Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Brad Boxberger

9 10.71%
  • LHP Tony Cingran

1 1.19%
  • RHP Dan Corcino

45 53.57%
  • UT Todd Frazier

4 4.76%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

1 1.19%
  • OF Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

3 3.57%
  • 1B Neftali Soto

7 8.33%
  • RHP Robert Stephenson

11 13.10%
  • 2B Ron Torreyes

3 3.57%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 1B/OF Yonder Alonso
    #3 C Yasmani Grandal
    #4 SS Billy Hamilton
    #5 SS Zack Cozart

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

I know people won't like my pick but I don't care. ~

Dave Sappelt for me. I have him at 4 on my personal list behind Mes, Cozart and Alonso. I think he can be a starting caliber CF with a lot of range and a better bat than Stubbs or Heisey have and he's the last guy on the list that I view as a highly likely starting caliber position player (except possibly for Grandal who I have at number 5 on my list). From there, there will be a lot more uncertainty for me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Corcino, just as I had him at 4 and 5.

I think Corcino will win this poll, but I went with Box.

Projectable, good minor league numbers, close to the majors.

I think closers are important.

And Box likely could have started had the Reds chosen to go that way.

Stephenson has no track record. Corcino did very well at low A but isn't as projectable.

Sappelt

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I know people won't like my pick but I don't care. ~
    If you mean Frazier, I do like the pick. I have him in the top ten as well.

I think the Reds did Frazier a great service by moving him around the field defensively. He will be a valuable utility man initially and eventually could grow into a set position, perhaps third base, for the Reds or some other team.

I went with Cingrani. Just named Best Starting Pitcher in Short Season by Minor League Baseball. 1.75 ERA .190 Average 51 innings 35 hits 80K's, in a hitters league.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...vkey=news_milb

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Corcino will win this poll, but I went with Box.

Projectable, good minor league numbers, close to the majors.

I think closers are important.

And Box likely could have started had the Reds chosen to go that way.

Stephenson has no track record. Corcino did very well at low A but isn't as projectable.
    Relief pitches do not have that much value and that is why with the class of prospects the Reds do have, Box should not sniff the top 10.

I went with Soto again although it looks like I may have to a few more times. I do not see anything wrong Corcino though going ahead give his performance and projection.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Corcino. He has good scouting reports and good numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Relief pitches do not have that much value and that is why with the class of prospects the Reds do have, Box should not sniff the top 10.

Well, I've heard that statement about relief pitchers made around here. They supposedly don't have much value.

I've never thought this was a particularly well-reasoned view. Good late inning relievers are very important. They have an important role in the outcome of games. Some make high salaries. Some make the All Star Game. Some even make the Hall of Fame.

If Box becomes the Reds closer for, say, four seasons, he will have a vital impact on games and seasons.

And I think Boxberger has a good chance of holding down a closer or key setup man role for the Reds. Soon.

Doesn't mean anyone has to vote for him. There are other good candidates. But Box's role as closer-in-waiting shouldn't be held against him.

I'll keep picking Soto till he's not an option.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I went with Cingrani. Just named Best Starting Pitcher in Short Season by Minor League Baseball. 1.75 ERA .190 Average 51 innings 35 hits 80K's, in a hitters league.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...vkey=news_milb
    Nice article -- thanks Jax. Some pretty encouraging quotes from Forsch on Cingrani. That's a very nice 3rd round draft choice by the Reds. Cingrani was on the radar per national publications, but not that high, and his numbers looked ugly.

This one is close for me, but I went with Corcino, he is a little farther off from the big league level than some of the other guys, but he does have amazing stuff and I think once he does arrive at the pro level in Cincy, he will be special. He is my #6.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Well, I've heard that statement about relief pitchers made around here. They supposedly don't have much value.

I've never thought this was a particularly well-reasoned view. Good late inning relievers are very important. They have an important role in the outcome of games. Some make high salaries. Some make the All Star Game. Some even make the Hall of Fame.

If Box becomes the Reds closer for, say, four seasons, he will have a vital impact on games and seasons.

And I think Boxberger has a good chance of holding down a closer or key setup man role for the Reds. Soon.

Doesn't mean anyone has to vote for him. There are other good candidates. But Box's role as closer-in-waiting shouldn't be held against him.
    I think the reasoning is that many (if not most) premier relievers were primarily starters through their minor league careers and only switched to relief when they reached the majors. This certainly used to be true though I'm not sure it still is. Regardless the perception still exists.

I think Box is a better bet to to help the Reds than most on the list, but unless he forces himself into the closer role his impact will be relatively low.

Turn Off Ads?