Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

  1. #1
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,564

    Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,759

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    I prefer to see MLB managers wearing unforms as compared to the NFL's Bill Belichick and his hoodie. i really dislike the NFL mandate that coaches wear some of the horribly ugly NFL branded wear. No, Vince Lombardi didn't wear a uniform and helmet when he coached, but he didn't wear a hoodie either.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  4. #3
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,657

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    And along the clothes/sports thing... when did spectators stop dressing in suits-n-ties and dresses to games (see fans in background of photo in link supplied by savafan)? Obviously that was some sort of "this is how society expects you to dress" thing back in the day. Can you imagine attending a game in this attire?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  5. #4
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,569

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    Now why does a manager wear wristbands?

  6. #5
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,564

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Now why does a manager wear wristbands?
    Because they can't move into the present?

    http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...the_wrist.html

    Baker was clean-shaven and wearing a pair of black sweat bands instead of red.

    “You superstitious?” he was asked.

    “That’s why I have on a different pair of wrist bands,” he said. “If we win, I wear the same ones. If we lose, I change sweat bands, even the color. One time when I was on the Giants, we were playing a three-game series with the Cubs and Billy Williams noticed I kept wearing the same wrist bands but they were losing their colors because we’d won five in a row.”

    And what else after the big loss? “I shaved,” he said. “Beard’s gone.”

    For those who wonder why Baker wears wrist bands when he never plays, he says, “Force of habit. Always wore ‘em when I played so I’ve just kept wearing ‘em.”

    Superstition?

    “Probably,” he said.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  7. #6
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    And along the clothes/sports thing... when did spectators stop dressing in suits-n-ties and dresses to games (see fans in background of photo in link supplied by savafan)? Obviously that was some sort of "this is how society expects you to dress" thing back in the day. Can you imagine attending a game in this attire?
    I think this stopped back in the 70s.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  8. #7
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,438

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Now why does a manager wear wristbands?
    The same reason a quarterback wears them? That's where all of the plays are written down!
    /r/reds

  9. #8
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,569

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think this stopped back in the 70s.
    Fewer day games with businessmen skipping work, more casual attire in the rest of society and more concern about the batter's eye (Ted Williams was always complaining about white shirts and the batter's eye).

  10. #9
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    I actually find it embarrassing that baseball makes 60-70 year old men trot out there wearing a uniform.

    Is the guy potentially up to play in the game? Then make sure he suits up and put him on the 25 man.

    Otherwise, for god sakes show the managers some respect and let him wear some sensible attire - not make it look like halloween night at the old folks home.

    It's an archaic, ridiculous call back to the olden days when baseball had player managers. Let's let fat, old men don the same uniform our fittest athletes are. Then, we'll have them sit in the same row. And apparently have a laugh like a joke we are all supposed to be in on.

    Baseball happy to cast away or shift key pillars of the game at a whim - instant replay, radical re-alignment, potential contraction, franchise relocation, constant shuffling of all star game/wild cards etc.

    Yet treasures silly nonsense like having the pitchers bat or having managers wear a uniform.







    Last edited by jmcclain19; 10-24-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,715

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    I like it, but baseball is the only one of the bi three that could get away with it. Could you imagine if Red Auerbach had come out in shorts, a tank top and sock garters?

  12. #11
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    I really don't know how to care. I don't understand why people care what I wear on the subway either.

  13. #12
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,759

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    There are several reasons why I believe managers should continue to wear uniforms, including the following:
    1. Unlike in football and basketball, managers and coaches are regularly in the field of play. Not only is the manager or pitching coach a frequent visitor to the mound during most games, there are coaches in both the first base and thrid base boxes throughout the game. What are those coaches supposed to wear, a suit or perhaps Belichick's Patriots hoodie?
    2. In both football and basketball there are other non-players regularly on the field, and those individuals wear uniforms even though they may not always be the "fittest athletes"--they are called officials. Just as in baseball those officials, be they referees or umpires wear a uniform, not street clothes or a Patriots hoodie (although in the "tuck rule" game a decade ago a Patriots hoodie would have been appropriate).
    3. Earl Weaver in a suit and tie kicking dirt on the home plate ump would have looked even more ridiculous than Weaver already appeared).
    4. I am all in favor of abandoning tradition if there clearly is a better way offered by change. For this reason I am hoping MLB makes greater use of instant replay. I can't see where having managers and coaches wear street clothes helps the sport.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  14. #13
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    There are several reasons why I believe managers should continue to wear uniforms, including the following:
    1. Unlike in football and basketball, managers and coaches are regularly in the field of play. Not only is the manager or pitching coach a frequent visitor to the mound during most games, there are coaches in both the first base and thrid base boxes throughout the game. What are those coaches supposed to wear, a suit or perhaps Belichick's Patriots hoodie?
    2. In both football and basketball there are other non-players regularly on the field, and those individuals wear uniforms even though they may not always be the "fittest athletes"--they are called officials. Just as in baseball those officials, be they referees or umpires wear a uniform, not street clothes or a Patriots hoodie (although in the "tuck rule" game a decade ago a Patriots hoodie would have been appropriate).
    3. Earl Weaver in a suit and tie kicking dirt on the home plate ump would have looked even more ridiculous than Weaver already appeared).
    4. I am all in favor of abandoning tradition if there clearly is a better way offered by change. For this reason I am hoping MLB makes greater use of instant replay. I can't see where having managers and coaches wear street clothes helps the sport.
    What MLB would come up with for managers and coaches to wear would most likely be much more ridiculous than wearing the uniform and would make them stick out like a sore thumb. Nothing wrong with managers and coaches wearing uniforms.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  15. #14
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,569

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    Plaid sport coats is the way to go.

  16. #15
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    In the Ether
    Posts
    5,399

    Re: Why baseball managers wear uniforms

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Yet treasures silly nonsense like having the pitchers bat or having managers wear a uniform.
    I'm not really too concerned about manager's attire, but pitchers batting is not silly, it's an integral part of the game. What's next? If a pitcher doesn't need to bat, why should a defensive specialist like a SS or a Catcher? How about 9 offensive players and 9 defensive players like football? That's the natural progression and I'm sure the player's union would be all for it.

    "Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25