Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will DirecTV subscribers be able to watch the Reds in 2012?

Will DirecTV subscribers be able to watch the Reds in 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will DirecTV subscribers be able to watch the Reds in 2012?

Doesn't something like this happen every year, and then they tell subscribers that they had to increase rates to pay for the new deal?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Saw this on the news yesterday. If they end up not carrying the channels, and getting FoxOhio is one of the reasons I went to Directv, then why couldn't that void my so-called service agreement (contract) with them because they are no longer providing the aforementioned services?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

How will they compensate the customers whose packages include all these stations.

Will they prorate?

Directv is making it seem as if customers would pay 40% more.

I can't wait till streaming is a viable alternative and 4G(?) internet service is available at my residence.

I'm skeptical about these end of the broadcasting world stories. This happens over and over again, and the most that ever happens is some systems lose the channels for a day or so while a deal is reached. The ads are just there to leverage consumer support. If DiretTV really did drop all the channels the ads say they will they would lose a ton of subscribers and go under.
    Last edited by tixe; 10-25-2011 at 07:53 AM.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they are off the air it won't be for long. Maybe a day or two at most. Both sides use all of this bluster to try and garner support from the customers. Usually DirecTv settles these matters pretty quickly.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

this makes me nervous as a directv customer. I will still have time left on my contract. I used to be on dish network and it was just a couple days, but currently in my area Time Warner has not paid for fox so no World Series or NFC football games on Sunday. It's been the entire football year so it's lasting longer then a couple of days.

As I understand it, you will be able to get your assigned local Fox Sports station, but the other regional Fox Sports Nets would not be provided in your market. However, MLB Extra Innings package would be available because that is negotiated with MLB. I am not 100 percent.

Seriously doubt DirecTV will let this happen, I've never had a carriage problem with them through years of using their service. The biggest thing I can think of over the years is that they still don't carry AMC in HD.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Seriously doubt DirecTV will let this happen, I've never had a carriage problem with them through years of using their service. The biggest thing I can think of over the years is that they still don't carry AMC in HD.
    They actually do now carry AMC in HD. They started carrying that last month. As far as this current situation I would not be surprised if the channels get turned off for a short time but I think the sides will eventually come to some agreement long before next baseball season. One thing that probably is making it easier for Directv at this point is with no NBA season yet they won't be missing as much holding out at least on the regional sports networks at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    They didn't have Versus for a long while and us hockey fans missed a lot of the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    They actually do now carry AMC in HD. They started carrying that last month.
    Yep. Now I can watch The Walking Dead , and all it's gore, in HD!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I've been watching The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad in SD. Aghhh
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Stat geek...and proud
    I didn't get NBC for a spell a few years ago on Time Warner. That's why it's smart to just wait it out, because it happens on every carrier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Directv stopped carrying Versus for a short time during contract disputes.

The last big dust-up that I recall was when ABC was demanding more money for their channels, forcing ABC Family and other minor networks into the deal.

I'm a bit nervous about this one. I really want FS Ohio and the other Fox networks. Still, the only leverage carriers have when networks demand huge increases is to simply stop carrying the channels and drastically limiting availability and thus, advertising rates.

Turn Off Ads?