Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Brad Boxberger

9 10.71%
  • LHP Tony Cingran

1 1.19%
  • RHP Dan Corcino

45 53.57%
  • UT Todd Frazier

4 4.76%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

1 1.19%
  • OF Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

3 3.57%
  • 1B Neftali Soto

7 8.33%
  • RHP Robert Stephenson

11 13.10%
  • 2B Ron Torreyes

3 3.57%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Can't believe we're on the second page and nobody has mentioned Torreyes. Just turned 19. Has excelled in A ball. Career average of .364. OBP of .419. Tremendous defensively. Good speed. Low strikeouts. Advanced instincts. Very professional. And most important, the Dayton club took off--I mean, absolutely soared--the moment he joined it.
    I have him at 6 on my personal list behind Mes, Cozart, Alonso, Sappelt and Grandal. The reports on his amazing defense at 2B are what brought him well up my list. The kid looks like he can hit some and if his defense is already major league plus as has been reported, he seems like a fairly safe bet even for a kid so small, young and far away. He is by far my top guy in the 20 and under age group. I actually think there is a gap behind those six to the next tier of prospects (which in my book includes Boxberger, Stephenson, Hamilton, Corcino, Soto, Frazier, H-Rod and Y-Rod).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reminder: Dave Sappelt has 118 major league plate appearances. He turns 25 in January.

His OPS the last 2 years in the minors: .902/.834

His OBP the last 2 years in the minors: .395/.377

He plays good defense -- sometimes his defense looked exceptional in LF for the Reds. He's got speed on the bases.

This guy has been dismissed way too early, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Reminder: Dave Sappelt has 118 major league plate appearances. He turns 25 in January.

He plays good defense -- sometimes his defense looked exceptional in LF for the Reds. He's got speed on the bases.

The fact that you're talking about left field doesn't mean quite THAT much to me. Center means alot more to me since Stubbs is still, well, Stubbs. But, other than that, you've given me something to think about for my next picks.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-28-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: grammer

The commentators, etc., remarked often about how Sappelt was being too impatient in his September call-up, swinging at too many first pitches, etc. I don't disagree, but there was another aspect of his performance that I thought undermined him. He seemed to hit an extraordinary number of fly balls to the warning track, or just in front of the track. I wonder if he was seduced by the friendliness of GABP and tried to muscle-up and make an impression. It didn't seem to be his game. It looked like he wasn't overmatched, but just doesn't have the power to do what he was doing. I'm hoping it was an aberration, and next time around those fly balls turn into line drives.

The commentators, etc., remarked often about how Sappelt was being too impatient in his September call-up, swinging at too many first pitches, etc. I don't disagree, but there was another aspect of his performance that I thought undermined him. He seemed to hit an extraordinary number of fly balls to the warning track, or just in front of the track. I wonder if he was seduced by the friendliness of GABP and tried to muscle-up and make an impression. It didn't seem to be his game. It looked like he wasn't overmatched, but just doesn't have the power to do what he was doing. I'm hoping it was an aberration, and next time around those fly balls turn into line drives.
    Agree with these observations. Did not look overmatched at all. Personally, I'd like to see what would happen if he moved up on the plate a little. He's quick enough not to get jammed, and I thought he gave away the outside corner just a tad. He's got a great stroke, and it's going to play at the big league level.

I think the Reds need Sappelt's bat, but defensively teams run on his arm. I'm just not sure he can make all the throws and I think Doug has said he's actually better suited for CF than LF. I think chopping off 120 strikeouts from the lineup by replacing Stubbs with Sappelt is a worthy idea. Where does that put Sappelt on this list? I'm not sure yet, it's got to be pretty high.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Replacing Stubbs with Sappelt is an idea, but as of right now Sappelt would be a downgrade in most categories. He doesn't have Stubbs's power, stealing ability, or upside, and his OBP will probably only be a minor upgrade from what we've seen. It's not that he'll be a bad player, but as of right now I don't see him as having a regular starting role on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Replacing Stubbs with Sappelt is an idea, but as of right now Sappelt would be a downgrade in most categories. He doesn't have Stubbs's power, stealing ability, or upside, and his OBP will probably only be a minor upgrade from what we've seen. It's not that he'll be a bad player, but as of right now I don't see him as having a regular starting role on the team.
    Depends on which Stubbs you're talking about, Dark.

Sappelt's power will play better than Stubbs' power from last season and the minors. (He'll get 15 dingers and a whole passel of doubles if he plays everyday.) If all you did was watch his major league audition, you missed most of his power, as he had a lat injury that largely robbed him of power. He'll get better.

He's around a 380 minor league obp. And that profiles better than Stubbs, as the latter continues to struggle with the long swing and sliders off the plate. (Every. Plate. Attempt. )

There are definitely arguments to be made for Sappelt. (The most convincing, IMO, is that Stubbs has trade value and the Reds need something aside from three CFers who're all pretty much equal in value.)

Funny, I think the opposite. He didn't show power in his MLB stint. He didn't show walks. He doesn't seem like a top of the order guy. He doesn't seem like a middle of the order guy. He doesn't have a great arm.

This spells backup to me. I have read here that Sappelt wasn't healthy so maybe his performance was hampered. Hope he does better next time at full health.

Wouldn't put him in the top ten prospects. Even with the AAA stats.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-28-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Funny, I think the opposite. He didn't show power in his MLB stint. He didn't show walks. He doesn't seem like a top of the order guy. He doesn't seem like a middle of the order guy. He doesn't have a great arm.

This spells backup to me. I have read here that Sappelt wasn't healthy so maybe his performance was hampered. Hope he does better next time at full health.

Wouldn't put him in the top ten prospects. Even with the AAA stats.
    He looked incredibly underwhelming with the Reds. I'm holding out hope that a healthy Sappelt actually has some authority in his swing, but I'm a little hesitant right now until I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Depends on which Stubbs you're talking about, Dark.

Sappelt's power will play better than Stubbs' power from last season and the minors. (He'll get 15 dingers and a whole passel of doubles if he plays everyday.) If all you did was watch his major league audition, you missed most of his power, as he had a lat injury that largely robbed him of power. He'll get better.

He's around a 380 minor league obp. And that profiles better than Stubbs, as the latter continues to struggle with the long swing and sliders off the plate. (Every. Plate. Attempt. )

There are definitely arguments to be made for Sappelt. (The most convincing, IMO, is that Stubbs has trade value and the Reds need something aside from three CFers who're all pretty much equal in value.)
    Once Sappelt can start showing us that kind of skill regularly, I'll believe it. Don't get me wrong, he's talented and can be a great contributor. He's got the speed. His defense is good overall. When he's not so nervy, he gets on base a lot. But as of right now, he's still limited... he doesn't steal, he doesn't hit for a lot of power, and he doesn't have that arm... and all that drives down his value quite a bit. He'd make a good platoon CF with Heisey. But in that case, you're relying on two uncertain platoons in the outfield, a rookie SS and C, and a big question mark at 3B, and do we really want to be that kind of team heading into next season?

The argument that Stubbs has trade value is a valid one, but you can't forget that he is still young and has a lot of upside left to show. If he can refine his swing and get comfortable hitting .260 regularly with his below-average HR total from this year, he'll be one of our top contributors. And even that's assuming that he won't take that step forward that we thought we would this year. We'd be selling him remarkably low, especially with BJ Upton on the market as well, who will bring down the price for a guy like Stubbs.

Turn Off Ads?