Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seven year old boy "fights" to join girl scouts...

They call me "chef"

Re: Seven year old boy "fights" to join girl scouts...

My wife is a teacher's assistant for kindergarten grade and a few years back there was one boy who dressed like a female animal character from a kid's show during Halloween/costume day. All of the kids thought the costume was nice but none of them paid too much mind either way or cared about it more than any other costume. However, one of the other parents took great offense to it and tried to file a complaint with the principal, saying the costume 'encouraged boys to grow up wanting to be girls'. The principal, who was a very frank, no-nonsense woman, asked the parent if she was worried her son's truck costume would encourage boys to become an automobile when they grow up. That ended the conversation and nothing else came of it. I had a hoot hearing about the story back then and it makes me laugh every time I recall it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If it were my son, I would just tell him its fine for him to dress how he wants at home, and when he gets to high school, we'll look for one that would best suit him. But when it comes to school or private organizations, its their rules and you have to live with it.
    I would tell him he can dress neutral but he's not going to wear female stuff as long as he's under my roof

If he were my son, there is one thing that would be certain. I'd make sure that he knows to his core that he is loved.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If he were my son, I would tell him that he is a boy and should act like it. No way are you born that way. I blame the parents.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Seems like a somewhat appropriate place for this.

Boys Swimming on Girls Teams Find Success, Then Draw Jeers

During his first-period broadcast Monday, the Norwood High athletic director Brian McDonough congratulated Will Higgins for breaking the meet record in the 50-yard freestyle the previous day at the Massachusetts South Division fall swimming and diving championships.

McDonough chose not to mention that it was a girls swimming championship.

Higgins, a senior, and Rodriguez, a sophomore, are among roughly two dozen boys competing on girls teams in Massachusetts because their schools do not have boys swimming programs. They are able to do so because of the open access amendment to the state constitution, which was voted into law in the 1970s and mandates that boys and girls must be afforded equal access to athletics.

Jay Mohr yesterday asked which school in MA is going to be the first to drop boys basketball and take the boys varsity players and put them on the girls basketball team and start destroying teams.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/sp...-draw-ire.html
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Bump.

This didn't end too well. The troop disbanded.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...ref=gay-voices

It is also their right to decide that way.

They call me "chef"

Note that the three leaders and their troops that disbanded are NOT the troop that the boy joined. They are leaders from a different state (Louisiana) who are boycotting the Colorado Girl Scouts' public statement that they accept the boy and all children who identify and live as girls. The three leaders are also using the situation as an opportunity to join a Christian version of the Girl Scouts as an alternative organization for the local community's girls.

Sometimes as Christians we have to search out of state to find our own personal extracurricular persecutions to be outraged over.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Note that the three leaders and their troops that disbanded are NOT the troop that the boy joined. They are leaders from a different state (Louisiana) who are boycotting the Colorado Girl Scouts' public statement that they accept the boy and all children who identify and live as girls. The three leaders are also using the situation as an opportunity to join a Christian version of the Girl Scouts as an alternative organization for the local community's girls.

Sometimes as Christians we have to search out of state to find our own personal extracurricular persecutions to be outraged over.
    I guess I have to skim a little slower next time.

They call me "chef"

I had to read it again after I read a user comment on the article that more clearly pointed it out. The article itself skims over the state difference pretty casually and entirely leaves out the actual Colorado troop's reaction and experience since the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I would probably sit my kid down and tell him that, though there's nothing wrong with having those kinds of interests, sometimes little girls that age want to do stuff without boys hanging around. You may want to join them, but you have to think about their feelings and whether they want you. It's the same way with slumber parties.
    agree

Turn Off Ads?