Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Zanesville OH!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,151

    Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Zanesville OH!

    I think some of you guys are close to here.

    Public Urged to Stay Indoors After Exotic Animals Escape From Ohio Preserve


    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/19...er-found-dead/
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,235

    Re: Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Zanesville OH!

    Where's Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler when you need them?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  3. #3
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,151

    Re: Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Zanesville OH!

    Well, Jack Hannah is on the scene.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    Member forfreelin04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Zanesville, OH
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Zanesville OH!

    As someone who knew Terry and lives less than 10 minutes away, this has been a complete lie. The worst liar of all is Jack Hannah.

    Don't watch this national news garbage.

  5. #5
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Zanesville OH!

    Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    As someone who knew Terry and lives less than 10 minutes away, this has been a complete lie. The worst liar of all is Jack Hannah.

    Don't watch this national news garbage.
    Tell us more. Do not tease us with everyopne is a liar but some person who set dangerous animals free... risking the lives of innocent people. If you knew this person, I am sure it is upsetting to you (and I am sorry for that). But I need more information than everyone is a liar. That does not tell me anything.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,346

    Re: Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Zanesville OH!

    Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    As someone who knew Terry and lives less than 10 minutes away, this has been a complete lie. The worst liar of all is Jack Hannah.

    Don't watch this national news garbage.
    I can't wait to hear this.

  7. #7
    Member foxfire123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hell, aka Eastern Missouri.
    Posts
    712

    Re: Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Zanesville OH!

    Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    As someone who knew Terry and lives less than 10 minutes away, this has been a complete lie. The worst liar of all is Jack Hannah.

    Don't watch this national news garbage.
    Jack Hanna? Liar? Puhleeze. And for the record, while I no longer live in Muskingum County, I have a boatload of family who do, and who are heavily involved in wildlife, exotics and taxidermy. Thompson's place was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode *for years*. Not because he didn't care about his animals, but the fact that he had too many, and was overwhelmed by both them and life.

  8. #8
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,235

    Re: Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Zanesville OH!

    According to this article the owner was in horrible debt to the IRS and he had just gotten out of jail on a weapons charge.

    http://www.wtop.com/?nid=209&sid=2598255
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  9. #9
    Member forfreelin04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Zanesville, OH
    Posts
    1,318

    The true story behind the exotic animal "escape"

    Sorry to keep everyone waiting. I didn't mean to lash out in the original thread. *It's just extremely frustrating when people are misinformed and duped when I know the truth.

    I live in Zanesville just 10 minutes from Terry's farm. My inlaws and my wife were friends with T , which was Terry's nickname. In no way, did they condone his choice of pets, and people certainly knew it wasn't right. However, T wasn't committing a crime by having them.*

    He was very strange individual. He was often accused of dealing guns and drugs from his many used vehicles he also had on his farm. No ones denying he was disturbed. He was an attention hog.

    However the truth behind the actions taken by T, the police, and Jack Hanna are very much convoluted. Much of the supposed truth is incorrect, and more so from a national news standpoint than a local.

    First, you must understand these animals were pets not wild bloodthirsty animals that the media has dramatized. If you come from parts of ohio like I do, it's not uncommon to raise what most consider a "wild" animal. We have a pet raccoon. He was raised by my inlaws and by dogs. He thinks he's a dog. These supposed savage tigers, lions, and bears were raised similarly. They were brought to the fair as infants for several years. They were loved by children at the fair and were as domesticated as any fair animal.*

    The animals were kept in cages, they were also in the house. They played with each other and there were very few (if) any instances of bites or fights. Terry did commit suicide and he did let the animals out. The majority of the animals were in the front field when the cops first came. Keep in mind, these animals never left Terry's property. They were never outside the property. If you read something that says the animals were on 70, it's because the farm is literally right beside it. The animals were still on the property even if they could still be seen from 70. Any neighbors reporting animals on their property is incorrect. They may have seen them for the first time from their property but the animals never set foot off T's property.*

    When the cops got there, they simply saw the animals and started shooting. They killed nearly all of them before they ever knew Terry was dead. These were pets, they would not attack unless cornered and made too. It was a slaughter by county police who did not know these animals could have been lured back in their cages by food.

    Nearly 90% of the animals were dead before jack Hannah ever showed his face. Tranquilizers could have been used. They were easy to get.They were 20 minutes away at the Wilds preserve. Hannah spoke little to Terry's wife but acted like he had. He was overly dramatic on his television shows and acted as if had something to do with this. He had little to no involvement. I assume it's just a chance to get himself out there.

    Finally, if you read back through every article on CNN fox news or USA today see if the truth matches up with their spin. News has to be entertaining now, not factual. It's attempting to scare you. It's working, their ratings are up and some of you now no longer think for yourselves.*

  10. #10
    Member forfreelin04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Zanesville, OH
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: The true story behind the exotic animal "escape"

    If you want to believe your source of news over me, then thats fine. I'm just a poster on Redszone to all of you. But I'm 28, extremely successful, and not in the business of getting attention on message boards. My own mother trusted Brian Williams over me.

    Just know that this was terribly mishandled on every level. I would imagine the news especially on the cable networks is also heavily weighted to entertainment and generalizations in nearly every story they do. The facts are constantly downplayed or ignored in favor of some conservative or liberal blowhard's opinion. This isn't news it's some heads opinion. Read the papers from 50 years ago. There are facts not wild generalizations and hyperbole. Turn the TV off, read a book.

