Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Washington actually commented to the media that he thinks he'll be playing for Meyer, not Fickell. Seems a pretty low class thing to say, IMO.

And if the Meyer rumors turn out to be true and its announced soon, I wonder if that sways guys like Stanford. Meyer's receivers have done pretty well in the NFL. Of course, maybe he just doesn't want to stay close to home and loves the Oregon program. Can't say that I'd blame him for that.

But given the choice between getting a top tier defensive end and a top tier receiver, I'll take the end every time.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's interesting about Adolphus Washington committing.

I fully expect OSU to lose to Michigan. The bubble is bound to pop some time. And I think it will be an ugly game. UM will pack 8 in the box and dare OSU to throw. Posey will have to come up huge. OSU's defense will have to tackle better than they have been.

Plus the game is in Ann Arbor and we have a rookie head coach and a rookie QB. Even though UM has declined, that's still a really tough place to play and it is Ohio State-Michigan after all.

And OSU is going to look pretty silly if Meyer declines. And then what?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Washington actually commented to the media that he thinks he'll be playing for Meyer, not Fickell. Seems a pretty low class thing to say, IMO.

And if the Meyer rumors turn out to be true and its announced soon, I wonder if that sways guys like Stanford. Meyer's receivers have done pretty well in the NFL. Of course, maybe he just doesn't want to stay close to home and loves the Oregon program. Can't say that I'd blame him for that.

But given the choice between getting a top tier defensive end and a top tier receiver, I'll take the end every time.
    To be blunt on the Stanford thing, I am glad he went elsewhere. This team needs offensive linemen in the worst sort of way. Ohio State has three commits at WR already, and useful returning guys next year. Stanford was a luxury item. Ohio State only has one true tackle returning next year, in Andrew Norwell. Gotta beef up the line.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

If the rumors are true that Urban is taking the job, and if Washington has been informed of this, then no doubt Stanford was informed as well.

I read somewhere that Urban has been removed from the broadcast team for the game this weekend. Kind of seals the deal in my mind, a whole lot of smoke.

Attack Cat!

More rumors, this time that the deal is done per Bill Greene at Scouts

https://twitter.com/#!/BillBankGreen...79149758316545

A nice rundown of the situation from O-Zone

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/20...rumormill.html

It's pretty safe to assume that Meyer will be the next coach at tOSU.
    Last edited by OUReds; 11-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    More rumors, this time that the deal is done per Bill Greene at Scouts

https://twitter.com/#!/BillBankGreen...79149758316545

A nice rundown of the situation from O-Zone

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/20...rumormill.html

It's pretty safe to assume that Meyer will be the next coach at tOSU.
    As I said... people were told last week. It's def. a done deal.

ESPN honchos were informed last Thursday. That is why Meyer was pulled off the broadcast of the OSU-Michigan game for this week.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I can't wait until this is actually official. I know it is basically done, but I'll be much happier once he has signed on the line that is dotted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    As I said... people were told last week. It's def. a done deal.

ESPN honchos were informed last Thursday. That is why Meyer was pulled off the broadcast of the OSU-Michigan game for this week.
    Yet he denied it during the broadcast of the UM-Neb game... a no comment would have sufficed I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yet he denied it during the broadcast of the UM-Neb game... a no comment would have sufficed I suppose
    There's not really a right way or a wrong way to handle those rumors. What was interesting about his denial during that broadcast is that he did not specifically deny the Ohio State job when asked. What he said is that he has not been "offered" or "accepted" "any" jobs. Instead of specifically denying the Ohio State job, he simply made a blanket statement that he hasn't been offered or accepted anything from anyone.

It's not just semantics, but rather he was telling the truth. There's no "official" offer in place by Ohio State and thus there was not an offer to accept.

What he didn't say during the denial was A) that he had not been talking to anyone and B) that he didn't intend to accept Ohio State's offer when it was official.

It will be official this week, and he's already told Ohio State and ESPN he will be taking it when it is in writing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

There's not really a right way or a wrong way to handle those rumors. What was interesting about his denial during that broadcast is that he did not specifically deny the Ohio State job when asked. What he said is that he has not been "offered" or "accepted" "any" jobs. Instead of specifically denying the Ohio State job, he simply made a blanket statement that he hasn't been offered or accepted anything from anyone.

It's not just semantics, but rather he was telling the truth. There's no "official" offer in place by Ohio State and thus there was not an offer to accept.

What he didn't say during the denial was A) that he had not been talking to anyone and B) that he didn't intend to accept Ohio State's offer when it was official.

It will be official this week, and he's already told Ohio State and ESPN he will be taking it when it is in writing.
    Sounds like lawyerball to me!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sounds like lawyerball to me!
    Most everything in life comes down to the letter of the law anyhow.

Regardless, does it matter what he tells us publicly? He doesn't owe the media or fans the truth. He's been up front with the people involved in any side of the process, so that's really all that matters.

Well he denied more than that. He said that there has not even been an interview:

“If something happens with Ohio State, I’ll have a decision to make,” Meyer said. “But there has been no interview. There has been no offer to make a decision about.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...NGlN_blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well he denied more than that. He said that there has not even been an interview:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...NGlN_blog.html
    Of course there hasn't been an interview. And there won't be. You don't need to interview guys that already have two national titles.

He's absolutely telling the truth on that.

You notice he didn't say there hasn't been contact? People are looking at these quotes too broadly. He's telling the truth. There hasn't been an interview. He hasn't had an "offer." He's able to refute the rumors rather honestly right now.
    Last edited by Brutus; 11-22-2011 at 08:57 PM.

I would go as far to say Meyer fed the question verbatim to the announcer that asked him about the rumor, and I dont fault him for doing so.

It looks like it's going to happen. You have to give tOSU credit for selling him on the program despite the possible NCAA sanctions. He's the best free agent coach out there and they snapped him up.

That said, I'm not sure he's going to have any more success than Tressel did. Sure, he's going to get all the great Ohio recruits but you could get Barney Fife as head coach and they would get the top Ohio recruits. Whether he can get recruits from below the Mason-Dixon and the success he has with those - and other - recruits will define his success. But to achieve that success he will have to go one better than Tressel and win those BCS championship games. His offense may look better than Tressel's but unless he wins those BCS championship games he's not going to be judged any better than Tressel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?