Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 456

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

  1. #376
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,662

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Agreeing with what's been said on the recruiting wars. Sour grapes from these coaches. I'm sure none of them worked the "OSU is going to be in BIGGGGGG trouble, you don't want to go there" angle in their recruiting.

    As for tactics, this year is a free pass save for activities that are recruiting violations. New head coach in November who is of Meyer's stature is gonna get some flips.

    I do not think that pursuing a kid that verbally commits is wrong. I like the dating analogy Rob Oller used in the Dispatch. Verbal commits change frequently when there are program changes, so why shouldn't it work the other way? The kids are known to be fickle and take advantage of the recruiting process with visits and other recruiting benefits, so to say "only if a kid makes the contact" seems a bit limiting all things considered.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #377
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    It's funny seeing OSU fans now praising Urban.

  4. #378
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,173

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    It's funny seeing OSU fans now praising Urban.
    Last I checked he is Ohio State's head coach.

  5. #379
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Last I checked he is Ohio State's head coach.
    I know. It's just funny reading the personal comments of him being in 2008 compared to now. I get it, he's your coach. Nothing wrong with attacking the man who beat you handily and then praising him when he's your own. It's just amusing.

  6. #380
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,662

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I know. It's just funny reading the personal comments of him being in 2008 compared to now. I get it, he's your coach. Nothing wrong with attacking the man who beat you handily and then praising him when he's your own. It's just amusing.
    Sometimes people end up getting married who either did or would have hated each other in a different stage in their life.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  7. #381
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    What's really amusing is the need to come tell us how amusing we are instead of just being amused.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  8. #382
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,137

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    I used to *hate* Deion Sanders. Thought he was a showboat, thought he was a hot dog, just didn't like him at all.

    Then he became a Red. And then I loved him. He was still a hot dog, but he was *our* hot dog now.

    So I'm glad all of us OSU fans can keep everyone else amused. It's called human nature.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  9. #383
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I used to *hate* Deion Sanders. Thought he was a showboat, thought he was a hot dog, just didn't like him at all.

    Then he became a Red. And then I loved him. He was still a hot dog, but he was *our* hot dog now.

    So I'm glad all of us OSU fans can keep everyone else amused. It's called human nature.
    Jim Edmonds would have been a good analogy.

    As for Bielema, it kinda reminds me of Kevin Stallings and Rick Stansbury complaining in the SEC about Kentucky receiving favoritism. Just makes you want to beat them that much more just to rub salt in the wound. I'm sure tOSU fans feel the same way about Wisconsin.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  10. #384
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Bielema is not getting a lot of support from much of anyone on this. His own AD, Barry Alvarez, came out and said there was no such pact and that recruits were fair game until they signed and that all coaches should be doing it. Pat Fitzgerald said about the same and there was no basis for accusations of unethical recruiting practices, even implying things were misrepresented.

    This is backfiring on Bielema and making him just look sour and envious. He should have kept his mouth shut instead of whining as he's wound up costing himself some credibility.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  11. #385
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,662

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Bielema is not getting a lot of support from much of anyone on this. His own AD, Barry Alvarez, came out and said there was no such pact and that recruits were fair game until they signed and that all coaches should be doing it. Pat Fitzgerald said about the same and there was no basis for accusations of unethical recruiting practices, even implying things were misrepresented.

    This is backfiring on Bielema and making him just look sour and envious. He should have kept his mouth shut instead of whining as he's wound up costing himself some credibility.
    I never liked Bielema, thought he just wore arrogance like a bad powder blue leisure suit. Now, I have even more justification for that opinion
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  12. #386
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,418

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    I wonder if it is a coincidence that Bielema has had to replace 9 assistant coaches over the last two years?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  13. #387
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,662

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Possible, except two of them went to Pitt, one was his OC who is now the head coach and he took his OL coach with him. I don't know about the other 7.
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-04-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  14. #388
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,888

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Flipping recruits isn't cheating.

    If the ideal is that a student athlete will end up in the best fit possible for him, it follows that giving that athlete more choices likely increases the chances that the ideal is achieved.

    If the culture in the Big 10 has been one of gentleman's agreements, well the big 10 should understand now that Meyer is no gentleman.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  15. #389
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Flipping recruits isn't cheating.

    If the ideal is that a student athlete will end up in the best fit possible for him, it follows that giving that athlete more choices likely increases the chances that the ideal is achieved.

    If the culture in the Big 10 has been one of gentleman's agreements, well the big 10 should understand now that Meyer is no gentleman.
    Exactly. Florida was known for oversigning and player arrests during his time in Gainesville. No reason for it to change in Columbus.

    At the end of the day, if Urban Meyer is winning national titles, does it really matter if he has any friends within the B1G coaching community? I guess that is the question you have to ask yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  16. #390
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Exactly. Florida was known for oversigning and player arrests during his time in Gainesville. No reason for it to change in Columbus.

    At the end of the day, if Urban Meyer is winning national titles, does it really matter if he has any friends within the B1G coaching community? I guess that is the question you have to ask yourself.
    He won't get away with that in Columbus, the fans of other teams and the media just won't have it. The Buckeyes may be the NYY's of College Football, most everyone hates them but the Buckeyes themselves and their fans.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25