Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Thought I would start a new thread as the other thread is reaching the magical plateau, where it will scurry off to the archives.

I like the throwback uniform. It keeps things fresh, and it has to excite the players.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Fickle is an idiot!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Jeez, this has been the week for crazy games!
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Fun game to watch, lots of issues with OSU, they are held together with duct tape and chewing gum, but it kind of works.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Fun game to watch, lots of issues with OSU, they are held together with duct tape and chewing gum, but it kind of works.
    I thought they looked pretty solid against a pretty good team.I agree that it was a fun game to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I thought they looked pretty solid against a pretty good team.I agree that it was a fun game to watch.
    Oh, no doubt, I just see problems that we aren't used to seeing at Ohio State.

1. The secondary play has been bad. Especially late in games.
    2. The pass rush is just adequate.
    3. Tackling is at a level below what tOSU has exhibited in many years.

gap

4. The offense is what can be expected, a young group with growing pains, but they are growing. Braxton Miller may just be the stud, we thought he was going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Oh, no doubt, I just see problems that we aren't used to seeing at Ohio State.

1. The secondary play has been bad. Especially late in games.
    2. The pass rush is just adequate.
    3. Tackling is at a level below what tOSU has exhibited in many years.

gap

4. The offense is what can be expected, a young group with growing pains, but they are growing. Braxton Miller may just be the stud, we thought he was going to be.
    I think our corners are ok. I think our safeties have been a train wreck. But that's just me, and it may be a rather silly observation. The pass rush minus Simon is a problem indeed, but it's a very young defensive line rotation, so I'd give it some time. Hankins in the middle isn't great at rushing the passer, but he was a huge difference against Wisconsin this time around stopping the run. And the poor tackling comes with youth. We saw many of these same problems in 2004, and by 2005 and 2006, we were watching one of the greatest teams in years lace up at OSU.

I'm just happy that the team continues to get better and show progress. They would probably have lost this game two or three games ago, but found a way tonight. The amount of youth on this team is mind blowing right now. True freshman Braxton Miller completing the game winning TD to true freshmen Evan Spencer. True freshman Ryan Shazier blocking that punt and being scooped up by true freshmen Doran Grant. True freshmen Bradley Roby was solid at CB all night and did a good job in run support.

Honestly it shouldn't have been as close as it was. I think OSU largely outplayed Wisconsin and the better team won.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm just happy that the team continues to get better and show progress. They would probably have lost this game two or three games ago, but found a way tonight. The amount of youth on this team is mind blowing right now. True freshman Braxton Miller completing the game winning TD to true freshmen Evan Spencer. True freshman Ryan Shazier blocking that punt and being scooped up by true freshmen Doran Grant. True freshmen Bradley Roby was solid at CB all night and did a good job in run support.

Honestly it shouldn't have been as close as it was. I think OSU largely outplayed Wisconsin and the better team won.
    I agree. We have a lot of young (solid) talent on this team, and Miller is getting better each week.

You want to say "what if?" in those two losses to MSU and Nebraska, whom we played tough; but one just has to point to the youth and experience, even though in both those games Fickle's decision-making didn't impress me one bit.

The Badgers were badly outplayed in this game. And the reason I called Fickle an idiot earlier (my emotions were high) is because, IMO, he almost blew this game late by going to a prevent defense. I HATE that scheme. Braxton bailed his butt out or else it would have been another late game loss.

And a HUGE call-out to #44 Zach Boren who does an excellent job as a blocking FB in the running game.

We have Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, and Michigan left. I think we can run the table and finish 9-3. Penn State is barely squeaking by mediocre-to-bad teams, and their remaining schedule is a tough one (Illinois, Nebraska, OSU, and Wisconsin). The Michigan game, IMO, will be a test, but I think we'll win it because of our defense.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-30-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

Devin Smith actually had the game-winner last night, but he's a true freshman also .

This is shaping up to be very similar to 2004. That team lost its FIRST THREE Big 10 games, and the sky was falling, fire Tressel, yada yada yada. Then they gelled and took off like a rocket.

I'll tell you this.... if the Buckeyes win out, find a way to claim the Big 10 title, and Fickell gets rehired, he can thank this game. We may be looking at this game many years down the road saying "This is where the Fickell era began." Long shot? Maybe. But I've gotta be honest, I could see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Devin Smith actually had the game-winner last night, but he's a true freshman also .

This is shaping up to be very similar to 2004. That team lost its FIRST THREE Big 10 games, and the sky was falling, fire Tressel, yada yada yada. Then they gelled and took off like a rocket.

I'll tell you this.... if the Buckeyes win out, find a way to claim the Big 10 title, and Fickell gets rehired, he can thank this game. We may be looking at this game many years down the road saying "This is where the Fickell era began." Long shot? Maybe. But I've gotta be honest, I could see it happening.
    You're right, my bad. I had a high level of euphoria last night

Fickell still has a ways to go as a coach, but he too is showing signs that he is learning. I think the team made some good adjustments last night and even though I didn't love the play calling and obviously the defensive let down in the 4th quarter it will still better than some other games.

I really hope that the Bucks can win the next three and Nebraska or Wisconsin (or both) take out Penn State. It has been too long since the OSU/Michigan game mattered and this years game could very likely be for the winner taking a spot in the BTCG. That would be awesome.

The game is now being replayed on ESPNU.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I really do not want Fickell back, because that probably means that Jim Bollman is still around. If his QB can't handle a screen pass, a slant, a few routes over the middle, or the option, then play someone else. A coach who doesn't have the confidence in his own ability to let his players make plays instead of trying to keep from making mistakes needs to find another line of work. Running a variety of 4 plays a game is insanity inducing.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Yeah, it's obvious Fickell is getting better and it's a lot to expect a guy with no head coaching experience to come in and take over in a situation like he did. I just fear that the team showing improvement will mean Fickell becomes the permanent head coach. He's just not ready for that. I think it would be a tough sell to recruits and I'd be more worried about that than the actual coaching on saturdays.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Somebody mentioned the play of the safeties this season and I just gotta say it: CJ Barnett is a stud...

Turn Off Ads?