Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillies decline options on Oswalt and Lidge

Phillies decline options on Oswalt and Lidge

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ee-agents.html

The Philadelphia Phillies declined to pick up contract options on Roy Oswalt and Brad Lidge, making the 34-year-old pitchers unrestricted free agents.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillies decline options on Oswalt and Lidge

Yes, please!

"Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I said in the" Get a Pitcher" thread ,I expected Oswalt would go to Red Sox or Yankees.

I change my mind,I think Texas or St. Louis.I would like to have him though.

Considering the success he's had vs the Reds I wonder how he'd feel about pitching FOR the Reds.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Considering the success he's had vs the Reds I wonder how he'd feel about pitching FOR the Reds.
    Yeah, I don't know about that. He's good, no doubt, but he's no spring chicken anymore. Plus I'm wary of acquiring guys who have been good against us - with certain exceptions. The Cubs used to do that. Some player would rake on their pitching and they would go out and get him and he'd stink up the joint mainly because he didn't have to face their pitching anymore.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah, I don't know about that. He's good, no doubt, but he's no spring chicken anymore.
    The guy's 33 and with the exception of this last year he regularly throws 200+ innings with an ERA+ above 100. That's as safe a pitcher as your going to get. Your good over 3 years and it's not a stretch to envision Oswalt being a useful member of your staff in 5 years.

He's got tons of successful post season experience and by all accounts gets as much performance out of his talents as anybody in baseball.

I can't see the reds getting a guy like this, but times (and owners) have changed.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

If he's the kind of guy that would be a good mentor to our young pitching, I might be interested, but the price tag is going to be awfully high.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah, I don't know about that. He's good, no doubt, but he's no spring chicken anymore. Plus I'm wary of acquiring guys who have been good against us - with certain exceptions. The Cubs used to do that. Some player would rake on their pitching and they would go out and get him and he'd stink up the joint mainly because he didn't have to face their pitching anymore.
    I'm not saying I'd want to give him a long term contract. But, IF the price was right I'd be very interested in a 2+ year contract.

My bet is that the Rangers will be the favorites. It would be nice if the Reds were bidders for a change though.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    The guy's 33 and with the exception of this last year he regularly throws 200+ innings with an ERA+ above 100. That's as safe a pitcher as your going to get. Your good over 3 years and it's not a stretch to envision Oswalt being a useful member of your staff in 5 years.
    I get your point, but not so sure I agree with your last sentence. Perhaps all those 200+ IP years have worn down that right arm (and last year is a sign of it?). It is tough to find useful starting pitchers that are in their mid-30's (steroid abusers excluded). More an exception than the rule. Not saying that Oswalt cannot be useful and stay healthy. However, for the kind of $$$ he will get, I'll pass on the risk.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Pass. Oswalt is a great pitcher and could be a huge asset to a team. But his health issues are a giant red flag and precisely the kind of risk the Reds should not be taking.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think his back is his main problem.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If the Reds had the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs unlimited payrolls then I would take a chance on either or both. But the Reds don't have that luxury, have to be smart with their money, with no room for high salary chances or mistakes.

Which is why the NFL, with their salary cap, is better than mlb and their refusal to promote parity.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    If the Reds had the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs unlimited payrolls then I would take a chance on either or both. But the Reds don't have that luxury, have to be smart with their money, with no room for high salary chances or mistakes.

Which is why the NFL, with their salary cap, is better than mlb and their refusal to promote parity.
    2001 Arizona Diamondbacks
    2002 Anaheim Angels
    2003 Florida Marlins
    2004 Boston Red Sox
    2005 Chicago White Sox
    2006 St. Louis Cardinals
    2007 Boston Red Sox
    2008 Philadelphia Phillies
    2009 New York Yankees
    2010 San Francisco Giants

Notice anything that stands out about that list? Compared to the one below I'd say parity is more alive and well at the top in MLB than it is in the NFL where two teams own half the titles in the same time frame. I agree that spending is out of control in certain markets but it has done much to buy World Series rings.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I think his back is his main problem.
    Yep. That's a huge stop sign for me. Back problems almost always lead to arm problems. He would have to be fairly cheap for me to want him now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    2001 Arizona Diamondbacks
    2002 Anaheim Angels
    2003 Florida Marlins
    2004 Boston Red Sox
    2005 Chicago White Sox
    2006 St. Louis Cardinals
    2007 Boston Red Sox
    2008 Philadelphia Phillies
    2009 New York Yankees
    2010 San Francisco Giants

Notice anything that stands out about that list? Compared to the one below I'd say parity is more alive and well at the top in MLB than it is in the NFL where two teams own half the titles in the same time frame. I agree that spending is out of control in certain markets but it has done much to buy World Series rings.
    Ah yes the parity argument. I would buy it but with the exception of the Marlins and the Cardinals the rest of the teams to win the WS came from large markets or spent a large amount of money (Diamondbacks). If you want to make the parity argument and validate it group teams by tiers in payroll and see how often the lower tiered payroll teams win.

Turn Off Ads?