Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is unfortunate:

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/s...incinnati.html

Why can't they get together?
    From what I understood, UC had to drop tOSU to pick up a game with TCU since they were going to be in the Big East.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    From what I understood, UC had to drop tOSU to pick up a game with TCU since they were going to be in the Big East.
    Yeah this game was a victim of conference realignment. Too bad we couldn't get somebody better than UCF, since Cal isn't looking like they are going to be very good next year, but it's hard this late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    So are you saying that a deal has already been negotiated with a guy that may or may not want to coach again?If so when did this take place?I know you've been around the program and I'm sure you have a source or two but I really find this hard to believe.
    Meyer's been having discussions with Ohio State for a couple months. In fact, they reached out to Meyer way back in early June, though they haven't maintained constant contact until the last several weeks. He told Ohio State he wanted $5 million (give or take) and competitive budget for assistants' salaries. Ohio State, naturally, told him that would not be an issue.

Meyer has not been promised the job, nor has he committed to it if he were offered. However, it's been clear that he's their top priority and he's made it clear he's very interested in the job. The thing is: he's really itching to coach again, and his wife actually was enjoying being the 'coach's wife' more than the 'broadcaster's wife' so to speak. He's just not enjoying broadcasting as much as he was coaching. The issue is that if he gets back into coaching, he's going to want to delegate some of the tasks he ordinarily took on to his assistants, as he doesn't want to overwork himself.

I guess the best way to describe the situation is not that they have a deal in place, but the major details are mostly already ironed out if the job is offered/accepted. If the job is offered, they'll go forward figuring out the smaller details.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Meyer's been having discussions with Ohio State for a couple months. In fact, they reached out to Meyer way back in early June, though they haven't maintained constant contact until the last several weeks. He told Ohio State he wanted $5 million (give or take) and competitive budget for assistants' salaries. Ohio State, naturally, told him that would not be an issue.

Meyer has not been promised the job, nor has he committed to it if he were offered. However, it's been clear that he's their top priority and he's made it clear he's very interested in the job. The thing is: he's really itching to coach again, and his wife actually was enjoying being the 'coach's wife' more than the 'broadcaster's wife' so to speak. He's just not enjoying broadcasting as much as he was coaching. The issue is that if he gets back into coaching, he's going to want to delegate some of the tasks he ordinarily took on to his assistants, as he doesn't want to overwork himself.

I guess the best way to describe the situation is not that they have a deal in place, but the major details are mostly already ironed out if the job is offered/accepted. If the job is offered, they'll go forward figuring out the smaller details.
    So what hangups do you foresee? Sounds like there are none to me

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So what hangups do you foresee? Sounds like there are none to me
    It's really just a matter if he feels up to it. The Ohio State job has been the one he's coveted ever since he got into coaching. He knows this is a once-in-a-lifetime shot to take it, more than likely. So he's heavily weighing that aspect.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If he ever wants to coach the Buckeyes he'd better do it now. No doubt about that

I guess what I find hard to believe is that Fickell could go 11-3 with a Big 10 championship,BCS bowl win and still not be considered if Meyer says he wants the job.

I guess what I find hard to believe is that Fickell could go 11-3 with a Big 10 championship,BCS bowl win and still not be considered if Meyer says he wants the job.
    Why is it hard to believe though? He's an interim coach with no promise of ever becoming the full-time coach.

If you are an investor, would you invest in a company simply because the last couple quarterly profits were up? Wouldn't you look at the big picture?

That's kind of the case here. Luke Fickell, even if Ohio State won the Big Ten, is still an unknown. Ohio State doesn't know what they would get out of him long-term. One season really doesn't tell us much about Fickell, and there are still some serious reservations about his game management. We know what Urban Meyer is. He's won 82% of his games and two national titles. He took a 2-9 Bowling Green program to an 8-3 season his first year; a 5-6 Utah program to 11-2 his first year and then turned Florida into a champion his second season. Meyer is a stock that is tried and true. Fickell is a new stock with a limited track record.