  11. #11
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: The true story behind the exotic animal "escape"

    Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    If you want to believe your source of news over me, then thats fine. I'm just a poster on Redszone to all of you. But I'm 28, extremely successful, and not in the business of getting attention on message boards. My own mother trusted Brian Williams over me.

    .


    Oh thank God. I didn't believe you because I thought you were 25 and poor, everyone knows you can't trust the poor.

    I really don't give a Sbomb about any of this and I think I'm the only one of this board that doesn't have a boatload of family that live near this guy's farm. I just thought that part was funny.

  12. #12
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: The true story behind the exotic animal "escape"

    Those animals had to be put down, and fast. They could not take the chance of them leaving the property and eating some kid at the morning bus stop 4 or 5 days later when they got really hungry. Public safety trumps animals....every single time.

    Most tigers and lions you see in the zoo were born in captivity, as were their parents and grandparents. There is a reason that a big fense and mote surrounds those cages. There are lots of youtube videos that will show you what happens when a stupid human comes into contact with them.

    This "tranquilizer argument" holds no water. How many local, rural, police departments keep and maintain tranquilizer guns? Really? Reports were that the closest tranquilizer guns were 20 minutes away. Well thats 40 minutes round trip. Are you going to ask Mr. Lion and Mr. Tiger who was just feeding on the head of their now dead care giver to not go anywhere?

    If one of those beasts escaped and killed someone and I knew I could of put it down but didn't because I gave in to the politically correct culture I could not live with myself. Those cops did the right thing. Even the remote chance in the loss of human life alway trumps animal life. If you think any different you would change your mind if it was your kid that "got it" playing outside or at the bus stop.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  13. #13
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: The true story behind the exotic animal "escape"

    Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Those animals had to be put down, and fast. They could not take the chance of them leaving the property and eating some kid at the morning bus stop 4 or 5 days later when they got really hungry. Public safety trumps animals....every single time.....

    This "tranquilizer argument" holds no water. How many local, rural, police departments keep and maintain tranquilizer guns? Really? Reports were that the closest tranquilizer guns were 20 minutes away. Well thats 40 minutes round trip. Are you going to ask Mr. Lion and Mr. Tiger who was just feeding on the head of their now dead care giver to not go anywhere?
    Overall I tend to agree with what you're saying above; but I think the police could have possibly approached the situation differently. And I don't say that to say they are guilty of wrongdoing or should be condemned either. Public safety is the #1 priority. And I'm not sure on all the facts surrounding this situation either, BUT...

    - who called the police to inform them the animals were loose?
    - how long were the animals loose and wandering around on his property before the police arrived?
    - Sure, the local and state police may (or may not) possess tranquilizer guns, but when they were initially called and told the animals were loose - and the local police already knew the circumstances on that farm - why couldn't they have coordinated their efforts better and immediately contacted those that possessed tranquilizer guns - at least made the effort if they were only 20 minutes away - and had them meet them at the scene? After all, how long did it take the police to organize, get the armament they needed ready, and get there?

    I personally think it could have been handled better.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  14. #14
    Member foxfire123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hell, aka Eastern Missouri.
    Posts
    712

    Re: The true story behind the exotic animal "escape"

    A few questions among the many I could ask, but what about the eyewitness reports of the animals being in *their* yards? What about the eyewitness reports that Terry's animals were actually quite disruptive and out of control at the fair pet shows--Necessitating a change of the rules to read "domestic pets only"?

    As someone who HAS studied wildlife behaviour, and made a career of it in the past, tranqs were not necessarily a good idea--these were large animals. Dosage is hard to figure unless you have a really good idea of weight. And even then, it can take 15-20 minutes or better for tranqs to take effect. Couple that with a ticked off, stressed predator animal, you got trouble in river city. It's sad that this many animals had to die, for no other reason that a sad, sick man put them into that situation. But unfortunately, given the circumstances of being relatively close to town, a major highway and however many subdivisions, shooting was the safest option.

    You're not the only one here from that area. I may not live there *now*, but 99 % of my family still does, I knew *of* Terry from the 30+ years I lived there, My father and brother were/are gun collectors so they bought guns from Terry. I didn't know him hardly at all, other than him commenting on and admiring my horses more than once at the county fairs in my 4-H days, but family members did know him. And based on their knowledge, I believe a good chunk of the news reports. News is always sensationalized, but there's a lot of truth to this particular story.

    My own family owns exotics, and I've always been the "black sheep" since I've been vocally against that from day one. Squirrels and coons are one thing, heck, we've even had groundhogs and foxes. but large predators? No way, no how. they're not pets. Even multi generation captivity breds are unpredictable.

  15. #15
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,564

    Re: The true story behind the exotic animal "escape"

    Ok, now I'm expecting that there maybe more details that I don't know yet and I'll agree that it is POSSIBLE that the police MIGHT have been able to handle this differently. But, when you say that those animals were just pets I think of that women who had her face and hands ripped off by her "pet" chimp a few years ago. And then I think of all the exotic and/or non-native animals that are released by their owners because they became too big to be cared for. The guy may have loved those animals. But, I think he was in over his head. Just because someone calls an animal a "pet" doesn't mean that the animal isn't still dangerous.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-23-2011 at 01:07 AM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25