Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Larussa Retiring

Re: Larussa Retiring

La Russa's retirement means three record-setting managers – Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and La Russa – will be eligible for Hall of Fame consideration for the first time by the Expansion Era Committee in 2013. It could result in a memorable Class of 2014.

http://baseballhall.org/news/history/'14-and-counting
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    La Russa's retirement means three record-setting managers – Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and La Russa – will be eligible for Hall of Fame consideration for the first time by the Expansion Era Committee in 2013. It could result in a memorable Class of 2014.

http://baseballhall.org/news/history/'14-and-counting
    All three should go in easily. I like Joe Torre. I'm not crazy about the other two but all three merit induction.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I propose a new HOF rule: Larussa cannot go in until Mark McGwire is elected.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I propose a new HOF rule: Larussa cannot go in until Mark McGwire is elected.
    To be honest, if you're not voting for guys because you think they used steroids, then you can't vote for LaRussa either.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I really don't think I'll hate them as much anymore now that La Russa is gone, and Albert the Destroyer is possibly gone as well.

I know what you mean but they still have Carpenter.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    To be honest, if you're not voting for guys because you think they used steroids, then you can't vote for LaRussa either.
    I think that was the point tixe was making.

Ding Dong!The Witch is dead.Which old Witch?The Wicked Witch?Ding Dong!The Wicked Witch is dead!

Well I guess he just retired but I'm celebrating.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I know what you mean but they still have Carpenter.
    And Molina.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

LaRussa spelled backwards starts with a-s-s.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Not that I'm a fan of LaRussa, but I don't get that argument unless you have evidence that LaRussa was the one who turned them onto the PEDs. If it's just guilt by association, then you're arguing that no managers or baseball executives in the last 25 years can go into the Hall of Fame, since they no doubt had juicers on their team at some point and the next one to turn in one of their own players will be the first.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Not that I'm a fan of LaRussa, but I don't get that argument unless you have evidence that LaRussa was the one who turned them onto the PEDs. If it's just guilt by association, then you're arguing that no managers or baseball executives in the last 25 years can go into the Hall of Fame, since they no doubt had juicers on their team at some point and the next one to turn in one of their own players will be the first.
    LaRussa's A's started the PED culture. He brought that culture (and McGwire) with him to St. Louis. When I think PED's and manager, I think LaRussa.

There is no question that he knew of the PED use in both clubhouses(despite his absurd denials). The only question is how much he encouraged it. Cheating to win is in his blood.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

LaRussa's A's started the PED culture. He brought that culture (and McGwire) with him to St. Louis. When I think PED's and manager, I think LaRussa.

There is no question that he knew of the PED use in both clubhouses(despite his absurd denials). The only question is how much he encouraged it. Cheating to win is in his blood.
    If you are going to hold LaRussa to these ridiculous standards, no manager in the steroid era deserves to go into the HOF, including Cox and Torre. This was a baseball wide issue not just relegated to one or two managers. I also don't see how you can keep a guy out of the HOF for stuff that A. other players did independent of his knowledge and B. because there was no standard in baseball set up to to deal with steroids. For example, the stuff that McGwire took was not punishable, at the time, by the rules of baseball. The only way LaRussa can be punished on this issue is if he bought the roids and injected or had someone inject them into the players himself.

I am going to be interested in seeing who takes over this job. I know some people are pushing for Oquendo but I don't think this job can be given to a first year manager. They need to get someone with experience and who has had some sort of success. Francona or Maddon are my top two guys. I know Maddon is under contract for next year but I feel they can work something out with Tampa Bay.

I wish all the luck to TLR in his retirement. I will never forget the success and championships he brought to St. Louis.

It also amazes me the "outrage" on this forum over the PED use under LaRussa when the Reds current manager has some real creditability issues in this department. If you all are going to be fair about it, call for Dusty Baker's head as well.

NA NA NA HEY HEY - CRAZY FROG - YouTube

Goodbye to one of the most pissy people in baseball. Too bad he can't take the rest of the garbage with him (Crissy, Duncan, and the rest).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Hope he decides he needs to get back into the game just about the time the Reds figure out Dusty is not the answer.
    Please God no. He is the ONE person that I would trade my Reds fan card if he has ANY position with the organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?