Life isn't always fair. If Urban Meyer wants the job, he gets it because his resume will trump anyone else's especially a guy like Fickell's who has just one yr on the job

So what happens if OSU hires Meyer and after a year he decides he really doesn't want to coach after all?I don't think he's the crown jewel that a lot of people makes him out to be despite the nice resume.You can't look at a resume only.Joe Paterno has a nice resume so do give him the job if he wants it?I really wouldn't mind having Meyer coach the Buckeyes and it's likely that he's the best man for the job.I'm just saying that if Fickell wins out you'll have that along with being younger,healthier and possibly more motivated on top of having coached at OSU and played at OSU.It seems reasonable to consider him regardless of who the other candidates are.

So what happens if OSU hires Meyer and after a year he decides he really doesn't want to coach after all?I don't think he's the crown jewel that a lot of people makes him out to be despite the nice resume.You can't look at a resume only.Joe Paterno has a nice resume so do give him the job if he wants it?I really wouldn't mind having Meyer coach the Buckeyes and it's likely that he's the best man for the job.I'm just saying that if Fickell wins out you'll have that along with being younger,healthier and possibly more motivated on top of having coached at OSU and played at OSU.It seems reasonable to consider him regardless of who the other candidates are.
    They've got to do their due diligence and make sure that doesn't happen. I don't think Fickell will win out anyway, but you do bring up an interesting hypothetical

Joe Paterno's resume isn't very good in the last 15 years. His is more of a lifetime achievement thing than what's happened recently. Paterno has no BCS wins. Meyer has four including two titles.

Here are Meyer's achievements since 2001:

104-23 (.819)
    2 national titles
    4 BCS victories
    7-1 bowl record

Here are some of the other top coaches in that timeframe:

Pete Carroll

97-19 (.836)
    2 national titles
    6 BCS victories
    7-2 bowl record

Mack Brown

110-24 (.821)
    1 national title
    3 BCS victories
    6-2 bowl record

Jim Tressel

94-22 (.810)
    1 national title
    4 BCS victories
    6-4 bowl record

Bob Stoops

106-27 (.797)
    0 national titles (at least since 2001)
    2 BCS victories
    5-5 bowl record

Nick Saban

99-27 (.786)
    1 national title
    3 BCS victories
    5-3 bowl record

As you can see, Meyer's resume absolutely compares to the best of the best in college football. He is a slam-dunk.

The final punishment handed down by the NCAA will likely be the deciding factor. The other uncertainty is the current athletic administration and how long they'll be around. I've got to believe the AD is getting canned at some point. Will the new people have just as much enthusiasm about Meyer as the existing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The final punishment handed down by the NCAA will likely be the deciding factor. The other uncertainty is the current athletic administration and how long they'll be around. I've got to believe the AD is getting canned at some point. Will the new people have just as much enthusiasm about Meyer as the existing.
    I think most AD's would be pretty enthused with a 82% winning percentage and 2 National Titles.

Urban Meyer isn't the perfect choice due to the health concerns, but if that is the biggest drawback I don't see how he doesn't get the job. For OSU there is certainly worse things than having Luke Fickell as a fall back (assuming he does win out).

Joe Paterno's resume isn't very good in the last 15 years. His is more of a lifetime achievement thing than what's happened recently. Paterno has no BCS wins. Meyer has four including two titles.

Here are Meyer's achievements since 2001:

104-23 (.819)
    2 national titles
    4 BCS victories
    7-1 bowl record

Here are some of the other top coaches in that timeframe:

Pete Carroll

97-19 (.836)
    2 national titles
    6 BCS victories
    7-2 bowl record

Mack Brown

110-24 (.821)
    1 national title
    3 BCS victories
    6-2 bowl record

Jim Tressel

94-22 (.810)
    1 national title
    4 BCS victories
    6-4 bowl record

Bob Stoops

106-27 (.797)
    0 national titles (at least since 2001)
    2 BCS victories
    5-5 bowl record

Nick Saban

99-27 (.786)
    1 national title
    3 BCS victories
    5-3 bowl record

As you can see, Meyer's resume absolutely compares to the best of the best in college football. He is a slam-dunk.
    I wasn't disputing his resume.I think his desire to coach can be questioned though.That has to be considered.

Turn Off Ads?