Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't have much of an issue with the ruling itself. A one year bowl band wasn't all that bad and I think the scholarships will be minimal at most.

But I do have a big problem with the timing. It irritates me that they come down with a bowl ban almost a year after the fact. The guilty parties (Herron, Posey, Prior, etc.) aren't being punished. Then the NCAA allowed the guilty parties to play in the Sugar Bowl last year. If OSU got a bowl ban it should have been for this season. Make the players who actually brought on the sanctions pay not punish the players who were innocent.
    This I can agree with. The punishment seems to fit the crime to me, but the timing seems to add insult to injury.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't have much of an issue with the ruling itself. A one year bowl band wasn't all that bad and I think the scholarships will be minimal at most.

But I do have a big problem with the timing. It irritates me that they come down with a bowl ban almost a year after the fact. The guilty parties (Herron, Posey, Prior, etc.) aren't being punished. Then the NCAA allowed the guilty parties to play in the Sugar Bowl last year. If OSU got a bowl ban it should have been for this season. Make the players who actually brought on the sanctions pay not punish the players who were innocent.
    This is what I have been thinking about lately. It seems to get lost in all of the discussion. The people that are being punished are the players that had nothing to do with the infractions, and the fans and students of the University. The NCAA does a lot of stupid things. Don't get me wrong, the punishments are deserved, but said punishments are being enforced on "innocent" people. Honestly I say go after their scholarships and wallets. If a coach lies to the NCAA he or she should be fined. If a player violates NCAA rules his or her scholarship should be altered according to the severity of the violation. Up to and including complete revocation of said athletic scholarships. Make them take out loans and build up tons of student loan debt like every other student has to do. Fine the university, coaches, staff, etc. Suspend those that are guilty and let the kids that do things the right way play the game they love, and let fans enjoy watching their teams play. I just don't understand this stuff.

Not saying its right, but the NCAA has always worked this way. The boom gets lowered on the innocent while the guilty go on to pro ball. Just ask USC.

I'm not surprised by the bowl ban. All along, I thought the Buckeyes were going to be pretty severely punished. Tressel (and whoever else we'll never know) knowingly and blatantly violated some serious NCAA rules. And Gene Smith needs canned, like, yesterday.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Not saying its right, but the NCAA has always worked this way. The boom gets lowered on the innocent while the guilty go on to pro ball. Just ask USC.

I'm not surprised by the bowl ban. All along, I thought the Buckeyes were going to be pretty severely punished. Tressel (and whoever else we'll never know) knowingly and blatantly violated some serious NCAA rules. And Gene Smith needs canned, like, yesterday.
    Tressel isn't getting off free and clear, he took a huge hit IMHO and has a scarlet letter on his vest at least for the next several years.... also 2010 was basically erased which punishes the "guilty". It's not a perfect system but the guilty are taking a hit. Finally keep in mind that the NCAA concluded OSU was guilty of failure to monitor... so the "program" itself has to pay a debt too...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    This is what I have been thinking about lately. It seems to get lost in all of the discussion. The people that are being punished are the players that had nothing to do with the infractions, and the fans and students of the University. The NCAA does a lot of stupid things. Don't get me wrong, the punishments are deserved, but said punishments are being enforced on "innocent" people. Honestly I say go after their scholarships and wallets. If a coach lies to the NCAA he or she should be fined. If a player violates NCAA rules his or her scholarship should be altered according to the severity of the violation. Up to and including complete revocation of said athletic scholarships. Make them take out loans and build up tons of student loan debt like every other student has to do. Fine the university, coaches, staff, etc. Suspend those that are guilty and let the kids that do things the right way play the game they love, and let fans enjoy watching their teams play. I just don't understand this stuff.
    The thing is that the NCAA didn't view this as just infractions committed by individuals after the second notice of allegations. The NCAA's ruling says that OSU failed to show an increase in monitoring following the allegations, thus the Failiure to Monitor and penalties handed out to the institution. In that reguard, OSU's strategy to blame certain players while insisting it wasn't an institutional problem did not work.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Brutus knows a lot more about this than I do, but basically there has never been a school that has recieved a bowl ban with the same charges that OSU recieved.

Ohio State is the first school ever to get a bowl ban with these charges. That is why they didn't self impose a bowl ban.
    That would have been true before the Failure to Monitor charge was added in October. Once that was added, it became a lot more likely (and in fact is not in any way, shape or form unprecedented).

