Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Oklahoma, Miami, Texas A & M, USC, Oregon

Oh wait you said successful on the field, take Miami and aTm off the list.
    The sad truth is until a month ago Penn State would be the first name that came to mind.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...a-finances.htm

Data mine to your hearts content. Has data up through 2009-2010.

From foggy memory, I'm pretty sure OSU and Univ. of Texas are the 2 biggies.

Pay attention to the open sky

A rogue program because his players got arrested? Really?

At the end of the day, only Urban Meyer knows why he left Florida and why he decided to take the OSU job. But there are lot of conclusions being drawn in this thread that are nothing more interpreting a small amount of facts to suit their own biases.

It's clear he didn't oversign in the way that others do that leads to all the criticism. Some would rather not believe that and that's their prerogative. But there were a lot of off the field issues with his players during his tenure. Some have suggested this cancels any claims he has to doing things the "right way" and contradicts others' suggestions that there was a moral component to his leaving Florida. But it's also possible that this adds credence to those notions as he realized he couldn't control it and didn't want to be a part of that environment. I'm not suggesting that's definitely the case, only that these things occurring while he coached there does not imply that Meyer was a contributor, that he condoned any of it, or that he somehow is unconcerned with ethics in college football.

No one really knows, but people trying to derive his motives from what little we do know and without knowing him personally seems a little silly to me. It's entirely possible there's nothing more to it than he was offered a lot of cash to get back into coaching at a job he always coveted. But it's also possible there are a lot of other factors involved, some of which have been touched on here, that led to his decisions over the past 2 years or so. But only Urban knows the answer.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Where is Oregon on this list, WOY? Phil Knight spends like crazy for them so just wondering.

Thanks!
    Oregon not even close

But here's a good article

http://m.aol.com/news/default/getCon...to-bucks-eyes/

I really believe a lot of the "problems" some OSU/Big 10 fans have with Urban Meyer is that he beat the crap out of us a few years ago that has led to a lot of people defending not only Ohio State, the Big 10 Conference as a whole. I know that's the only reason I didn't like the guy. The rest of the stuff is just excuses.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    OSU spent 35 million on their program last year the most in the NCAA, to me I don't care but find it ironic that do many on this board lambast the Yankees and Sox for doing the same thing in PRO baseball but don't say boo about it happening in College Football.
    Apples and Oranges IMO.

The Yankees and Sox get to buy already finished talent and that is where their money gives them an unbelievable edge. If it was just the draft and no free agents, I'd care much less. They'd have to look into their crystal ball and live with their results just like everyone else.

College teams can't just buy players (all jokes aside). Sure the money spent on facilities, coaches, recruiting trips, etc. plays a big part in the talent a team gets. On the other hand, the teams in a lower league don't have to play the schedules teams in the BCS leagues play either.

Heck, you can be a successful MAC team by winning 9-10 games, all against un-ranked opponents, and you get to a bowl game (some years). You really are not competing with OSU, Texas, Alabama, etc. Go undefeated and you just might get a shot at the big time.

What is interesting, and applicable IMO, is that the teams in MLB share revenue, and so do most football conferences. They just don't share outside their conference.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 11-30-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I really believe a lot of the "problems" some OSU/Big 10 fans have with Urban Meyer is that he beat the crap out of us a few years ago that has led to a lot of people defending not only Ohio State, the Big 10 Conference as a whole. I know that's the only reason I didn't like the guy. The rest of the stuff is just excuses.
    I can see that. I'm not wired that way. It made me respect him more. IMO, that game was the most obvious example I can recall of a game being determined by one coach seriously outcoaching the other. Meyer was just on another plane than Tressel. I've been scoffed at for this more than once, but I still hold that OSU was the better team, but was so severely outcoached that Tressel was blindsided and had no answer. Meyer had a month to prepare for that game and it showed. Again, it's just my opinion, but I don't ever remember a game where the scheme was so obvious in watching the game.

I also gained respect for him the way he handled the situation with the reporter who tricked one of his players into saying something that was twisted into a criticism of Tim Tebow. The guy was always looking out for his players. I posted in that thread that I like Meyer and that he seemed like one of the genuinely good guys in college football, and that was while he was still coaching in the SEC and Tressel was still the god of Columbus and looked to be here for another decade.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Is there a thread for Ohio State Football recruiting? I couldn't find one.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Is there a thread for Ohio State Football recruiting? I couldn't find one.
    This thread would be the place I would think. It is sort of all things Ohio State football.

Well, the Gator Bowl is trying really hard to get Ohio State - Florida. My guess is that's what will wind up happening. I'll probably wind up going as I'll have primo seats. I'll just have to find someone to go with me....

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Well, the Gator Bowl is trying really hard to get Ohio State - Florida. My guess is that's what will wind up happening. I'll probably wind up going as I'll have primo seats. I'll just have to find someone to go with me....
    Sad that it's gotten to the point where the "New Years Day" Bowl schedule has deteriorated to the point where it now includes a matchup of 6-6 teams...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sad that it's gotten to the point where the "New Years Day" Bowl schedule has deteriorated to the point where it now includes a matchup of 6-6 teams...
    Don't really care. There will be a lot of interest for this game. It won't just be local interest, national as well. I would imagine that this bowl game will draw a ton of interest as well as ratings from two 6-6 teams.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

They're all exhibition games, completely meaningless, I don't get the hand wringing over "bad" matchups. The only bad matchup is a boring one, like LSU-Alabama.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Supposedly Tressel has been linked to UCLA.

Oh how the coaching carousel turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Supposedly Tressel has been linked to UCLA.

Oh how the coaching carousel turns.
    I don't see that happening even if Tressel didn't get a show cause, which he is almost guarenteed to get.

Turn Off Ads?