Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo un-moveable? Maybe not.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Arroyo un-moveable? Maybe not.

MLBTR

Rany Jazayerli explores the starting pitching trade market from the perspective of the Royals and lists A.J. Burnett, Bronson Arroyo, Ryan Dempster, Carlos Zambrano, Wandy Rodriguez and Ted Lilly as arms Moore could pursue. These possible targets have substantial contracts to go along with experience and some ability.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo un-moveable? Maybe not.

Could the Reds trade Arroyo? Sure, anything's possible. But, it would probably have to be a deal where a couple more players, like Francisco and Bailey, AND cash were included AND with the Reds not receiving alot in return.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Could the Reds trade Arroyo? Sure, anything's possible. But, it would probably have to be a deal where a couple more players, like Francisco and Bailey, AND cash were included AND with the Reds not receiving alot in return.
    I don't think it would take that much.

If The Reds basically offer him up for free to anyone who takes the contract, you might be surprised to see some teams interested. I don't think they'd need to include money, another pitcher, and a promising hitter just to get someone to take him off our hands. And if that was the case, they'd be foolish to even think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

If the Reds offer him up for free to anyone that is willing to take his contract they'd be hoping some team thinks his name was Vernon Wells. Yeah, that's possible but it's far from a lock to happen and if they wanted any kind of decent return they'd have to include more.

But that's what I'm saying - who cares about the return? If you have to throw in money and valuable players just to get back something decent for him, just give him away. That or hold onto him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

His contract isn't that bad, not like its 18 million for 7 more years or something. Considering he was sick/hurt most of last year I could see some team taking a chance on him if they didnt have to give up much in prospects.

Renember, he has 5 & 10 rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Renember, he has 5 & 10 rights.
    Not yet. Cot's has him at 8.15 years service time, although I'm not sure that includes 2011 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Not yet. Cot's has him at 8.15 years service time, although I'm not sure that includes 2011 yet.
    Of course, if it doesn't include this season, it still would be just 9.15 years. Part of what it might take to move him is for him to agree to renegotiate the clauses that kick in if he's traded. That's a big "if", but it could happen. I'm not sure it would happen going to the Royals, but one never knows.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Veteran starting pitching is going to be in high demand this off season, since both the Red Sox and Yankees have that on top of their shopping lists, so anything's possible. Even with Arroyo's deferred payment kicking in, he's affordable to both teams.

The Red Sox have been rumored to want to move Youk for starting pitching, which might be a good matchup.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Word is the Yankees may pursue Beltran. Perhaps we could interest them in a Swisher/Arroyo+ swap (of course, I'd prefer Gardner, but I think the Yankees recognize his value). Of course, Arroyo has 10/5 rights and given his love for Boston, I'm not sure he'd want to wear pinstripes.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Word is the Yankees may pursue Beltran. Perhaps we could interest them in a Swisher/Arroyo+ swap (of course, I'd prefer Gardner, but I think the Yankees recognize his value). Of course, Arroyo has 10/5 rights and given his love for Boston, I'm not sure he'd want to wear pinstripes.
    Where are people getting this? I'm not seeing this anywhere. Is there something I'm missing?

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Where are people getting this? I'm not seeing this anywhere. Is there something I'm missing?
    Its my understanding that it's 10 years of MLB service time (started with Pirates I believe up through RS and now Reds) and at least 5 years with the same club (which he more than has with the Reds). I thought he was eligible for this after this past season too. My only confusion is how much MLB service time he had before going to Boston.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

The Reds could easily trade Arroyo without kicking in cash if they were willing to accept no talent in return. Easily.
    Think about it.. If you are looking for a veteran pitcher at that price range and you only want to commit to 2 more years (Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Bronson only signed two more years?).. There's not many options.. Most FAs won't sign a deal that short.

Bronson had a bad year, no doubt.. but he's a good rebound candidate.

The problem the Reds have is that beyond Leake and Cueto, everyone is a question mark in the rotation.. But let's sort them out.. Of Chapman/Wood/Volquez/Arroyo/Homer.. Who is most likely to pitch 180+ innings and have an ERA better than 4.50? I think I would have to pick Bronson. Homer may have more talent at this point, but he gets hurt every year.

However, I wouldn't cry if Bronson was traded and the money was spent somewhere else. I just don't think Bronson is a total albotross.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Its my understanding that it's 10 years of MLB service time (started with Pirates I believe up through RS and now Reds) and at least 5 years with the same club (which he more than has with the Reds). I thought he was eligible for this after this past season too. My only confusion is how much MLB service time he had before going to Boston.
    Yep, and I noted above that per Cot's he has 8.15 years of service time, but can't be positive that includes this year. Even if it doesn't, that puts him at 9.15 years, so he doesn't have 10 and 5 rights by my count. However, I wasn't positive that service time is that is used in this clause, or if its total seasons played in the MLB (if that makes any sense).

Turn Off Ads?