Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

BTW, Tressel got his share of late signings like this, kept going after verbal committment guys, lost some also. Its brutal out there.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just can't agree with you there Trade. Tressel had his own unique strengths as a recruiter, but aggressiveness and closing the deal on elite talent late in the recruiting season wasn't among them.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    I just can't agree with you there Trade. Tressel had his own unique strengths as a recruiter, but aggressiveness and closing the deal on elite talent late in the recruiting season wasn't among them.
    QFT
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Lets not forget that just last year they knocked off Arkansas in a bowl game.
    No they didn't.

BTW: I have zero doubt that Coach Meyer is going to absolutely kill it in Columbus. It's going to be fun to see you Buckeyes back in the national championship versus someone from the SEC. You guys are going to be great. Just gotta get through this next year.

PPS: As an SEC underdog, it has been sort of amusing to watch the Gators get so pissed off.
    Last edited by WMR; 01-21-2012 at 04:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

That isn't what I was saying. He won some on late decommits that became available, he lost some, but he did get some of these. They weren't poaches then, kids changed their mind he jumped on it. He lost some that way also. That is all I was saying.

And I think all Meyer is doing is getting kids that had given up on OSU due to termoil and now are buying in after committing somewhere else. This will probably be a one year dynamic.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    No they didn't.

BTW: I have zero doubt that Coach Meyer is going to absolutely kill it in Columbus. It's going to be fun to see you Buckeyes back in the national championship versus someone from the SEC. You guys are going to be great. Just gotta get through this next year.

PPS: As an SEC underdog, it has been sort of amusing to watch the Gators get so pissed off.
    And John Calipari has never coached in a Final Four

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    That isn't what I was saying. He won some on late decommits that became available, he lost some, but he did get some of these. They weren't poaches then, kids changed their mind he jumped on it. He lost some that way also. That is all I was saying.
    Nothing like this. Nabbed another one from Penn State yesterday (link). Obviously there are extenuating circumstances here, especially for the Penn State kids, but Meyer deserves a ton of credit. Call it what you will, he's flipped a ton of great recruits from other schools to Ohio State. I don't think anyone else could have put this class together in so short a time, even under normal OSU circumstances, let alone what the program has gone through the past 12 months.
    Last edited by OUReds; 01-21-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Nothing like this. Nabbed another one from Penn State yesterday (link). Obviously there are extenuating circumstances here, especially for the Penn State kids, but Meyer deserves a ton of credit. Call it what you will, he's flipped a ton of great recruits from other schools to Ohio State. I don't think anyone else could have put this class together in so short a time, even under normal OSU circumstances, let alone what the program has gone through the past 12 months.
    All that may be true, but this is a one shot deal due to transition. I'm not trying to steal thunder, just noting that "poaching" is an unfair description of what is going on.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    And John Calipari has never coached in a Final Four
    Actually his first one was last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm sure Meyer helped, but the Notre Dame coaches (Hinton I believe) that just joined the staff I think had a lot more to do with landing Decker.
    Ed Warriner too. It was a combination of Warriner and Hinton were his potential position coach and lead recruiter at ND and both left for Ohio State.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I'm not an Ohio State fan, but I disagree with this.

He did close on Terrelle Pryor, who was the top recruit in the nation at the time. He could have easily ended up at Michigan and Rich Rodriguez still would have had a job with his version of Pat White. (if if's and buts were candy and nuts, I know)

Tressel's strength was that he locked down the state. He had his pick of any of the top talent in the state of Ohio and those players more often than not committed to the Buckeyes. Regardless of whether the pieces fit or not, Tressel kept them in Columbus.

I echo WMR when i say Meyer is going to win and win big in Columbus, but he is going to do it with "his" guys. Some top recruits in-state may opt elsewhere because they don't fit Meyer's spread offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It appears that some Big Ten coaches are not thrilled with Urban's recruiting tactics.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs....56338/34669389

They don't really say what tactics he's using that are unethical, only that he's brought these tactics from other leagues and they don't like it. I'm really not a big fan of trying to poach recruits from other schools where they have verbally committed. I get the idea that they aren't really committed until they sign the LOI, but I think once a kid has said he's going somewhere else, other coaches should leave them alone unless the player initiates the contact.

These kids have enough pressure as it is and that's one of the primary reasons they do verbal commitments. The decision is hard enough already that having some coach come in after they've made a decision second guessing them is not fair to the kid. I hope this doesn't become a habit with Meyer. Now, I could get behind the notion that when these kids made their commitments, he wasn't the head coach and they may have chosen differently if he was around. I still don't love this, but I can at least understand it. But in the future, I hope he leaves kids alone who have made a decision. If the player makes the first contact, or lets it be known that he's willing to change, then he should go after them. I don't have a problem with that.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yay!

If Meyer is doing something "illegal," as Bielema alleges, then he should report it to the conference and the NCAA and not whine about it to the media.

I would be interested to see if Wisconsin or Mich St hosted any kids on official visits who had already given a verbal commitment somewhere else.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Now, I could get behind the notion that when these kids made their commitments, he wasn't the head coach and they may have chosen differently if he was around. I still don't love this, but I can at least understand it. But in the future, I hope he leaves kids alone who have made a decision. If the player makes the first contact, or lets it be known that he's willing to change, then he should go after them. I don't have a problem with that.
    This is pretty much what happened. He called, asked if they were interested in coming to Ohio State, if they said yes he recruited them. If they said no, he did not. Why not give the kids the choice? Pittman and Dodson, were both pressured into verballing, to those other schools during the height of Tressel departure. Once the situation changed at Ohio State, they were inclined to stay home. Kyle Kalis, a Michigan commitment(formerly a Ohio State commit), declined and Urban Meyer did not contact him again. Did Brady Hoke leave Kalis alone? Did he spend all fall trying to swipe Brionte Dunn from Ohio State. Ohio State worked hard and kept him on board. Maybe these other schools should work a little harder.

Mark Dantonio did some pretty shady stuff himself when he left UC for MSU. No one cared a few years ago, when Ron Zook poached Justin Green from Ohio State on signing day. Lets not pretend that the other coaches in the BigTen have been pillars of gentlemanly virtue.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    This is pretty much what happened. He called, asked if they were interested in coming to Ohio State, if they said yes he recruited them. If they said no, he did not. Why not give the kids the choice? Pittman and Dodson, were both pressured into verballing, to those other schools during the height of Tressel departure. Once the situation changed at Ohio State, they were inclined to stay home. Kyle Kalis, a Michigan commitment(formerly a Ohio State commit), declined and Urban Meyer did not contact him again. Did Brady Hoke leave Kalis alone? Did he spend all fall trying to swipe Brionte Dunn from Ohio State. Ohio State worked hard and kept him on board. Maybe these other schools should work a little harder.

Mark Dantonio did some pretty shady stuff himself when he left UC for MSU. No one cared a few years ago, when Ron Zook poached Justin Green from Ohio State on signing day. Lets not pretend that the other coaches in the BigTen have been pillars of gentlemanly virtue.
    I couldn't remember Justin Green's name but was thinking about that story.

I saw a headline or something the other day talking about the B1G. They said something like, its becoming the Big 2 and little 10. OSU and UM killed it this year, can't say as much about anyone else. I wonder about MSU now that UM is recruiting the same type of player again.

Turn Off Ads?