Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Not sure what GA was thinking there. Got a little too conservative. That was a Tressel-esque move. You don't just settle for a FG over 40 yards, especially with a kicker who missed 12 of them this year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ugly series by MSU there. The knee down really hurt, but after that a couple of really bad play calls.

That's 2 straight bad snaps on FG attempts, the first on the tying TD, and now in OT. Got lucky on both of them. Hope it doesn't come back to bite them.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Amazing game. You've got to give MSU credit for overcoming a 16-0 deficit and GA credit for stopping the bleeding and retaking the lead.

This was a great exhibition of what's great about college football. Both teams playing their hearts out. It's too bad one team had to walk away with a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Furthermore, I am glad that I never have to see JB Shugarts lineup at tackle ever again. I know that they have no one behind him to fill in, but I can't accept that kind of play from a four year starter at tackle.
    Every false start from now until I pass on from this earth by an OSU lineman will be referred to as a Shugarts by me. The game was so awful to watch that myself and some friends were actually rooting that he would get at least one more in before the game ended. Sad I know, but

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Amazing game. You've got to give MSU credit for overcoming a 16-0 deficit and GA credit for stopping the bleeding and retaking the lead.

This was a great exhibition of what's great about college football. Both teams playing their hearts out. It's too bad one team had to walk away with a loss.
    Congrats to Mark Dantonio. No tears lost for Thug Nation.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

This just in, Montee Ball is REALLY good.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Got behind two touchdowns
    Ohio State went away from its power game earlier than that. Tried to get too cute with the playcalling (end around for Posey?) when between the tackle running was moving the ball.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

They've had over a month and they look completely unprepared. Yes, this coaching staff is in WAY over their heads.
    Whatever you got from your OC during the season, safe to say it wasn't going to be bettered while he's looking to sell his house and find another job.

Sure, there's a talent gap top to bottom, but I don't think it's that great at the top and mid-part of the league. The good programs in the Big 10 put plenty of players in the NFL.

I think the whole cold weather argument has some merit to it as you can't play the fast, SEC type of game week in and week out in bad weather, but that weather really only comes into play the last few weeks of the regular season.

So while I think it matters some, I think it's more there's too many relics in the Big Ten who choose to play a style of ball that's outdated. They're too stubborn to change as opposed to deliberately choosing their style based on the elements. But there's plenty of talent in the midwest, just look at the NFL for proof.

The SEC as a whole has embraced modern style college football. Heck, most of the country has. But many of the Big 10 programs are still playing like it was 1985. At least that's how I see it. It's an opinion.
    The funny thing is, LSU and Alabama are playing offensive football that would fit in perfectly in the Big Ten. Change the uniforms and you couldn't tell them from the Ohio State of ten years ago. They're just doing it better than anyone else right now. We can draw up all the fancy Xs and Os we want, but there's still no substitute for lining up and kicking the opponent's tail around the field.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Wisconsin can't tackle, like at all.

What I don't understand is why they keep running the same defensive coverage. They haven't changed anything they're doing and it's not working. Mix it up a little. They have nothing to lose, it's not like they're stopping anything now.
    Last edited by MWM; 01-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.

/laughing at Abbrederos. He deserved to lose that ball. He catches like a 30 yard reception, he's at the sideline with 3 defenders and decides he wants to be a tough guy and lowered his shoulder. Just a bonehead play a smart player would never make.

And Bielema calling his second timeout less than 5 minutes into the half after that kickoff touchback was just dumb. Wisconsin was outcoached and outsmarted by a really good team, but not one I think they should lose to.

/laughing at Abbrederos. He deserved to lose that ball. He catches like a 30 yard reception, he's at the sideline with 3 defenders and decides he wants to be a tough guy and lowered his shoulder. Just a bonehead play a smart player would never make.

And Bielema calling his second timeout less than 5 minutes into the half after that kickoff touchback was just dumb. Wisconsin was outcoached and outsmarted by a really good team, but not one I think they should lose to.
    Fumble was just bad luck. That ball goes out of bounds 99 out of 100 times.

Hate when something stupid like that ending with the spike ruins a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Fumble was just bad luck. That ball goes out of bounds 99 out of 100 times.

Hate when something stupid like that ending with the spike ruins a great game.
    Oh, it was definitely bad luck and they probably tie the game there. My problem is that he was running toward the sideline and looked up and at the last second thought he give the gut a bump. He wasn't trying to get more yards as he was clearly going out of bounds, it was pure bravado.

Bielema is just not a smart coach, which is weird for a place like Wisconsin. He does a lot of things that are just not smart. That timeout he wasted was so pointless. If you're going to take the timeout, just throw the challenge flag. Then the refs could have told you to him it couldn't be challenged and he doesn't lose a timeout. It would be different if they hadn't burned on already. There was still 11:30 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Then the spike at the end of the game was bonehead. They were at the 25 yard line, and while the odds are still against them, they could have at least had a chance.

He's just not a cerebral coach. Oregon is an excellent team, so I'm not trying to take anything away from them.

I think there is a serious coaching gap between the SEC and Big Ten right now. Big Ten athletic departments are seriously stuck in the past.
    I wanted to bring this up because it's completely apt.

This past fall, I was studying athletic department finances for a freelance story on college revenue and expenses I was doing. As an aside to the story, I was comparing the SEC and B1G expenditures on coaching. The average salary department-wide spent by SEC schools on coaching staffs of male sports at the university was just shy of $16 million. For the Big Ten, it was about $9 million.

As a conference, the Big Ten actually earned about $1 million in revenue more per school than did the SEC. So clearly, the Big Ten has the money to compete and they're not doing so.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Oh, it was definitely bad luck and they probably tie the game there. My problem is that he was running toward the sideline and looked up and at the last second thought he give the gut a bump. He wasn't trying to get more yards as he was clearly going out of bounds, it was pure bravado.

Bielema is just not a smart coach, which is weird for a place like Wisconsin. He does a lot of things that are just not smart. That timeout he wasted was so pointless. If you're going to take the timeout, just throw the challenge flag. Then the refs could have told you to him it couldn't be challenged and he doesn't lose a timeout. It would be different if they hadn't burned on already. There was still 11:30 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Then the spike at the end of the game was bonehead. They were at the 25 yard line, and while the odds are still against them, they could have at least had a chance.

He's just not a cerebral coach. Oregon is an excellent team, so I'm not trying to take anything away from them.
    That's a good analysis. On the other side of the coin, Bielema has had the Badgers down to the wire in two straight Rose Bowls against two pretty good teams. And hes done it while running a clean program at a school with high academic standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    That's a good analysis. On the other side of the coin, Bielema has had the Badgers down to the wire in two straight Rose Bowls against two pretty good teams. And hes done it while running a clean program at a school with high academic standards.
    Oh, he does some things well. It's not like he's a bad coach. He's just not a very cerebral one. He's not the best at coaching in close games.

Turn Off Ads?