Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Not to mention an extra month's practice with a young team and a freshman QB.
    Unless you are in a BCS bowl game you are in it for the extra month of practice. You tell me freshman and sophomores don't have a ton to gain from one more month of practice? Another month of practice for Miller to get on the same page with his WR's would be great. Another month to allow all the young defensive guys to understand the system better is priceless. The good and great coaches in college football improve their team greatly over the month long practice sessions. Not to mention no classes to deal with at OSU in about a week or so.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Interesting. I know someone on the board there and live in Jax. I doubt I'd even have much interest going to that game.
    Are you like the Larry David of Ohio State fans or something?

LOL.... maybe. I have no idea what that means.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

LOL.... maybe. I have no idea what that means.
    I'm just saying you are the most negative fan of Ohio State football that I've ever read. You wouldn't want to go watch the team in a bowl game coached by Urban Meyer?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm just saying you are the most negative fan of Ohio State football that I've ever read. You wouldn't want to go watch the team in a bowl game coached by Urban Meyer?
    Mike is one of the most negative fans of OSU football? I've known Mike for years, and that "label" is simply laughable IMO. What has occurred with this school over the last year - whether it's the selfish actions of players, or the way the HC and administration poorly handled it - which greatly hurt the program this year, deserves some negative criticism.

If we are selected to appear in a bowl game (and I don't think we deserve one either), I personally have no desire to see Meyer coach it. So does that label fit me too? Why does Meyer, and not Fickel, deserve to coach us in a bowl game? And I, as well as MWM, want Meyer as our new HC. But as far as I'm concerned, the guy who should be coaching us in a bowl game this year, regardless of what some think of him, should be Fickel. This is HIS team. Let him finish the job this year, and that includes any bowl appearance.

And if Meyer is to be the next HC, then after the bowl game let him start with a clean slate. In fact, I wouldn't even announce it, or make the decision till after any bowl game. But Fickel was selected, and thrust into, a very difficult situation this year. And regardless of the outcomes this year he deserves some level of respect IMO.

Finally.... I wish the NCAA would quit screwing around and come to a final determination on this. Why are they stonewalling? They're a joke too IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Well, it's official, if it wasn't official before.

Looks like its a done deal according to the Worldwide Leader:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...us-sources-say
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Guess Meyer got sick of spending time with his family PDQ.

Maybe I am negative, who knows. I consider myself a realist. But I'm just not going to go out of my way o a holiday to go see a 6-6 team play in a "bowl game". Heck, I'm an alumus of the University of Michigan and they were here last year and I had free tickets if I wanted them and didn't go.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I guess it's just a matter of perspective, because this guy would be incredibly grateful to have free tickets to a bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Mike is one of the most negative fans of OSU football? I've known Mike for years, and that "label" is simply laughable IMO. What has occurred with this school over the last year - whether it's the selfish actions of players, or the way the HC and administration poorly handled it - which greatly hurt the program this year, deserves some negative criticism.

If we are selected to appear in a bowl game (and I don't think we deserve one either), I personally have no desire to see Meyer coach it. So does that label fit me too? Why does Meyer, and not Fickel, deserve to coach us in a bowl game? And I, as well as MWM, want Meyer as our new HC. But as far as I'm concerned, the guy who should be coaching us in a bowl game this year, regardless of what some think of him, should be Fickel. This is HIS team. Let him finish the job this year, and that includes any bowl appearance.

And if Meyer is to be the next HC, then after the bowl game let him start with a clean slate. In fact, I wouldn't even announce it, or make the decision till after any bowl game. But Fickel was selected, and thrust into, a very difficult situation this year. And regardless of the outcomes this year he deserves some level of respect IMO.

Finally.... I wish the NCAA would quit screwing around and come to a final determination on this. Why are they stonewalling? They're a joke too IMO.
    I agree that a fan should be realistic and negative when the time calls for it. I've just read a lot of negative and little positive in this thread. Obviously that is mostly a result of the type of season the Buckeyes had this year, but I've seen a lot of encouraging things out of this program over the past few months that have made me much more optimistic.

