far away.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Houston is also the furthest west of any non-west team.

Their move to the AL West makes too much sense.

I'm not in favor of a club that has just embarked on a rebuilding project leaving the Reds' division.

Categorically opposed, actually.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    I'm not in favor of a club that has just embarked on a rebuilding project leaving the Reds' division.

Categorically opposed, actually.
    But visits to Houston have historically been nightmarish for the Reds. Although we're beating them up now, it wasn't too long ago that they just dominated series against Cincinnati. Roy Oswalt's absurd 20-1 (or whatever it was at one time) record vs. the Reds is proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    But visits to Houston have historically been nightmarish for the Reds. Although we're beating them up now, it wasn't too long ago that they just dominated series against Cincinnati. Roy Oswalt's absurd 20-1 (or whatever it was at one time) record vs. the Reds is proof of that.
    Think about the Reds' teams for the next 3-4 years.
    Think about the Astros' team for the next 3-4 years.

Yea... I want them to stay with us. The thinking might be myopic and certainly ignores the past, but that's my logic.

For that matter, I hate the one division realignment idea for the same reason. The Reds are *presumably* starting their window for NL Central domination. On paper, of course. I want this exact division intact whilst our fruit ripens!
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

There is a lot of young talent on the Astros so I think they will be good in a couple of years.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    There is a lot of young talent on the Astros so I think they will be good in a couple of years.
    Really?

I thought they had the worst farm system in baseball.

Though it won't happen, I would send Houston, Arizona and Colorado to the AL West, then Oakland and Seattle to the NL West.

This would leave the AL West with Houston, Texas, Arizona, Colorado and Anaheim and then the NL would have Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle, the Los Angeles and San Diego.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Though it won't happen, I would send Houston, Arizona and Colorado to the AL West, then Oakland and Seattle to the NL West.

This would leave the AL West with Houston, Texas, Arizona, Colorado and Anaheim and then the NL would have Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle, the Los Angeles and San Diego.
    How do you think MLB would feel about having Oakland and San Francisco in the same league and division? If that's the hangup, what about San Diego and Colorado to the AL West with Houston and Texas to the NL West? It would at least involve less teams switching leagues and divisions.

AL West
    LA of Anaheim
    Colorado
    Oakland
    San Diego
    Seattle

NL West
    Arizona
    Houston
    Los Angeles
    San Francisco
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    How do you think MLB would feel about having Oakland and San Francisco in the same league and division? If that's the hangup, what about San Diego and Colorado to the AL West with Houston and Texas to the NL West? It would at least involve less teams switching leagues and divisions.

AL West
    LA of Anaheim
    Colorado
    Oakland
    San Diego
    Seattle

NL West
    Arizona
    Houston
    Los Angeles
    San Francisco
    Texas

I'm against anything that takes the Rockies and Coors Field out of the NL.

I like WVRed's idea best. Just move the D'Backs, who have little in the way of history and tradition in the NL outside of their Johnson/Schilling World Series win, to the AL and slide Houston from the Central to the West.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Jason Castro, once he gets healthy, is a nice looking young catcher. He's probably their best prospect at this point (although I'm not familiar with who they drafted this year). Other than him, they've got Brett Wallace, Hunter Pence & Michael Bourn. All three of these guys can be pretty decent players from time to time. They can also disappear completely for long stretches. Outside of that group, the drop off is rather dramatic. Chris Johnson has a bit of potential...but at third base he'll have to reach all of it in order to not be a below average bat at the hot corner.

In terms of pitching...the cupboard is bare. Wandy Rodriguez still probably has the highest upside, but he is not trending in the right direction the past year or so. JA Happ....I just don't know WHAT to make out of this guy. He's kind of the Astros version of what Kyle Loshe used to be...horrible most of the time and then all of a sudden he'll throw a gem. Up and down. Brett Myers, smoke & mirrors. Bud Norris, nice stuff...10 cent head.

The sad thing is, people were thinking that their starting pitching was going to be their STRONG point. LOL. I knew that wasn't going to be the case. But to suggest they've got a bright future is to ignore the fact that they may very well have the single most horrible farm system in the majors. It's bare up and down the system. Nope, the Astros should be pretty darned bad for a long while.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 06-30-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I like WVRed's idea best. Just move the D'Backs, who have little in the way of history and tradition in the NL outside of their Johnson/Schilling World Series win, to the AL and slide Houston from the Central to the West.
    Then you have the astros in the same place as the rangers,two timezones away from most of their division. Ugh
    Go Gators!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    How do you think MLB would feel about having Oakland and San Francisco in the same league and division?
    They wouldn't want it. There are reasons every two-team market has one team in one league and the other in the other.

And for that reason, I'm not sure Houston to the AL is their first choice. That move would leave an awfully large geographic footprint that would never see a NL team except for the stray interleague series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Me too. It's probably the easiest -- if Arizona would go for it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?