Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I did something I swore I would never do

Re: I did something I swore I would never do

So all these people with an iPad, are they/you paying an extra 30-50 dollars a month for the data plan on one of them? How does that work out? To each his own, but I hear so many people casually mentioning their iPad (not on here but in my day to day business) I wonder how it is our economy is in the dumps if people have that much cash on hand to drop. No offense to anyone intended I swear.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So all these people with an iPad, are they/you paying an extra 30-50 dollars a month for the data plan on one of them? How does that work out? To each his own, but I hear so many people casually mentioning their iPad (not on here but in my day to day business) I wonder how it is our economy is in the dumps if people have that much cash on hand to drop. No offense to anyone intended I swear.
    I bought an AT&T enabled iPad because I think I will use anywhere access at some point. However, I have not activated it yet as my use has been mainly just at home on wifi. I thought it was worth it to pay a little more up front than regret not having it down the line. The data plans seem a little steep to me and I'm pretty sure I could easily surpass the 2 GB monthly limits if/when I start paying for one.

My dad is superintendent of a school district and uses the WiFi only version. He has taken it all over the country and has yet to be somewhere without easy WiFi access.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    My dad is superintendent of a school district and uses the WiFi only version. He has taken it all over the country and has yet to be somewhere without easy WiFi access.
    And that depends on the person I'm sure. I don't always have a moochable wi-fi source with my phone when I am out and about, thats for sure. Not that it matters much, but out of curiousity, are most iPadders wi-fi only, or are they subscribing to data plans. I get using one as a de facto laptop, no doubt.

And that depends on the person I'm sure. I don't always have a moochable wi-fi source with my phone when I am out and about, thats for sure. Not that it matters much, but out of curiousity, are most iPadders wi-fi only, or are they subscribing to data plans. I get using one as a de facto laptop, no doubt.
    I got the wifi only version. My wireless bill is high enough, I wasnt about to add more to it.

I will probably use it mostly at home, or when I travel. Most hotels and such have wifi these days. Heck, even the hospital had free wifi when I was there for my mom the last couple months.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    If you like the iPad, you'll love the iPhone. You do need to start putting music onto iTunes. Dunno how someone listens to music without iTunes.
    Never had an iPod or any apple product for that matter. I have used two MP3 players in my life before my phone (Android based). It is really easy. I have used plenty of iPod's and my phone's music player is every bit as good. I don't use iTunes, but I also don't buy music online either (or much in general to be honest, but when I do, its a CD as I like to have the physical copy).

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    What did you get?
    iPhone but a few folks at work have the IPad and I like the size aspect

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    iPhone but a few folks at work have the IPad and I like the size aspect
    That's what she said.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's $25 per month for 2GB of data, but it's no-contract pay-as-you-go. I just recently received an iPad 3G as a gift, and I'm not going to activate data until I have a need to.

So far I love the iPad. I've already downloaded 3 books from Project Gutenberg, watched 3 netflix movies, and used it to track Sunday's fantasy football scores as I watched my Buccaneers lay an egg against the Bears in London.

The iPad makes me wish I knew how to write software, because I can think of a dozen ways it could revolutionize what I do for a living.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

My wife surprised me on my birthday with a first generation iPad on the cheap, just as the 2nd version was coming out, and I love it.

I didn't even know I wanted one until I got it, but I guess that's part of what makes Apple so good at what they do.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Really liking the iPad so far, much more than I thought I would, honestly. The battery life is phenomenal. Typing in landscape mode is pretty easy, I don't do as well in portrait mode though.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I joined the dark side, I bought an Apple product. I had a $500 AMEX gift card from work and bought an iPad2 today. Generally I dislike the cult like following Apple seems to enjoy, as well as the insane prices they charge for their products. I have to say though, this ipad is pretty sweet. The build quality is excellent (some of the other tablets felt like cheap pieces of junk) and everything on it runs smooth as silk. There is no lag at all, or even any harsh looking movements, everything is perfectly fluid and smooth. I had never used iTunes before, and it was pretty easy to sync (I have a PC) and get everything up and running.

I feel like such a traitor now.
    I was that way for the longest time, hating on the cult of Apple and deriding Macs in general. But a few things have happened:

1) I realized that I did not actually want access under the hood; I just needed it because my computer/device broke down so often. Being able to edit my registry did not make my computer better. If I had to do that, something was already wrong.
    2) I realized that I was actually getting a better machine; one that is not only very attractive but that simply works better and is designed for a top notch user experience
    3) As other companies have tried to make more comparable products, their prices have approached Apple's. A Galaxy Tab will run you $350 or more. A Galaxy S phone will cost you $200 with a contract -- same as an iphone. A Droid Bionic will cost you $300. Yes, Apple does not have a cheapo line of low quality devices with less features. If that's what you're looking for, Apple shouldn't even be on your radar.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I too joined the darkside because of a gift certificate. It was two yrs ago and I won an Apple giftcard and I got an iPod. I still feel like I haven't caught up to using it to its fullest
    That's funny to hear, because back in the '90s MacHeads like myself would refer to "Wintel" as the "darkside".
    I'd get really strange looks when I told people my little company ran on Macs.
    "Really? But what about compatibility?".

Times have changed.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'm a software developer and as such Macs aren't practical for the types of applications I develop. I really don't care for Mac's all that much. I think they're fine machines if your intent is only to use the apps that come with it or a few industry specific ones that do run on Mac's, but there are some things such as a lack of context menus and the use if the "Finder" that I just don't like.

TMBS, I do love my iPhone and iPod and would like to have an iPad if I could justify it..
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

My beef with Apple products, besides price, has always been their requirements that you use proprietary software and products laden with DRM. I don't know if they've changed their stance, but if I find an open source alternative that works better, I'd like to use it. And if I create something on my home computer for work, I want to be able to send it to my work computer with no problems. To date, I've only bought an iPod for my wife because she likes to download music from iTunes.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?