Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I did something I swore I would never do

Re: I did something I swore I would never do

nm
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-25-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone else having trouble downloading the newest update for the iPad or Iphone? Every time I get it downloaded right before it finishes it says network connection failed and then starts all over. But when it starts all over the download takes hours to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I got the wifi only version. My wireless bill is high enough, I wasnt about to add more to it.

I will probably use it mostly at home, or when I travel. Most hotels and such have wifi these days. Heck, even the hospital had free wifi when I was there for my mom the last couple months.
    That's the problem I have with getting a smart phone. These cell phone companies are now making it mandatory that you pickup the data plan if you have a smart phone, regardless if you bought the phone from them or not. That's BS

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's the problem I have with getting a smart phone. These cell phone companies are now making it mandatory that you pickup the data plan if you have a smart phone, regardless if you bought the phone from them or not. That's BS
    Well you are using the cell phones network to move that data. Smart phones are data hogs so it makes sense that it costs more. Most of the companies are having to change their data price structure to compensate for how much people use and they aren't unlimited anymore. I can't imagine not having access to some type of smart phone though so it's pretty worth it.

I just have a wifi only version of the iPad and I think as long as I have a smartphone I wouldn't use the 3G verision of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    3) As other companies have tried to make more comparable products, their prices have approached Apple's. A Galaxy Tab will run you $350 or more. A Galaxy S phone will cost you $200 with a contract -- same as an iphone. A Droid Bionic will cost you $300. Yes, Apple does not have a cheapo line of low quality devices with less features. If that's what you're looking for, Apple shouldn't even be on your radar.
    While I'm not an Apple fanatic, I think the pricing argument against Apple doesn't hold nearly as much water as it once did. I read an interesting article in the New York Times talking about how Apple has started to more aggressively price their products and in many cases were able to even undercut their competitors in some markets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/te...q=apple&st=cse

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    While I'm not an Apple fanatic, I think the pricing argument against Apple doesn't hold nearly as much water as it once did. I read an interesting article in the New York Times talking about how Apple has started to more aggressively price their products and in many cases were able to even undercut their competitors in some markets.

It's not really fair to compare the 4S to a Bionic. One is a 4G capable phone and the other is not. If you look at Motorola's 3G phones with similar specs (Droid 3 and Droid X2) you'll find that they are both priced at $199. Both have the dual core processor like the 4S and both have the 8.0MP camera like the 4S. The difference being the 3 and X2 have been out for several months. They were out competing with the iPhone 4 which didn't have the dual core and had a 5.0MP camera.

I think Apple makes great products, I wouldn't argue against that. I also believe that they give you a lot of performance out of the hardware they're selling you. The price thing is still there though and still true.

Take a look at a Macbook Pro. For 2200 bucks you can get one with on board graphics, 750gb 5400rpm hdd, 4gb of ram, and an i7. Plug that hardware into a PC and you can upgrade to a discrete graphics card and still save 1 grand.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post

I find this part amusing:
    Jean-Louis Gassée, a venture capitalist and former Apple executive, said there was a “collective gasp” at how low Apple priced the new MacBook Air.
    If you know your Apple history, it was Gassée who -- in the early days following Jobs' initial departure from Apple -- was the executive who constantly pushed for Apple to sell exclusively in the high-price / high-profit margin arena with their computers. It wasn't until Gassée was ousted that the company even considered targeting mid-range priced machines.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I don't like Apple ever since I realized, after buying three albums on iTunes, that they will only play on iTunes. F that. Amazon gets my business now. I also don't get why iTunes is so indispensable. There are zillions of options out there. Most of them don't trap you inside their product line, either.

Netflix
    Amazon
    Windows Media Player

I'm set.

I would consider an iPad, but since competitors have caught up, I'd probably avoid Apple there too.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I don't like Apple ever since I realized, after buying three albums on iTunes, that they will only play on iTunes.
    This statement isn't true. All music purchased on iTunes is DRM-free and encoded in AAC format -- which should be playable on just about any media player of your choice.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

this.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Well you are using the cell phones network to move that data. Smart phones are data hogs so it makes sense that it costs more. Most of the companies are having to change their data price structure to compensate for how much people use and they aren't unlimited anymore. I can't imagine not having access to some type of smart phone though so it's pretty worth it.

I just have a wifi only version of the iPad and I think as long as I have a smartphone I wouldn't use the 3G verision of it.
    Why can't I pay by the MB? I'd only use a smartphone for the wi-fi. Forget the data downloads

Why can't I pay by the MB? I'd only use a smartphone for the wi-fi. Forget the data downloads
    I'm not an expert on cell phone networks so if somebody is, please feel free to correct me. I believe that data package you pay for supports things like email and the internet on the phone as well as the aps you download and text messages and pictures and things like that.

I suppose you could pay for the MB, but economically that doesn't make much sense for the provider so that's why they don't do it. Same reason you don't pay per ride at Disneyland or King's Island.

I'm not an expert on cell phone networks so if somebody is, please feel free to correct me. I believe that data package you pay for supports things like email and the internet on the phone as well as the aps you download and text messages and pictures and things like that.

I suppose you could pay for the MB, but economically that doesn't make much sense for the provider so that's why they don't do it. Same reason you don't pay per ride at Disneyland or King's Island.
    I'm probably less of an expert than you but what's the harm in my only using the phone for texts, calls and WiFi? If that's all I use it for then why do I need a data package? Does an iPhone eat up more data sending a text than a Motorola flip phone?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Same reason you don't pay per ride at Disneyland or King's Island.
    OT. Thanks for reminding me how old I am. When I went to Disneyland it was pay by ride. You could buy these coupon books with letters A, B, C, D and E rides and each ride would take the corresponding one (Dumbo was A, I believe). If you were out of tickets, you'd buy more. So yeah...pay per ride.
    Boy am I old.

carry on....
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'm probably less of an expert than you but what's the harm in my only using the phone for texts, calls and WiFi? If that's all I use it for then why do I need a data package? Does an iPhone eat up more data sending a text than a Motorola flip phone?
    I used to use a flip-phone and a 7" tablet. Sure, it's two devices, but the clamshell form factor is better for making calls and that tablet gives you a much better browsing experience (and you can fit the 7"ers in any cargo pant pocket).

All I paid was about $30 for my voice plan. You can text from the tablet with google voice.

Turn Off Ads?