Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

I don't get this. I am as casual an Ohio State fan as they come. Unless they are undefeated mid-way through the year, I generally watch 2-3 games, the Michigan game, and the bowl game. And even I knew that they should self-impose a bowl ban this year to avoid having one imposed next year. What was the downside to doing that?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quick summary: Bowl ban for next season, four scholarships over the next three years (on top of what OSU already self-imposed), Tressel gets the show-cause, probation extended from two years to three.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 12-20-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Apparently a key witness refused to testify or it could've been much worse. The Bucks are lucky, as absurd as that might sound.
    Last edited by cincrazy; 12-20-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Apparently a key witness refused to testify or it could've been much worse. The Bucks are likely, as absurd as that might sound.
    likely=lucky?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    likely=lucky?
    Yes sir! Thanks for the catch, just fixed it.

Unlike Gene Smith, I'm willing to acknowledge my mistakes, and actually take steps to correct them.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I don't get this. I am as casual an Ohio State fan as they come. Unless they are undefeated mid-way through the year, I generally watch 2-3 games, the Michigan game, and the bowl game. And even I knew that they should self-impose a bowl ban this year to avoid having one imposed next year. What was the downside to doing that?
    Brutus knows a lot more about this than I do, but basically there has never been a school that has recieved a bowl ban with the same charges that OSU recieved.

Ohio State is the first school ever to get a bowl ban with these charges. That is why they didn't self impose a bowl ban.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Brutus knows a lot more about this than I do, but basically there has never been a school that has recieved a bowl ban with the same charges that OSU recieved.

Ohio State is the first school ever to get a bowl ban with these charges. That is why they didn't self impose a bowl ban.
    Not every situation is the same. The booster situation added another layer to it. The Buckeyes deserved every bit of this. Their coach covered up and lied. Their AD and compliance department did a poor job of monitoring the student athletes. I don't understand the "A bowl ban should never happen argument." Not directing that towards you, but towards the university. We ARE Ohio State, yes. Doesn't make us immune to this stuff. We should've been more proactive in dealing with it from the beginning.

The NCAA is operating differently now than it has in the past, and that's been known since the beginning of all this. They've been getting bad press for a while now, past precedent goes out the window when they're trying to up their credibility.

Dear Miami Hurricanes.... run for your lives.

Not every situation is the same. The booster situation added another layer to it. The Buckeyes deserved every bit of this. Their coach covered up and lied. Their AD and compliance department did a poor job of monitoring the student athletes. I don't understand the "A bowl ban should never happen argument." Not directing that towards you, but towards the university. We ARE Ohio State, yes. Doesn't make us immune to this stuff. We should've been more proactive in dealing with it from the beginning.

The NCAA is operating differently now than it has in the past, and that's been known since the beginning of all this. They've been getting bad press for a while now, past precedent goes out the window when they're trying to up their credibility.

I think a bowl ban is completely unreasonable here. Ohio State and the NCAA have punished everyone that has been proven to be responsible for doing something wrong. Now they are punishing people that has nothing to do with what happened. As much as the media and everyone has tried to make this a big institutional problem, nothing to that end was proven.

I would argue this is only happening because we are Ohio State. I'm not saying that Ohio State should be immune to anything. They messed up and deserve punishment, but why punishment that is more far reaching that any program has ever recieved for these charges?

The NCAA is not running any differently than it ever has. They just keep handing out inconsistent and inapproiate punishment, just like they always have.

You're not kidding.

How many Buckeye fans have come onto to this site saying over and over again that this wouldn't happen? Let this be a lesson for you. It doesn't matter if you get hit with a lack of institutional control. This can and did happen. The OSU fans underestimated the seriousness of this all the way through, many erroneously believing that the self imposed penalties would suffice. There was even a time when itwas thought that last years Sugar Bowl win would not be vacated.

The good news is Urban Meyer will handle this just fine. He'll use next year as a building year and come out firing in 2013 if the Mayans aren't correct...

So is this the final tally?

Tressel gone.
    Pryor gone.
    5 players were suspended.
    2010 completely vacated (including Bowl victory, Big 10 championship)..official record= 0-1
    down 9 sholarships to occur 3 per each of the next 3 seasons (i'm assuming the NCAA added 4 more to the self imposed 5 and imposed the timeline?)
    3 yr probation
    Post-season Ban in 2012.

Future employers have to justify hiring Tressel-the Buckeye icon of the last decade-and the NCAA also issued a public reprimand and censure to OSU ultimately putting them on probation. And reports suggest they might have dodged a bullet. As it stands, the above is a big penalty and a statement by the NCAA.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I would argue this is only happening because we are Ohio State. I'm not saying that Ohio State should be immune to anything. They messed up and deserve punishment, but why punishment that is more far reaching that any program has ever recieved for these charges?
    I think, if we want to get right down to the core of it, the NCAA is getting even for feeling like they were played for chumps before last year's Sugar Bowl. A bowl for a bowl, so to speak.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I think, if we want to get right down to the core of it, the NCAA is getting even for feeling like they were played for chumps before last year's Sugar Bowl. A bowl for a bowl, so to speak.
    OSU should be able to reinstate its Sugar Bowl win in that case. Yeah, I know that won't happen.

I think I'm in the minority but I really don't think what was added on is that big of a deal. Next year was a transition year anyway. Recruits aren't going to start decommitting because of missing one bowl game. Losing 15 extra practices going into what should be a big '13 season hurts a bit, but this isn't debilitating by any mean.

I don't have much of an issue with the ruling itself. A one year bowl band wasn't all that bad and I think the scholarships will be minimal at most.

But I do have a big problem with the timing. It irritates me that they come down with a bowl ban almost a year after the fact. The guilty parties (Herron, Posey, Prior, etc.) aren't being punished. Then the NCAA allowed the guilty parties to play in the Sugar Bowl last year. If OSU got a bowl ban it should have been for this season. Make the players who actually brought on the sanctions pay not punish the players who were innocent.

Turn Off Ads?