Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Somebody mentioned the play of the safeties this season and I just gotta say it: CJ Barnett is a stud...
    In run support he has been. On pass pro, not so much. Just saying that they need to get better.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wouldn't mind seeing Fickell brought back and here is why.

This team has improved as the season has gone along. They now have a realistic chance to go to the Big 10 title game, heck you could even say they may be the favorites to do so. The team is extremely young and a QB who was about as raw as they come. If you take out the Miami debacle they have been in position to win every other game this season.

The other part of me that wouldn't mind is the quality of coaches out there. Lets say Urban Meyer doesn't want to return to coaching right now. So now you have your up and coming coaches, retreads, and lateral move coaches. With the exception of Meyer I don't see any other home run coaches out there. There isn't a Saben or even Patrino out there who would take the job. I don't really want to go the ex-has been NFL coach either. A guy like Pelini would interest me but I don't know if he leaves Nebraska. And I hope and pray that OSU doesn't pull off a Rich Rod hire that sets the program back 5+ years. That brings me to the up and coming coaches, and you can make the argument that Fickell would fit into that group. Do you want a coach with on the job training at San Diego State? or a coach whose on the job training at OSU? If Fickell can pull of a Big 10 title game appearance I think you can say it would have been one of the best non championship coaching jobs in OSU history.

I do think that Bollman is a problem but if you hire Fickell you would have to give him the power to hire/fire coaches at his disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The other part of me that wouldn't mind is the quality of coaches out there. Lets say Urban Meyer doesn't want to return to coaching right now. So now you have your up and coming coaches, retreads, and lateral move coaches. With the exception of Meyer I don't see any other home run coaches out there. There isn't a Saben or even Patrino out there who would take the job. I don't really want to go the ex-has been NFL coach either. A guy like Pelini would interest me but I don't know if he leaves Nebraska. And I hope and pray that OSU doesn't pull off a Rich Rod hire that sets the program back 5+ years. That brings me to the up and coming coaches, and you can make the argument that Fickell would fit into that group. Do you want a coach with on the job training at San Diego State? or a coach whose on the job training at OSU? If Fickell can pull of a Big 10 title game appearance I think you can say it would have been one of the best non championship coaching jobs in OSU history.
    If I remember correctly, I don't remember Tressel being a highly sought out coach and that turned out pretty good, and he came from a Division I-AA school.

I agree with what a few others here have said, Ohio State is not the place for a new head coach to learn on the job. One year's experience is not enough. I think Fickell has done a respectable job, but I've seen a lot things this season that have been huge downgrades from what Buckeye fans are accustomed to seeing, and I can't blame it all on youth.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If I remember correctly, I don't remember Tressel being a highly sought out coach and that turned out pretty good, and he came from a Division I-AA school.

I agree with what a few others here have said, Ohio State is not the place for a new head coach to learn on the job. One year's experience is not enough. I think Fickell has done a respectable job, but I've seen a lot things this season that have been huge downgrades from what Buckeye fans are accustomed to seeing, and I can't blame it all on youth.
    At what point does on the job training become a resume builder?

I may be getting a little ahead of myself here, but there is a real good chance that OSU goes 3-1 or 4-0 to finish off the season. If they go 4-0 they win the division and head to the title game. Now if that happens at UC he would become one of the hottest coaching candidates in the nation.

I get the notion that you don't want a coach to get his on the job training at OSU. But I also think that one year in the pressure cooker known as OSU football is worth a heck of a lot more than a year or two in a MAC school. The thing is Fickell was considered a top coaching candidate when jobs would open up elsewhere. He may go the Mark Snyder route and become an utter failure at a program or he may just go the Bo Pelini or Mark Dantonio and build a very good program at a top tier school.

Other than his inexperience (which has shown at times) I think Fickell has done and admirable job in dealing with tattoo's, suspensions, and Bauserman's this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    At what point does on the job training become a resume builder?

I may be getting a little ahead of myself here, but there is a real good chance that OSU goes 3-1 or 4-0 to finish off the season. If they go 4-0 they win the division and head to the title game. Now if that happens at UC he would become one of the hottest coaching candidates in the nation.

I get the notion that you don't want a coach to get his on the job training at OSU. But I also think that one year in the pressure cooker known as OSU football is worth a heck of a lot more than a year or two in a MAC school. The thing is Fickell was considered a top coaching candidate when jobs would open up elsewhere. He may go the Mark Snyder route and become an utter failure at a program or he may just go the Bo Pelini or Mark Dantonio and build a very good program at a top tier school.

Other than his inexperience (which has shown at times) I think Fickell has done and admirable job in dealing with tattoo's, suspensions, and Bauserman's this season.
    Would Ohio State ever hire a coach from the outside with only one year as a head coach on his resume? I certainly don't think so. How many recruits will be turned off considering there are so many unknowns about him?

And I would have to disagree that a coach making it to the title game in the Big East would make him the hottest candidates in the country, with only one year of experience under his belt and winning with another coach's recruits.

