Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seven year old boy "fights" to join girl scouts...

Seven year old boy "fights" to join girl scouts...

Here is the story:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...irl-scout.kusa

This story raises a host of issues. But really can a 7 year old truly make these kinds of choices/decisions?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Seven year old boy "fights" to join girl scouts...

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here is the story:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...irl-scout.kusa

This story raises a host of issues. But really can a 7 year old truly make these kinds of choices/decisions?
    I remember years ago keeping a girlfriend company while she was babysitting and I couldn't help noticing that the young boy she was babysitting was 'different'. Seeing this story makes me think of that kid. I doubt there's many parents that would push a kid to want this. The kid's different. Not much ya can do except accept it.

Should there be a 3rd organization that allows boys and girls to join?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I would probably sit my kid down and tell him that, though there's nothing wrong with having those kinds of interests, sometimes little girls that age want to do stuff without boys hanging around. You may want to join them, but you have to think about their feelings and whether they want you. It's the same way with slumber parties.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Should there be a 3rd organization that allows boys and girls to join?
    Indian guides, maybe?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

MODS: Please move to P&R forum.

No, he can not join girl scouts. He is not a girl. He is a boy. Period.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Indian guides, maybe?
    Pawnee Goddesses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Pawnee Goddesses?

Other than the upper level Venturing program, girls aren't allowed in the Boy Scouts right?

I get the impression the Mom is pushing this far more then this 7 yr old. And I feel sorry for this child now because of the media scrutiny (exposure). IMO, that's going to put a lot of undeserved pressure on this child.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/girl-sc...ry?id=14825506

Until now, Bobby has dressed as a boy in school, but he wore a dress to school one day and was teased, said Archuleta. Since the confrontation with the Girl Scouts, Bobby has identified and dressed as a girl in public.
    "He dresses like a girl, and you can't tell he is a girl?" said his mother.... But no one would know he's a boy unless they pulled his pants down."
    I'd say that's a biggy right there Mom. So dressing up as the opposite sex is the main qualifying condition? What do the other girls in the GS, as well as their parents, feel about this? Or does it matter?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Oh man, what a bummer. I thought they were going to let him in if the boy fought a troop of girl scouts. Misleading title, booooo!
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I remember years ago keeping a girlfriend company while she was babysitting and I couldn't help noticing that the young boy she was babysitting was 'different'. Seeing this story makes me think of that kid. I doubt there's many parents that would push a kid to want this. The kid's different. Not much ya can do except accept it.
    Problem is one doesn't know if they get it honestly. I know of one young boy who's mother raised him from birth as if he were a girl. She wanted a baby girl and so she forced this foolishness on him. He is not homosexual at this point (in high school now) according to him but he acts as girly as any girl I have ever seen including been a constant as a cheerleader since an early age. Sometimes that is all one knows. I actually had a brief relationship with a girl who felt it was ok to buy girl toys for her only child, a son. Needless to say I wasn't interested in continuing that situation.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Oh man, what a bummer. I thought they were going to let him in if the boy fought a troop of girl scouts. Misleading title, booooo!
    First rule of Girl Scout Fight Club is "don't talk about Girl Scout Fight Club."

I agree with Hank Hill's thoughts on this.

That Boy Ain't Right - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Other than the upper level Venturing program, girls aren't allowed in the Boy Scouts right?

I get the impression the Mom is pushing this far more then this 7 yr old. And I feel sorry for this child now because of the media scrutiny (exposure). IMO, that's going to put a lot of undeserved pressure on this child.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/girl-sc...ry?id=14825506

I'd say that's a biggy right there Mom. So dressing up as the opposite sex is the main qualifying condition? What do the other girls in the GS, as well as their parents, feel about this? Or does it matter?
    I don't think it matters when its in the home or with friends and family. However, when it comes to places like school or organizations geared toward gender-specific activities, I feel this kind of thing is inappropriate for that age. I agree with the mom that the Girl Scout leader was insensitive. However, when it comes to school, especially elementary school, it just isn't the forum for dressing or behaving in a way that distracts other children from their education. Same goes for Girl Scouts. The kid may not have a problem with going to camp with a bunch of girls. But I'm sure there are some girls who just won't be comfortable with a boy in the tent or cabin regardless of the gender he identifies with.

If it were my son, I would just tell him its fine for him to dress how he wants at home, and when he gets to high school, we'll look for one that would best suit him. But when it comes to school or private organizations, its their rules and you have to live with it.

Turn Off Ads?