Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

He DID oversign, Brutus. He just didn't oversign as many as Alabama or LSU.

He recruited a lot of players that got into some serious trouble and garnered a reputation for having an "outlaw" program.

Let's not make Meyer out to be some sort of holy crusader against all that's unholy in big-time football, please. Many of us got enough of that from OSU fans with Tressel.

Meyer is a fantastic coach. He has a fantastic system. (Or at least did while at Florida.) He should, barring an unfortunate setback in his health or a lack of focus brought about by a brush with mortality, make Ohio State a national title contender in short order.

But he's not a paragon of virtue. He did, after all, coach in the SEC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    I am in no way defending Meyer's record of arrests at Florida, it was not acceptable. It wasn't, however, as unusual as you might think. Penn State had 46 players arrested between 2002-2008, Georgia had 33 players arrested between 2007-2010.

Here is a better rundown of every arrest with both the legal outcome and the team punishment. Link

If your beef is that Meyer was soft on these issues, or that he encouraged them because he wasn't strict enough, then (with a couple of exceptions, see Carlos Dunlap) I don't agree. Meyer is pretty consistent and handed out plenty of tough punishment without regard to player skill. Again, he essentially kicked Cam Newton off the team.

If you think the issue is that he should be more careful about who he recruits, then I suppose you might have a case. "The Ohio State Way" though hasn't been anything other then lip service in a long time. I can't believe anyone at this point thinks Tressel recruited based on character any more then any other big-time coach.

Urban is pretty clearly aware that this was an issue at Florida. He spent some time addressing it at his introduction. I'd like to give him a chance to do better at OSU before I assume he's going to turn the program into Miami North.
    This makes complete and utter sense.

Were most rabid fans as grounded and intelligent as you.

(I know of many in my neck of the woods, for example, who are not.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    He DID oversign, Brutus. He just didn't oversign as many as Alabama or LSU.

He recruited a lot of players that got into some serious trouble and garnered a reputation for having an "outlaw" program.

Let's not make Meyer out to be some sort of holy crusader against all that's unholy in big-time football, please. Many of us got enough of that from OSU fans with Tressel.

Meyer is a fantastic coach. He has a fantastic system. (Or at least did while at Florida.) He should, barring an unfortunate setback in his health or a lack of focus brought about by a brush with mortality, make Ohio State a national title contender in short order.

But he's not a paragon of virtue. He did, after all, coach in the SEC.
    Everyone oversigns. You have to. You can't sign at the limit or you'll never fulfill your allotment of players. However, they didn't exactly oversign by much... they averaged 92 players in a 4-year cycle. You take away normal attrition, and that's hardly oversigning. And again, you're conflating oversigning (technically speaking) with pushing players out the door in order to bring in new players. Clearly, since he is actually below the national average in players signed... he's not doing that; or rather if he is, he's doing it a heck of a lot less than most everyone else.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't think tOSU fans will have to worry about Meyer running afoul of the NCAA. But you didn't really have to worry about Tressel either. The problem will be the boosters and the alumni.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Its funny, I always looked at Meyer at UF running a rogue program. He had a ton of arrest during his tenure as head coach down there. It was all glossed over because Tebow was the second coming. You heard great stories about Tebow and very little about the arrests. I was upset when Meyer allowed Dunlap to play in the SEC title game after he passed out with his foot on the break of an intersection. I think it was a move solely based upon winning and not about holding your program to higher standards.

Its ironic how things change. At OSU I always thought they held themselves to higher standards than other programs (especially in the south). They promoted how they held a higher academic standard than other football programs. There were stories about Tressel not offering a scholarship to Javon Ringer because they didn't think he would qualify. I liked looking at my Buckeyes through scarlet and grey colored glasses. I like thinking that they hold themselves to higher standards while winning as well. I like to think they don't use SEC tactics in recruiting. I like to think that they don't hire coaches that scream violation like USC did with Kiffen.

As much as I want a clean program I like winning. I am willing to give Meyer the benefit of the doubt. I want winning as well as a program handled with class. At times it becomes too much to handle. I rooted for Terelle Pryor but thought he handled himself like an idiot. I also am excited to see Carlos Dunlap play when he plays for the Bengals. Its amazing what happens when someone you thought was rogue becomes one of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its funny, I always looked at Meyer at UF running a rogue program. He had a ton of arrest during his tenure as head coach down there. It was all glossed over because Tebow was the second coming. You heard great stories about Tebow and very little about the arrests. I was upset when Meyer allowed Dunlap to play in the SEC title game after he passed out with his foot on the break of an intersection. I think it was a move solely based upon winning and not about holding your program to higher standards.