I agee, I think he has done a very admirable job considering the circumstances he inherited, but I want a more proven commodity for one of the top football programs in the country.

I think if Urban Meyer wants the job OSU will give it to him, no matter what Luke Fickell does the rest of the season.

If he doesn't want the job and people like Bob Stoops or Nick Saban don't want it either and Fickell gets to the BIG Championship Game, I think he has a good chance at being retained.

He hasn't completely sold me yet. He still makes mistakes that he shouldn't make like going for 1, realizing he should be going for 2 and wasting a time out. But you can see his growth from the start of the season and if can continue to be less Zookian by the end of the season I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him.

If Urban Meyer doesn't want it then I think it'll be Fickell if he takes them to Indianapolis in December

What's all this nonsense about Fickel not being able to recruit? I thought he was Tressel's go-to guy to seal recruits?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Would Ohio State ever hire a coach from the outside with only one year as a head coach on his resume? I certainly don't think so. How many recruits will be turned off considering there are so many unknowns about him?

And I would have to disagree that a coach making it to the title game in the Big East would make him the hottest candidates in the country, with only one year of experience under his belt and winning with another coach's recruits.

I agee, I think he has done a very admirable job considering the circumstances he inherited, but I want a more proven commodity for one of the top football programs in the country.
    Jim Tressel was a unique situation in that he was an OSU guy who was very highly sought after as head coaching candidate, but he made it clear that he was perfectly content at YSU. He almost threw his hat into the Miami (I think) job and threw his hat into the OSU coaching job a decade ago. I don't think you will have another coach like that this time around.

Name a hot coaching candidate who built his team. Even Brain Kelly at UC did it with the majority of Dantonio's guys. It takes time, at least 3 years, to build your program the way you want it. Most hot coaches jump from job to job without staying at a program for more than a handful of years. The guys who stick around for 5+ years tend to be more hesitant to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think if Urban Meyer wants the job OSU will give it to him, no matter what Luke Fickell does the rest of the season.

If he doesn't want the job and people like Bob Stoops or Nick Saban don't want it either and Fickell gets to the BIG Championship Game, I think he has a good chance at being retained.

He hasn't completely sold me yet. He still makes mistakes that he shouldn't make like going for 1, realizing he should be going for 2 and wasting a time out. But you can see his growth from the start of the season and if can continue to be less Zookian by the end of the season I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him.
    Yep, that's my take too. If you were to ask me this question 4-5 weeks ago, I would have said it was a foregone conclusion that he'd never get the job. Things change though.

"Zookian" I have never seen a more cluelss game coach.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If Urban Meyer doesn't want it then I think it'll be Fickell if he takes them to Indianapolis in December
    I agree.Wonder what happens if they win in Indianapolis,(if they make it there I think they will)win the Rose Bowl and then have Urban Meyer come calling?

If Urban Meyer comes calling, you hire him. Period! How many times in collegiate athletics have we seen this happen where an interim coach comes in and does a pretty good job in tough circumstances and is rewarded with the permanent job only to show that they weren't ready. It has happened in basketball more than football, but it has happened before. There's little that the Bucks could do the rest of this year that would make me want Fickell to be given the permanent gig unless there's no one else worthy of the job that really wants it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Yeah, it's obvious Fickell is getting better and it's a lot to expect a guy with no head coaching experience to come in and take over in a situation like he did. I just fear that the team showing improvement will mean Fickell becomes the permanent head coach. He's just not ready for that. I think it would be a tough sell to recruits and I'd be more worried about that than the actual coaching on saturdays.
    The job is Urban Meyer's if he wants it. Actually let me correct myself... the job if Urban Meyer's if he decides to take it. He wants it... but he has to decide if he wants to be back on the sidelines next season.

They've gotten the numbers, coaching budgets and all that stuff already out of the way. It's just a matter of being offered and then getting an acceptance. I don't anticipate Fickell being retained regardless of what happens the rest of the season... unless Meyer decides to stay in the booth.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The job is Urban Meyer's if he wants it. Actually let me correct myself... the job if Urban Meyer's if he decides to take it. He wants it... but he has to decide if he wants to be back on the sidelines next season.

They've gotten the numbers, coaching budgets and all that stuff already out of the way. It's just a matter of being offered and then getting an acceptance. I don't anticipate Fickell being retained regardless of what happens the rest of the season... unless Meyer decides to stay in the booth.
    So are you saying that a deal has already been negotiated with a guy that may or may not want to coach again?If so when did this take place?I know you've been around the program and I'm sure you have a source or two but I really find this hard to believe.

This is unfortunate:
    Ohio State has replaced Cincinnati with Central Florida on the 2012 football schedule, OSU announced this afternoon.

The game against the Bearcats has been rescheduled for an undetermined date in 2018. The teams will also meet in 2014 as scheduled. Both games will be in Columbus, as will the Central Florida game, which is scheduled for Sept. 8.
    http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/s...incinnati.html

Why can't they get together?

Turn Off Ads?