Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No large football school could survive the scrutiny the NCAA put on OSU. I'm glad it's over and they can move on
    Agreed
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4803434.story

Big 10 and PAC are enhancing their alliance. It would be nice to see a game at Soldier Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post

Big 10 and PAC are enhancing their alliance. It would be nice to see a game at Soldier Field.
    This is a good idea and I'm not really sure why it wasn't happening already. It sounds like the BIG will stay at 8 conference games in football instead of going to 9 as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No large football school could survive the scrutiny the NCAA put on OSU. I'm glad it's over and they can move on
    A good analogy is the IRS. Do things right in the first place and you keep them away, because if they come in and do an audit of a business, they're gonna find something to justify their existence.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    A good analogy is the IRS. Do things right in the first place and you keep them away, because if they come in and do an audit of a business, they're gonna find something to justify their existence.
    Not everyone who gets audited gets penalized.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Not everyone who gets audited gets penalized.
    Jojo, I was part owner of a CPA firm for a dozen years with 20 years experience as a CPA. Audits turn up something. The IRS may choose to not require an adjustment, but a large business (analogous to a large university) is going to have audit issues if the IRS comes sniffing around.

Jojo, I was part owner of a CPA firm for a dozen years with 20 years experience as a CPA. Audits turn up something. The IRS may choose to not require an adjustment, but a large business (analogous to a large university) is going to have audit issues if the IRS comes sniffing around.
    Then it's not a perfect analogy.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If the IRS shows up at your doorstep they more times than not are going to find something. Maybe its a small bookkeeping error or something else all together. I had a coworker who owned a farm go through an audit a couple of years ago. He was told by his accountant that if the IRS shows up you will ultimately owe something.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post

But I would hope it's not Ohio State giving up a home game to play in Chicago. Soldier Field is nice, but it's got nothing on about eight of the 12 B1G on-campus stadiums.

I'll say this about this new arrangement: First time the Buckeyes play in Folsom Field in Boulder, I'm there. Same with Eugene, Corvallis and Salt Lake.

Then it's not a perfect analogy.
    No analogy is. All analogies break down when carried to their logical extreme, which is why readers should use them as intended. Can we be done now?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    But I would hope it's not Ohio State giving up a home game to play in Chicago. Soldier Field is nice, but it's got nothing on about eight of the 12 B1G on-campus stadiums.

I'll say this about this new arrangement: First time the Buckeyes play in Folsom Field in Boulder, I'm there. Same with Eugene, Corvallis and Salt Lake.
    Obviously a lot has to be ironed out, but from the sounds of it the bulk of the football games are going to be played at the regular home stadiums. It sounds like basketball will be played in a lot of NBA arenas and have triple headers and more tournament style basketball.

They said they want to have "competitive considerations" for the football games so I wonder how far in advance they are going to schedule the games. I want to see good games but I don't want to see OSU vs. USC/Oregon every year.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Obviously a lot has to be ironed out, but from the sounds of it the bulk of the football games are going to be played at the regular home stadiums. It sounds like basketball will be played in a lot of NBA arenas and have triple headers and more tournament style basketball.

They said they want to have "competitive considerations" for the football games so I wonder how far in advance they are going to schedule the games. I want to see good games but I don't want to see OSU vs. USC/Oregon every year.
    Since OSU already has a home-and-home scheduled with Oklahoma in 2016 and 2017, and another with Georgia in 2020-2021, you can bet that the B1G/PAC schedule makers won't force the Buckeyes to play one of the PAC's power teams those years. OSU has already said that Oklahoma series isn't going anywhere and their PAC12 game will be scheduled accordingly. Expect to see Arizona or Washington State - or whatever teams aren't expected to be elite that year - instead of USC, Oregon or Stanford.

As for basketball: There is nothing worse than watching college basketball games in half-empty, disinterested NBA arenas. Leave them on campus as much as possible or you'll be playing in front of quiet crowds in cavernous pro arenas with zero atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Since OSU already has a home-and-home scheduled with Oklahoma in 2016 and 2017, and another with Georgia in 2020-2021, you can bet that the B1G/PAC schedule makers won't force the Buckeyes to play one of the PAC's power teams those years. OSU has already said that Oklahoma series isn't going anywhere and their PAC12 game will be scheduled accordingly. Expect to see Arizona or Washington State - or whatever teams aren't expected to be elite that year - instead of USC, Oregon or Stanford.

As for basketball: There is nothing worse than watching college basketball games in half-empty, disinterested NBA arenas. Leave them on campus as much as possible or you'll be playing in front of quiet crowds in cavernous pro arenas with zero atmosphere.
    I agree about the basketball stuff. I hate those preseason tournament games at neutral sites.

Maybe if you had USC, UCLA and Cal playing Ohio State, Michigan State and Indiana at Staples on the same day it might work, but even then I'd prefer to see those games in the home stadium.

No analogy is. All analogies break down when carried to their logical extreme, which is why readers should use them as intended. Can we be done now?
    This isn't about logical extremes. OSU wasn't a victim of nitpicking which really seems to be the underlying assertion that no program can survive an NCAA investigation without penalty (and the IRS analogy).

That's why the analogy broke down.

This isn't about logical extremes. OSU wasn't a victim of nitpicking which really seems to be the underlying assertion that no program can survive an NCAA investigation without penalty (and the IRS analogy).

That's why the analogy broke down.
    So, I guess not.
    What I read the original poster saying was that some things go under the radar in all major programs, like fake or overpaying jobs and generous boosters. This was in the early 90s. However, once the digging starts, look out. That was the premise of my analogy.

For example, I asked questions as a temp when I was a senior in college about payments to a certain OSU bball player. I got a scowl from my supervisor and was told I really didn't want to know the answer to that question.

Maybe the original poster can chime in on the intention of his words.

Turn Off Ads?