Its ironic how things change. At OSU I always thought they held themselves to higher standards than other programs (especially in the south). They promoted how they held a higher academic standard than other football programs. There were stories about Tressel not offering a scholarship to Javon Ringer because they didn't think he would qualify. I liked looking at my Buckeyes through scarlet and grey colored glasses. I like thinking that they hold themselves to higher standards while winning as well. I like to think they don't use SEC tactics in recruiting. I like to think that they don't hire coaches that scream violation like USC did with Kiffen.

As much as I want a clean program I like winning. I am willing to give Meyer the benefit of the doubt. I want winning as well as a program handled with class. At times it becomes too much to handle. I rooted for Terelle Pryor but thought he handled himself like an idiot. I also am excited to see Carlos Dunlap play when he plays for the Bengals. Its amazing what happens when someone you thought was rogue becomes one of your own.
    They spend more money on their football program then any other college, they are (to some) the Yankees of College football.

Kinda ironic eh?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I didn't care for Meyer because of his smugness, but my opinion of him had a very shallow basis from the '06 NC events. Buckeyes will now get to know him better. As for judging any coach by the off field behavior of his players, I've never seen that as much of a measuring stick for a coach, not to mention the behavior is often similar to the undergraduate population as a whole, except no one cares if a Business Major is getting a DWI.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They spend more money on their football program then any other college, they are (to some) the Yankees of College football.

Kinda ironic eh?
    Ohio State or Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Ohio State or Florida?
    OSU spent 35 million on their program last year the most in the NCAA, to me I don't care but find it ironic that do many on this board lambast the Yankees and Sox for doing the same thing in PRO baseball but don't say boo about it happening in College Football.

OSU spent 35 million on their program last year the most in the NCAA, to me I don't care but find it ironic that do many on this board lambast the Yankees and Sox for doing the same thing in PRO baseball but don't say boo about it happening in College Football.
    They also have the largest athletic department in the country...

I guess it is hard to understand the connection when you are talking about spending on player salaries vs. program expenses. Plus, the $35M needs some comparison to other programs' spending. Saying its "the most" doesn't say much.

Regardless, it is a loose comparison to the disparity in spending in MLB that is primarily based on market size.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess it is hard to understand the connection when you are talking about spending on player salaries vs. program expenses. Plus, the $35M needs some comparison to other programs' spending. Saying its "the most" doesn't say much.

Regardless, it is a loose comparison to the disparity in spending in MLB that is primarily based on market size.

I see what you are saying, comparing College Football to MLB does not translate very well, but the disparity between the top and bottom of schools in the top six conferences is quite massive, reguardless of what the cause of it is. You have to look no farther than the disparity between spending at OSU to UC. I don't want to speak for WOY, but I think his point is that fans of teams like UC could only dream of an athleteic department that can supply facilities and services like OSU can. It plays huge in the success of OSU in recruiting, which translates to winning more on the field.

In effect, OSU is able to pull in the "big names" just like the Yankees in large part to the money at their disposal, reguardless of whether that money goes directly to the players. Tradition plays pretty big into the equation also, and I don't want anyone to think I'm saying it is all about the spending of the athletic department. The fact of the matter is that many non OSU fans do see the Buckeyes as the Yankees of college football around here. Wether it be because of the money spent, or the jealousy of winning. Success will do that.

Nothing wrong with being envied, which if we are going to be honest is where all the "hatred" is about. Envy over success and resources. Just like the Yankees.

So for those knocking OSU,

Name your top-5, for lack of a better term "clean" programs who also are successful on the field.

Just curious here.

Kinda ironic eh?
    Where is Oregon on this list, WOY? Phil Knight spends like crazy for them so just wondering.

Thanks!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So for those knocking OSU,

Name your top-5, for lack of a better term "clean" programs who also are successful on the field.

Just curious here.
    Oklahoma, Miami, Texas A & M, USC, Oregon

Oh wait you said successful on the field, take Miami and aTm off the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?