Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    That may be fair. I mean it seems that stealing laptops would be enough to kick someone out of school, yet it took that and multiple instances of academic fraud for Meyer to finally be done with one particular player I can remember.
    Meyer never revoked the scholarship of the particular player you remember.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Underage drinking, MJ possession, moving violations, shoplifting a snickers bar ... not all that concerned.

B&E, Theft, assault/fights, domestic disputes, disorderly conduct, DUI ... concerned.

GL

/depends which is which

What I'm hoping for Urban Meyer is that he'll be like Dick Vermeil v1.0 and v2.0.

v1.0 on the Eagles, he got all caught up in the hype and micromanagement of every minutiae of a big time program and just burned himself out and had to get out to save his life.

v2.0 on the Rams, he learned how to deal with the stress and delegate authority and take more of a manager level position rather than a micromanager.

v1.0 is a fast track to killing yourself while v2.0 is a viable career path. I'm hoping we'll see a v2.0 Meyer. Fingers crossed.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

This Sporting News article paints a really ugly picture of the behind the scenes happenings at Florida under Meyer. In short, if quotes in the article are true, Meyer is exactly everything that big ten fans hate and criticize the sec for and the days of a red sweater leading the charge up a high road while OSU wins are over.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...gram-will-musc
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

That article was dumb. I'm not even sure it was written by a professional journalist. It read like a Bleacher Report article.

I don't like the shoot the messenger stuff, but Matt Hayes has been an axe to grind with Urban Meyer. He is a Florida Gator fan that lives in Orlando. His disdain for Ohio State is also known. The take home message from the article is that Urban won big at Florida. Urban had some star players that got preferential treatment. Some players were suspended and the info on the suspensions was kept in house. Urban's second to last recruiting class was filled with big talent psychos who don't play well under the rules. Urban Meyer recruited players committed to other schools to Ohio State who likely would have committed to Ohio State to begin with had a coaching change not occurred. Will Muschamp has a scapegoat. Shall we do this level of investigative journalism at any other program? Off the top of my head I could write a similar article changing names at Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame, Florida State, Auburn, LSU, Texas, USC, Oregon, Cincinnati, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and I am sure a google search would get me that anywhere else. Yawn

I used to follow Matt Hayes on Twitter, but his Urban Meyer/Ohio State stuff was so juvenile I had to quit. I follow most of the national college football guys, and some of them were really hard on Ohio State, I still follow them, they were just doing their job.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 04-10-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I don't like the shoot the messenger stuff, but Matt Hayes has been an axe to grind with Urban Meyer. He is a Florida Gator fan that lives in Orlando. His disdain for Ohio State is also known. The take home message from the article is that Urban won big at Florida. Urban had some star players that got preferential treatment. Some players were suspended and the info on the suspensions was kept in house. Urban's second to last recruiting class was filled with big talent psychos who don't play well under the rules. Urban Meyer recruited players committed to other schools to Ohio State who likely would have committed to Ohio State to begin with had a coaching change not occurred. Will Muschamp has a scapegoat. Shall we do this level of investigative journalism at any other program? Off the top of my head I could write a similar article changing names at Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame, Florida State, Auburn, LSU, Texas, USC, Oregon, Cincinnati, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and I am sure a google search would get me that anywhere else. Yawn

I used to follow Matt Hayes on Twitter, but his Urban Meyer/Ohio State stuff was so juvenile I had to quit. I follow most of the national college football guys, and some of them were really hard on Ohio State, I still follow them, they were just doing their job.
    I think it's fair to point out a couple of things-Matt Hayes has been consistently vocal about his criticism of Meyer and the Sporting News piece had a paucity of named sources.

Regardless of whether the airing of Meyer's Gator laundry is motivated by sour grapes or not, the notion that Meyer is above the fray and has some type of a moral authority and it's this nobility that drew him to OSU really can't be supported by any type of close inspection of his program at Florida.

To me, that's kind of the take home. Meyer is going to win at OSU-he's too good of a coach not to have success given the advatages of the Buckeye program. But it will be winning at all costs and that will be at odds with the Buckeye Brand at times and this is a time when there is little margin for error for the Buckeye compliance staff and when a great program may not even sniff a championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

I get the sneaking suspicion that if Urban wasn't in Columbus, BuckeyePlanet wouldn't be defending the guy to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I get the sneaking suspicion that if Urban wasn't in Columbus, BuckeyePlanet wouldn't be defending the guy to death.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Urban Meyer: NCAA FB rules and regulations
    ::
    John Calipari: NCAA BB rules and regulations?

Really?!?!

From everything I have heard Urban is running a pretty tight program right now. The only real thing he has caught heat over was his recruiting tactics from the likes of Bilema and Dantonio. I was surprised at some of the things Tressel would let go that Meyer put an end to.

As for the Sporting News article I read it and thought it was a hack job. The problem I had was there were some accusations but no one would back them up with concrete evidence. I liked the "circle of trust" accusation that was debunked with a Meet the Fockers reference.

As for the issues with some of his Florida players they were well known. Jenkins, Hernandez, and Harvin all had baggage that everyone knew about. I would also challenge anyone to find a top tier college football program that didn't have players with baggage. I am not saying that Hernandez somking pot is right, but I challenge that author to attend any university in the country (not located in Utah) and see if he can find a squeaky clean one. Because it appears that is what his standards are.

I think there's some evidence that Urban Meyer is a jerk. Oh, well.

The only part of the article that stood out to me was including Bielema's crying. Bielema was publicly accosted by his own AD/mentor Barry Alvarez for what he said about Meyer. Hayes should have included that in his article.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    From everything I have heard Urban is running a pretty tight program right now.
    He's been at OSU for, like, a month.

(Okay, since late November.)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Really?!?!

From everything I have heard Urban is running a pretty tight program right now. The only real thing he has caught heat over was his recruiting tactics from the likes of Bilema and Dantonio. I was surprised at some of the things Tressel would let go that Meyer put an end to.

As for the Sporting News article I read it and thought it was a hack job. The problem I had was there were some accusations but no one would back them up with concrete evidence. I liked the "circle of trust" accusation that was debunked with a Meet the Fockers reference.

As for the issues with some of his Florida players they were well known. Jenkins, Hernandez, and Harvin all had baggage that everyone knew about. I would also challenge anyone to find a top tier college football program that didn't have players with baggage. I am not saying that Hernandez somking pot is right, but I challenge that author to attend any university in the country (not located in Utah) and see if he can find a squeaky clean one. Because it appears that is what his standards are.
    I'm just saying that I think the article is a little overstated. I think the worst part is letting Harvin pretty much doing whatever he wanted and getting in to a tussle with the WR's coach. If he did in fact protect the 'circle of trust' players more than the others in the media, then that's pretty sad.

But that's not really my point. I just think it's funny that if this article had come out while he was still at UF, I highly doubt you'd be defending the integrity of this man.

I'm just saying that I think the article is a little overstated. I think the worst part is letting Harvin pretty much doing whatever he wanted and getting in to a tussle with the WR's coach. If he did in fact protect the 'circle of trust' players more than the others in the media, then that's pretty sad.

But that's not really my point. I just think it's funny that if this article had come out while he was still at UF, I highly doubt you'd be defending the integrity of this man.
    The coach denied the story today.

Most Buckeye fans wouldn't care. Why is that interesting?

Turn Off Ads?