Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    OSU now faces the "failure to monitor" charge from the NCAA and has cut 5 more scholarships over the next three years.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...monitor-charge

If Meyer was to come to OSU, he'd be dealing with some significant competitive disadvantages his first several years due to self imposed penalties and whatever the NCAA tacks on. He'd also be inheriting a gap in recruiting classes as this business will likely result in at least one lack later class because here is no direction at the moment.

If he was burnt out from the grind of being the best, I'm not sure that this mess not give him significant cause for pause....
    I would say it's unlikely that Urban comes, but not impossible. If I had to guess, I'd say we still won't get a bowl ban. And while we do have a scholarship disadvantage, we're still going to get top-flight kids, just not the same amount of depth. And let's face it... it's the Big 10. How much of a disadvantage are we really at? Wisconsin recruits a different kind of kid, and PSU... let's not even get into that, as talking about football in regards to that program doesn't seem appropriate. After that, who else in the Leaders Division should we worry about?

It's still a great job. If Urban wants to get back into collegiate coaching immediately, it's still his best bet.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, this is a poorly coached team.....sorry!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Yeah, this is a poorly coached team.....sorry!
    Without a doubt, difficult to watch.

Not a good day for Ohio teams and blocked kicks.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Something to consider with Meyer now, his father died yesterday, wouldn't be surprised if it makes him be even more committed to spending time with family and not coaching.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I would say it's unlikely that Urban comes, but not impossible. If I had to guess, I'd say we still won't get a bowl ban. And while we do have a scholarship disadvantage, we're still going to get top-flight kids, just not the same amount of depth. And let's face it... it's the Big 10. How much of a disadvantage are we really at? Wisconsin recruits a different kind of kid, and PSU... let's not even get into that, as talking about football in regards to that program doesn't seem appropriate. After that, who else in the Leaders Division should we worry about?

It's still a great job. If Urban wants to get back into collegiate coaching immediately, it's still his best bet.
    I agree with all of this. At schools where you can't oversign, you have 3-5 kids in a given year on scholarship who originally walked on. Losing 5 scholarships over 3 years is far from debilitating. Basically, you just won't be able to reward those walk-ons for their hard work. I'd expect the FTM will lead to some restrictions on the head coach's recruiting hours/days, but if Urban wants to stay home more, that may be a blessing in disguise for him. And as far as recruiting goes anyway, we're talking Urban Freaking Meyer at Ohio State, the only elite program in a state full of top high school players. He's going to get 12-15 of the state's top 20 kids on his and the university's name alone. As for this year's class, Ohio State with all of its mess still has a top 25 class. If Meyer commits to take over in December, I'd would think he'd make a late push to move that class into the top 15. I also wouldn't be surprised if he flipped a couple of those Ohio kids who have given a verbal to Michigan.

The Big 10 is just plain lousy. If Meyer goes to Ohio State, I wouldn't be surprised if he won the Big 10 in his first year. In two years with all of OSU's young talent he'd have them back as a national title contender.

The most frustrating thing about that loss is that after the constipated offense squirted out three scores, something as basic as an extra point, arguably the easiest part of the game, was BLOCKED, not shanked, but BLOCKED. The Bucks and Bengals have pulled a Freaky Friday this season.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The most frustrating thing about that loss is that after the constipated offense squirted out three scores, something as basic as an extra point, arguably the easiest part of the game, was BLOCKED, not shanked, but BLOCKED. The Bucks and Bengals have pulled a Freaky Friday this season.
    Actually in the world of blocked kicks, OSU has more in common with the Bearcats and Browns than the Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    What put me over the brink was after the XP is blocked and OSU kicks off with ~50 seconds left, they kick a line drive kick designed to prevent a long return. However, it gives Purdue the ball at about the 40 yard line, effectively just giving them 20 extremely valuable yards in field position. If it wasn't for a brain-dead pass by the Purdue QB, OSU would have lost in regulation time.

I really really really don't understand why they can't get anything more than a pee-wee football passing attack going. I can name 5 local high school teams that run a more sophisticated air game. I mean, really?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I really really really don't understand why they can't get anything more than a pee-wee football passing attack going. I can name 5 local high school teams that run a more sophisticated air game. I mean, really?
    I think it goes to the heart of the matter. Jim Bollman has done little to improve the offense this season. It was a signature of Tressel's teams that they got better as the season went along. With Miller at QB and a bunch of raw WR's I thought the passing game would be rough all season long. I never imagined it would be as rough as it currently is. I still can't believe they can't execute a basic slant or call for a screen pass, or bubble screen, or easy pass calls. Hopefully the last two games will be the last with Bollman calling the offensive plays.

The offense got better when more passing calls were made. Miller may not be a good passer but he is at his best when he has room to move around. The TD pass to Hall was a heck of a play made by Miller's feet.

"We are 99.7% sure Urban Meyer has agreed to a deal to become the next coach of Ohio State. Solid sources. Plural."

Tweet from elevenwarriors. Also, there's this http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N891CA

Where there's smoke, there's fire?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    "We are 99.7% sure Urban Meyer has agreed to a deal to become the next coach of Ohio State. Solid sources. Plural."

Tweet from elevenwarriors. Also, there's this http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N891CA

Where there's smoke, there's fire?
    I know some of those guys a little bit and have a pretty good idea of their sources. They're legit.

There's no doubt in my mind, knowing someone that speaks directly to Urban on a consistent basis, that Urban wants the job (and I posted as much earlier in this thread). It's really more "when" rather than "if" at this point. The numbers have already been discussed in depth, and some of the prospective assistants have already been solicited. It's just a matter of timing and signing the dotted line.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I know some of those guys a little bit and have a pretty good idea of their sources. They're legit.

There's no doubt in my mind, knowing someone that speaks directly to Urban on a consistent basis, that Urban wants the job (and I posted as much earlier in this thread). It's really more "when" rather than "if" at this point. The numbers have already been discussed in depth, and some of the prospective assistants have already been solicited. It's just a matter of timing and signing the dotted line.
    Sounds good to me.

Any idea of who the assistants are?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Sounds good to me.

Rumors flying today that the Temple DC is who Urban wants. I wish they would just announce him as the coach and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Sounds good to me.

The buzz going around is he's already contacted Greg Studrawa, OC for LSU. Studrawa coached under Meyer at Bowling Green and is a B.G. alum and grew up in Ohio. There's a lot of talk that Ohio State will try to retain Luke Fickell as an associate head coach (to take some of the load off Meyer). I also expect Paul Haynes and Stan Drayton to be retained from the current staff.

As mentioned, Chuck Heater is the odds-on favorite to be the defensive coordinator. He was Meyer's guy at Florida and is coaching at Temple right now.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?