Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Brad Boxberger

7 8.64%
  • RHP Dan Corcino

20 24.69%
  • SS Zack Cozart

38 46.91%
  • UT Todd Frazier

0 0%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • OF Yorman Rodriguez

1 1.23%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

0 0%
  • 1B Neftali Soto

3 3.70%
  • RHP Robert Stephenson

9 11.11%
  • 2B Ron Torreyes

2 2.47%
  • other (please list below)

1 1.23%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Corcino. Same reasons I had him at 4, phenomenal K to W numbers for a 21 year old.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As I said before, I picked Stephenson because I like his ceiling, but like Corcino, all the things I've heard about his intangibles (work ethic, attitude, etc.) have been positive.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    As I said before, I picked Stephenson because I like his ceiling, but like Corcino, all the things I've heard about his intangibles (work ethic, attitude, etc.) have been positive.
    Isn't Corcino pretty much what we want out of Stephenson a year or so from now? Does the arguable tick of extra upside in Stephenson really push him past the guy who just dominated the midwest league in his first full season?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Isn't Corcino pretty much what we want out of Stephenson a year or so from now? Does the arguable tick of extra upside in Stephenson really push him past the guy who just dominated the midwest league in his first full season?
    I've seen some scouts at Dayton games characterize Corcino's likely ceiling as a 5th starter. While that may not be the case, it's worth noting that what Stephenson was drafted under the presumption that he had #1 upside. That's a pretty massive difference.

Still voting (writing in) Cingrano.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Still voting (writing in) Cingrano.
    I'll try to remember to put him on the next ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I've also heard that Corcino is seen as more of a middle-to-the-back-of-the-rotation starter--maybe even a setup reliever. It's just a couple reports, so I take it with a grain of salt, but I believe the consensus is that Stephenson has the higher upside.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I've seen some scouts at Dayton games characterize Corcino's likely ceiling as a 5th starter. While that may not be the case, it's worth noting that what Stephenson was drafted under the presumption that he had #1 upside. That's a pretty massive difference.
    And I would wager that has more to do with his size, than his stuff. Stuff wise, Stephenson may be slightly ahead of Corcino, but it isn't by much. We also don't know much about his control of his stuff either. The one thing he has is better size. To me, that combo is why I would take Corcino over Stephenson right now, the unknown simply doesn't outweigh the known.

I've only seen Corcino from the first base line, but unless the Dragons radar gun is way off, I find it hard to believe Corcino's ceiling doesn't go well beyond #5 starter. You don't see many guys sitting mid 90's with a hard slider and dominating single A hitters at twenty years old pegged as back of the rotation innings eaters.

Another offseason, and once again I just don't get the love for Zack Cozart. I was happy to see him be promoted this past season, but I just don't think his career .332 OBP will play well at the MLB level. He has above-average pop and is an above-average defender, but I'd be surprised if he ever OBPs over .320 for the Reds. I can't put a player who's ceiling isn't much higher than mediocre above talents like Corcino, Stephenson, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Stephanson. I expect to see a dominant performance from him next year. The kid has a lot of smarts and is very competitive. Toss in an athletic frame and a downward fastball that touches touch 97, I think he'll start fast in Billings or Dayton next season.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him at the top of this list next year. But so far, he's not thrown a single professional pitch. Hard to put him above a guy who actual did dominate Dayton last year at age 20.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him at the top of this list next year. But so far, he's not thrown a single professional pitch. Hard to put him above a guy who actual did dominate Dayton last year at age 20.
    Agreed. Stephenson may make the bottom part of my personal Top Ten. Then again, he may not. Not having played against any professional competition warrants no votes, IMO.

That said, I'm going with Corcino. Nice numbers across the board. Nice stuff.

I could be persuaded to go Torreyes, but he only had half a season in Dayton and I want to see more before ranking him top five. (Though I really like the kid as a prospect.)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Another offseason, and once again I just don't get the love for Zack Cozart. I was happy to see him be promoted this past season, but I just don't think his career .332 OBP will play well at the MLB level. He has above-average pop and is an above-average defender, but I'd be surprised if he ever OBPs over .320 for the Reds. I can't put a player who's ceiling isn't much higher than mediocre above talents like Corcino, Stephenson, etc...
    2011 MLB Shortstops: .263/.317/.380

So you think he will be above average with the glove and in power, but about average at getting on base. That sounds like a pretty solid player with a little more upside than "mediocre", especially one who is ready to play in the Majors today.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And I would wager that has more to do with his size, than his stuff. Stuff wise, Stephenson may be slightly ahead of Corcino, but it isn't by much. We also don't know much about his control of his stuff either. The one thing he has is better size. To me, that combo is why I would take Corcino over Stephenson right now, the unknown simply doesn't outweigh the known.
    And I think that's the nature of forum prospect lists vs scout prospect lists. We at Redzone follow all of our affiliates all season long, so we tend to go by the production that we've seen over projectability. It's why we hype up guys like Sappelt, Torreyes, and Phipps, while the scouts that maybe only have one game and physical specs to go by have only eyes for big, toolsy guys like Hamilton and Duran. The most accurate lists are probably somewhere in between.

And I think that's the nature of forum prospect lists vs scout prospect lists. We at Redzone follow all of our affiliates all season long, so we tend to go by the production that we've seen over projectability. It's why we hype up guys like Sappelt, Torreyes, and Phipps, while the scouts that maybe only have one game and physical specs to go by have only eyes for big, toolsy guys like Hamilton and Duran. The most accurate lists are probably somewhere in between.
    Scouts are seeing these guys more than once unless they just happen to see a guy called up for one game before they leave. Generally though they are area scouts so they will probably see a team more than once a season for a full series. That may only leave them with seeing a pitcher once. I saw Corcino in April and he wasn't nearly as impressive as he was when I saw him in June. His velocity was probably 3 MPH higher on both ends in June than when I saw him in April, his breaking ball was tigher and his control was much better. So I guess I could see where one guy would say he was a #5 and another could say he was a #3, if they only saw him once.

I still think that the best lists are going to be a blend of scouting and stats, but the stats need to be predictive stats.

Turn Off Ads?