Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Of course there hasn't been an interview. And there won't be. You don't need to interview guys that already have two national titles.

He's absolutely telling the truth on that.

You notice he didn't say there hasn't been contact? People are looking at these quotes too broadly. He's telling the truth. There hasn't been an interview. He hasn't had an "offer." He's able to refute the rumors rather honestly right now.
    What, you mean this process wasn't turned over to an executive search firm where people turned in their resumes with slick, attention-getting cover letters? How will they possibly get the best and brightest without doing so?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any truth to the rumors that Mrs. Meyer isn't exactly thrilled with Urban getting back into coaching?

The rumor I read was the she actually was encouraging him to get back into it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The rumor I read was the she actually was encouraging him to get back into it.
    I had read that as well. Now someone on another site is claiming he's taking the job but she's upset about it. I find that hard to believe.

Meyer quit the Florida job citing health and family reasons. It's pretty unlikely that those issues were solved in such a short time. Either he's willing to again endure the family issues or OSU won't be getting he same effort that Florida got. Or he quit Florida for reasons not stated.

If he does indeed become the buckeye coach, he may not be long for the job.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-24-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Any truth to the rumors that Mrs. Meyer isn't exactly thrilled with Urban getting back into coaching?
    It runs completely contrary to everything I've been hearing for two months. And I doubt very seriously he would have taken the job if his wife wasn't totally on board with it. In fact, his wife is a Buckeye fan, her family lives in Ohio and she carries a 'buckeye' around in her pocket for luck. She has no issues with him taking the job if he's happy. As far as his health issues... overblown, really. The health and burnout stuff, coupled with the long hours and stress, was causing a rift at home. However, Urban left for many different reasons beyond the health stuff. He was tired of recruiting against the dirty and sleaze in the SEC and hated trying to compete with the over-signing. That stuff took a toll as he didn't want to do those things.

He'll find himself to be much happier at a place he's wanted to coach all his life and distant from the deep south recruiting, which is every man for himself.
    Last edited by Brutus; 11-24-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Meyer quit the Florida job citing health and family reasons. It's pretty unlikely that those issues were solved in such a short time. Either he's willing to again endure the family issues or OSU won't be getting he same effort that Florida got. Or he quit Florida for reasons not stated.

If he does indeed become the buckeye coach, he may not be long for the job.
    It's easier to coach at OSU than Florida. Less competition in your conference. Less competition for recruits in your talent-rich state. Your competition can't over-sign.

And there's a lot of smoke that he quit Florida for "reasons not stated".

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    It's easier to coach at OSU than Florida. Less competition in your conference. Less competition for recruits in your talent-rich state. Your competition can't over-sign.

And there's a lot of smoke that he quit Florida for "reasons not stated".
    I think he is a good enough coach to look at the team he had in Florida, the team he was going to have in the very near future and he got out of Dodge while his stock was still sky high. Florida is 6-5 this year.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I think he is a good enough coach to look at the team he had in Florida, the team he was going to have in the very near future and he got out of Dodge while his stock was still sky high. Florida is 6-5 this year.
    If that had anything to do with it, he would have followed through in leaving after losing Tebow and the several NFL picks they had that season.

Florida has had four consecutive top-5 recruiting classes. Talent is absolutely not the problem there. Anytime there's a transition and a new coach is putting a different system in place, there is a risk it could look ugly. And it's possible that Meyer simply is a better coach than Muschamp was.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I have a strange feeling about this coming to fruition. Not sure why, but I do. It will be the most excited I've been about the Bucks in a long time. I never hid the fact that I was looking forward to the Tressel era ending, although I wish it would have been under different circumstances.

But had you asked me two years ago who I'd want coaching my favorite team out of anyone in the country it would have been Meyer. I still think he's the best coach in the nation. Saban could be argued, but I'd never want him coaching a team I root for. There's little I respect about Nick Saban even if he is a really good coach.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If that had anything to do with it, he would have followed through in leaving after losing Tebow and the several NFL picks they had that season.

Florida has had four consecutive top-5 recruiting classes. Talent is absolutely not the problem there. Anytime there's a transition and a new coach is putting a different system in place, there is a risk it could look ugly. And it's possible that Meyer simply is a better coach than Muschamp was.
    You osu guys miss the 8-5 disaster from last year? with three total blow outs? this years Florida team and last years (Meyer) are both plain and simple awful.

If osu gets the 01 to 09 Meyer you're in good hands, if you get the delegate it all man from 10 after he retired and came back, could be a major disappointment.
    Go Gators!

OSU - Michigan game from 1969 now playing on the Big Ten Network. (On until 1:30pm est.)

This was BO's first game coaching against Woody.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    You osu guys miss the 8-5 disaster from last year? with three total blow outs? this years Florida team and last years (Meyer) are both plain and simple awful.

If osu gets the 01 to 09 Meyer you're in good hands, if you get the delegate it all man from 10 after he retired and came back, could be a major disappointment.
    Don't you feel like it's classic cherry-picking to have to cite the 2010 season in order to otherwise cast doubt on a guy with two titles, four BCS wins, a 7-1 bowl record and having won 82 percent of his games?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

If Cam Newton wasn't a thief/academic cheat while at Florida, Meyer wins at a minimum 10 games last year and you could probably argue that those blowouts become winnable with Cam running the show.

It's not really casting doubt or cherry picking, it's his most recent year of coaching and there was a definite change, the OC, now coach at Temple, did the interviews, did the coaches shows, was the one on the sideline doing the talking to the players, was the one the players said more then once was the guy running practice.

If you guys want to dismiss it I understand that, but the 10 Meyer was different, and not just because the team was awful.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?