Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Agreeing with what's been said on the recruiting wars. Sour grapes from these coaches. I'm sure none of them worked the "OSU is going to be in BIGGGGGG trouble, you don't want to go there" angle in their recruiting.

As for tactics, this year is a free pass save for activities that are recruiting violations. New head coach in November who is of Meyer's stature is gonna get some flips.

I do not think that pursuing a kid that verbally commits is wrong. I like the dating analogy Rob Oller used in the Dispatch. Verbal commits change frequently when there are program changes, so why shouldn't it work the other way? The kids are known to be fickle and take advantage of the recruiting process with visits and other recruiting benefits, so to say "only if a kid makes the contact" seems a bit limiting all things considered.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's funny seeing OSU fans now praising Urban.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    It's funny seeing OSU fans now praising Urban.
    Last I checked he is Ohio State's head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Last I checked he is Ohio State's head coach.
    I know. It's just funny reading the personal comments of him being in 2008 compared to now. I get it, he's your coach. Nothing wrong with attacking the man who beat you handily and then praising him when he's your own. It's just amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I know. It's just funny reading the personal comments of him being in 2008 compared to now. I get it, he's your coach. Nothing wrong with attacking the man who beat you handily and then praising him when he's your own. It's just amusing.
    Sometimes people end up getting married who either did or would have hated each other in a different stage in their life.

What's really amusing is the need to come tell us how amusing we are instead of just being amused.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I used to *hate* Deion Sanders. Thought he was a showboat, thought he was a hot dog, just didn't like him at all.

Then he became a Red. And then I loved him. He was still a hot dog, but he was *our* hot dog now.

So I'm glad all of us OSU fans can keep everyone else amused. It's called human nature.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I used to *hate* Deion Sanders. Thought he was a showboat, thought he was a hot dog, just didn't like him at all.

Then he became a Red. And then I loved him. He was still a hot dog, but he was *our* hot dog now.

So I'm glad all of us OSU fans can keep everyone else amused. It's called human nature.
    Jim Edmonds would have been a good analogy.

As for Bielema, it kinda reminds me of Kevin Stallings and Rick Stansbury complaining in the SEC about Kentucky receiving favoritism. Just makes you want to beat them that much more just to rub salt in the wound. I'm sure tOSU fans feel the same way about Wisconsin.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Bielema is not getting a lot of support from much of anyone on this. His own AD, Barry Alvarez, came out and said there was no such pact and that recruits were fair game until they signed and that all coaches should be doing it. Pat Fitzgerald said about the same and there was no basis for accusations of unethical recruiting practices, even implying things were misrepresented.

This is backfiring on Bielema and making him just look sour and envious. He should have kept his mouth shut instead of whining as he's wound up costing himself some credibility.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Bielema is not getting a lot of support from much of anyone on this. His own AD, Barry Alvarez, came out and said there was no such pact and that recruits were fair game until they signed and that all coaches should be doing it. Pat Fitzgerald said about the same and there was no basis for accusations of unethical recruiting practices, even implying things were misrepresented.

This is backfiring on Bielema and making him just look sour and envious. He should have kept his mouth shut instead of whining as he's wound up costing himself some credibility.
    I never liked Bielema, thought he just wore arrogance like a bad powder blue leisure suit. Now, I have even more justification for that opinion

I wonder if it is a coincidence that Bielema has had to replace 9 assistant coaches over the last two years?

Possible, except two of them went to Pitt, one was his OC who is now the head coach and he took his OL coach with him. I don't know about the other 7.
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-04-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Flipping recruits isn't cheating.

If the ideal is that a student athlete will end up in the best fit possible for him, it follows that giving that athlete more choices likely increases the chances that the ideal is achieved.

If the culture in the Big 10 has been one of gentleman's agreements, well the big 10 should understand now that Meyer is no gentleman.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Flipping recruits isn't cheating.

If the ideal is that a student athlete will end up in the best fit possible for him, it follows that giving that athlete more choices likely increases the chances that the ideal is achieved.

If the culture in the Big 10 has been one of gentleman's agreements, well the big 10 should understand now that Meyer is no gentleman.
    Exactly. Florida was known for oversigning and player arrests during his time in Gainesville. No reason for it to change in Columbus.

At the end of the day, if Urban Meyer is winning national titles, does it really matter if he has any friends within the B1G coaching community? I guess that is the question you have to ask yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Exactly. Florida was known for oversigning and player arrests during his time in Gainesville. No reason for it to change in Columbus.

At the end of the day, if Urban Meyer is winning national titles, does it really matter if he has any friends within the B1G coaching community? I guess that is the question you have to ask yourself.
    He won't get away with that in Columbus, the fans of other teams and the media just won't have it. The Buckeyes may be the NYY's of College Football, most everyone hates them but the Buckeyes themselves and their fans.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?