I don't like the idea of .500 teams going to bowl games any more than you two, but I've accepted it and gotten with the times. That's the way it is now, half the teams make bowls. Would I ever want Ohio State to be at a disadvantage and miss a bowl while all the other 6-6 teams play? Or have the opportunity to go to the game in the town I'm living in and not go? Hell no! I would love to see the Buckeyes in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl at Ford Field.

This is not Fickel's team. This is Jim Tressel's team. Fickel was an interim coach, a representative on Tressel's behalf. It's Tressel's players and Tressel's coaches. The guy who should be coaching the Bucks ASAP is Urban Meyer. Fickel was an interim coach. It is in the best interest of the football program for Meyer to get his system in place for the players and his coaches and to begin recruiting. I want to see Meyer coaching this bowl game.

Maybe I am negative, who knows. I consider myself a realist. But I'm just not going to go out of my way o a holiday to go see a 6-6 team play in a "bowl game". Heck, I'm an alumus of the University of Michigan and they were here last year and I had free tickets if I wanted them and didn't go.
    Eh, I think you were a realist about nine months ago. You've been very negative all season and at times I think it has been deserved. But right now I'm more exciting about Ohio State football than I have been since about December 2006.

I'm from Detroit so I go to the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl/Motor City Bowl just about every year, no matter who is playing in the game. Tickets are cheap and college bowl games are a fun time...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I agree that a fan should be realistic and negative when the time calls for it. I've just read a lot of negative and little positive in this thread. Obviously that is mostly a result of the type of season the Buckeyes had this year, but I've seen a lot of encouraging things out of this program over the past few months that have made me much more optimistic.
    I enjoyed this football season. The Bauserman issues aside, as well as the MSU game, OSU played well with a team that lost 4 of its best players before the season started and had one of their best DLineman go out for the year as well. There were games that were awfully boring (MSU) but then again its college football and there are a lot worse ways to spend a Saturday. With the amount of youth that was given a chance to play this season it leaves me awfully encouraged for the next few years.

I don't like the idea of .500 teams going to bowl games any more than you two, but I've accepted it and gotten with the times. That's the way it is now, half the teams make bowls. Would I ever want Ohio State to be at a disadvantage and miss a bowl while all the other 6-6 teams play? Or have the opportunity to go to the game in the town I'm living in and not go? Hell no! I would love to see the Buckeyes in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl at Ford Field.
    Its one more football game. I don't care if they are deserving or not its another chance to watch OSU this season. I remember a handful of years ago when a disappointing ND team refused to go to a bowl game. I thought it was one of the most arrogant things to do. Especially when you consider they lost out on a month + of practice time.

This is not Fickel's team. This is Jim Tressel's team. Fickel was an interim coach, a representative on Tressel's behalf. It's Tressel's players and Tressel's coaches. The guy who should be coaching the Bucks ASAP is Urban Meyer. Fickel was an interim coach. It is in the best interest of the football program for Meyer to get his system in place for the players and his coaches and to begin recruiting. I want to see Meyer coaching this bowl game.
    True. Fickell was thrown into a difficult situation and handled it with class. There were several games where he was exposed as a coach as well as being left with Joe Bauserman as the starting QB. I want to see what Meyer can do with this team for a bowl game. One month of practice is huge when you are dealing with a very young team.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Guess Meyer got sick of spending time with his family PDQ.
    When you and your wife both want something pretty badly... hard to criticize the move, I think.

Is it really an anti-family move when the family wants it? Just askin'
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

They should've skipped the middle man and just offered the job to Tim Tebow directly.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    They should've skipped the middle man and just offered the job to Tim Tebow directly.
    Between winning football games and forgiving the world for their sins he just couldn't find the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    When you and your wife both want something pretty badly... hard to criticize the move, I think.

Is it really an anti-family move when the family wants it? Just askin'
    Nah......the family must have just been pro OSU. Just more BS from the profession that's full of it.

Turn Off Ads?