No doubt, though, Ohio State was duped on this. They thought they would escape without a bowl ban. I thought, once the FTM charge was levied, it was 50-50. The last week, Ohio State seemed pretty confident, so I figured maybe a 'friend of a friend' may have given them reason to believe they would be in the clear. That obviously was not the case or if it was, they badly miscalculated.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    This I can agree with. The punishment seems to fit the crime to me, but the timing seems to add insult to injury.
    I don't think anyone at Ohio State (except the senior class) would have lost a minute's sleep over not going to a bowl this year. A cynical person might surmise that's why the NCAA waited to hand down the bowl ban -- it isn't punishment if it doesn't hurt.

Speaking of punishment, it's also a side effect of the bowl ban that any of Ohio State's rising seniors can transfer without having to sit out a year. Realistically, most of them should be close to graduating and wouldn't want to do that.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I don't think anyone at Ohio State (except the senior class) would have lost a minute's sleep over not going to a bowl this year. A cynical person might surmise that's why the NCAA waited to hand down the bowl ban -- it isn't punishment if it doesn't hurt.

Speaking of punishment, it's also a side effect of the bowl ban that any of Ohio State's rising seniors can transfer without having to sit out a year. Realistically, most of them should be close to graduating and wouldn't want to do that.
    I can agree with this too. It doesn't really matter to me since I don't root for OSU, but I can see why OSU fans are frustrated with how long this seemed to drag out. Honestly, the more I think about it, the length was probably added to by the second notice of allegations so it I wouldn't say it is surprising that it took this long. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over them losing a bowl game next year though. I can just see both side I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post

At 6-3 the Buckeyes controlled their own fate as far as the Rose Bowl went.I don't know how the time frame went for self imposing a bowl ban but things changed when Heron and Posey was found guilty of violations that took place this past summer right around that time.I heard on the local sports talk show here in Columbus that Gene Smith took his sweet time responding to the NCAA regarding this matter and that could've possibly led to the bad timing for OSU.My guess is that he foolishly thought he could asure the chance for the BSC Bowl this year if the Bucks qualified, by making it difficult for the NCAA to make their final ruling in time.Even if he'd heard that the bowl ban wasn't coming he had too know that the new violation would change things with the NCAA and possibly he acted on this assumption hoping to save this season not knowing that the Bucks would go on to lose their last 3 games, then hire Urban Meyer and then have him go on a recutting tear.I don't know what really happened but I can say that I have a feeling that Gene Smith is somehow to blame for this.He seems to have a knack for miscalculating things.

All I know is that this is now all in the past.No more questions and no more waiting around.Ohio State has a new coach and a bright future.All of this junk will slowly fade into history.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 12-21-2011 at 04:18 AM.

I don't understand the idea that the NCAA felt "duped" last year for the Bowl Game. The whole season was a coverup, not just the bowl game. And when push came to shove, the NCAA wanted those players to play and was criticized roundly for going for the money grab. Now, they are punishing the program for playing in a bowl they insisted they play in by allowing those players to remain eligible?

I guess its good to be the king. You get to play both sides of situations, benefit from letting what should be ineligible players play, then punish the program that they played for. They give back the money, the NCAA cashes the checks from their sponsor. Now there's some real corruption.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

On another note, the parallel between Matta's arrival and Meyer's arrival is uncanny. The basketball program survived the exposure of O'Brien's shady dealings, I'm sure the football program under Meyer will experience similar success, if not more as he sits out a year of postseason play. And Buckeyes everywhere get to add another chip on their shoulder for their Rodney Dangerfield-like treatment out there. No respect, I tell you, they get no respect.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How many Buckeye fans have come onto to this site saying over and over again that this wouldn't happen? Let this be a lesson for you. It doesn't matter if you get hit with a lack of institutional control. This can and did happen. The OSU fans underestimated the seriousness of this all the way through, many erroneously believing that the self imposed penalties would suffice. There was even a time when itwas thought that last years Sugar Bowl win would not be vacated.

The good news is Urban Meyer will handle this just fine. He'll use next year as a building year and come out firing in 2013 if the Mayans aren't correct...
    Once the additional charge of Failure to Monitor was added, the additional penalties came in to play. Had nothing else emerged, I am quite sure the bowl ban and scholarship reduction would not have come into play. Rogue boosters are a completely different animal, than the original Tattogate scandal.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Once the additional charge of Failure to Monitor was added, the additional penalties came in to play. Had nothing else emerged, I am quite sure the bowl ban and scholarship reduction would not have come into play. Rogue boosters are a completely different animal, than the original Tattogate scandal.
    No large football school could survive the scrutiny the NCAA put on OSU. I'm glad it's over and they can move on

I doubt that
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I doubt that
    Can you be more specific? What are you referring to?

Turn Off Ads?