Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Larussa Retiring

Re: Larussa Retiring

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Duncan is almost certain to leave then too, right? Now with La Russa gone and his wife still dealing with her health issues.
    You would think so.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Lots of Cardinals fans did not like him at all and it will be interesting to see if that tune changes pretty quickly next season.
    The Cardinals fanbase is split half and half on LaRussa. You either love him or hate him...few are in the middle. I really don't think that the ones who hate him will ever change their mind. They have 16 years fo reasons for hating him. If the Cardianls lose next year, then they will jsut dislike the new manager as well. I doubt it will change their opinion of LaRussa if 2 World Championships haven't already changed their minds.

Hope he decides he needs to get back into the game just about the time the Reds figure out Dusty is not the answer.
    Last edited by HokieRed; 10-31-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Senor Votto

Good bye. So long. Fair well.

Watch the adult beverages.

I think the one thing that is always overlooked in LaRussa's managerial career besides the arrogance and the micromanaging is how his teams in Oakland and even in St Louis were always the center of the steroid and HGH era. Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire both played under LaRussa and at times I wonder how clean Pujols is just by association.

Even then, at one point I remember reading how St Louis was always regarded as the "Southern Gentlemen" of baseball, especially during the days of Stan Musial. Cardinals fans were generally respected throughout baseball, and it seems with LaRussa at the helm they were a team that everybody loved to hate.

I think Tony comes back after taking a year or two off. I doubt he passes Connie Mack but a new challenge as well as passing John McGraw for second on the all time wins list is a possibility. This current Cardinals team won the World Series at improbable odds, but the team is not built for long-term success (even moreso if Pujols leaves) and Tony knows it. If Mattingly can't get it done, the Dodgers are a possibility.

With that said, is Jose Oquendo the top choice to replace LaRussa? Terry Francona? It will be interesting to see if the Cardinals stay in-house or if they go after a big name manager again.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Maybe the Reds can trade Dusty to the Cards.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I wonder how this effects Pujols.

And most Cardinal fans I know are celebrating this, almost as much as they are celebrating their Championship.
    I wonder how this effects Duncan. His influence extends to an entire pitching staff. I know he's got one more year on his contract but as a Reds fan I'd love to see Duncan move on

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Even then, at one point I remember reading how St Louis was always regarded as the "Southern Gentlemen" of baseball, especially during the days of Stan Musial. Cardinals fans were generally respected throughout baseball, and it seems with LaRussa at the helm they were a team that everybody loved to hate.
    I really don't think I'll hate them as much anymore now that La Russa is gone, and Albert the Destroyer is possibly gone as well.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think the one thing that is always overlooked in LaRussa's managerial career besides the arrogance and the micromanaging is how his teams in Oakland and even in St Louis were always the center of the steroid and HGH era. Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire both played under LaRussa and at times I wonder how clean Pujols is just by association.
    Not to mention Rick Ankiel and his HGH use, which was only uncovered through his supply chain and not testing.

There has been no HGH era, because HGH still goes undetected by current testing methods. You can still use it and get away with it, just make sure your supplier doesn't get caught.

LaRussa is (or has been) "win at any cost". Reminds me of the Sensei of the Cobra Kai dojo from "Karate Kid". Nothing would surprise me about him.

"Sweep his leg, Johnny".
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Pujols, 35 million dollar player manager?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

When is he eligible for Cooperstown?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I never could stand TLR as a manager. He was a guy who thought very highly of himself and made games drag on for ever. The pitching changes and the constant over managing made me change the channel.

But you can't deny that TLR came up with maybe the two most improbable championships in history with the Cards. Maybe its karma for his failure to win more with the bash brother A's. I am glad he is retiring not only because he is a good manager but because I grew tired of watching games in which he managed.

I think this move gives Pujols less of a reason to stay...but then again, maybe it doesn't have an impact at all.

TLR was a great manager, but I also think he was a dirty manager and a whiner. And I think TLR absolutely outmanaged Dusty every time the Cards would play the Reds, so in that respect, I'm glad he's leaving.

Oops...d/p
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 10-31-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Sad. An End of an Era.

The Juicing Era where the manager turns a blind eye.

Turn Off Ads?