Turn Off Ads?

Thread: joe nathan?

joe nathan?

The guy pitched decent coming back from TJ surgery, @ 45innings with good numbers except for era. Was dominate before the surgery and is 36years old, he IMO would be a good guy for the closer role for the next 2-3 years. He misses bats and has good control and wouldn't break the bank if givin a 3 year contract say for 18-20 million. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: joe nathan?

I think he might be a good player to sign. He wants to remain a closer.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Interesting idea. He can still miss bats and what was nearly a career best BB rate for Cordero was a bad year for Nathan. If he's healthy, I'd certainly prefer him to Cordero if the money is similar. Of course, I'd rather not pay for any established closer...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

The nice thing about signing free agent closers to one-year deals is that they're easy to flip at the trade deadline if your team is out of contention.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The nice thing about signing free agent closers to one-year deals is that they're easy to flip at the trade deadline if your team is out of contention.
    That's one of the reasons why I wouldn't do a 3 year deal. Nathan is probably going to resign with the Twinkies anyway at a lower price. But, if the Reds have a legit shot at a reasonable price I'd consider him.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

If he doesn't break the bank, I'd love to see him in Red. I prefer him to Coco. As always it comes down to $$

If he's cheap, sign me up.

Cheap being $2.5 million or less per two-year contract.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If he's cheap, sign me up.

Cheap being $2.5 million or less per two-year contract.
    He was putrid from mid April until they shut him down to work on the side. When he came back he was pretty decent. There was no pressure to win in Minnesota really all season, but especially after he came back in July. Buy low on this one.

He is also at that tricky age, where guys disappear.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I would love this. Definitely a better idea than investing any more $$ in Coco. (Although, Coco wasn't a bust by any means, but I still don't think it would be wise to re-sign him.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I would love this. Definitely a better idea than investing any more $$ in Coco. (Although, Coco wasn't a bust by any means, but I still don't think it would be wise to re-sign him.)
    I don't know if it's just me but Texas closer Feliz is looking more and more like Coco everytime I see him. Mainly FBs, occasional changeup, lots of three ball counts along with walks and hit batsmen. I guess you can mae it and maybe even win the World Series with a guy like that, but I wouldn't want to have to

Turn Off Ads?