Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Larussa Retiring

Re: Larussa Retiring

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Since it seemingly has to be said, I also don't believe that Dusty Baker should go into the Hall of Fame before Barry Bonds.

Or Bobby Bonds, for that matter. Or Ward Bond. Or Gary Ward.
    Hey I liked Ward Bond. He seemed to be in every movie made between 1935 and 1960.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not sure I get the logic here.
    Hyptothetical: What if we found out tommorrow that Dibble used steriods?
    Should that hurt Pinella's chances of getting into the HOF?

The owners new that steriods were being used, and enabled it because the HR records made everyone richer. The owners did nothing concrete about roid abuse until they were pretty much forced to.

Guys like LaRussa, Towers, Beane, Epstein, etc should not take the fall because the owners created an environment that caused roid abuse to flourish.
    The logic is not that any manager who managed a PED user shouldn't get into the HOF. The logic is that LaRussa = PED's.

He didn't just have a few players who used, he managed the two teams who during his tenure, epitomized the steroid era. He didn't just let it happen, he enabled it, and most likely encouraged it, in both clubhouses, for decades.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Maybe I am overreacting but couldn't LaRussa of waited a week or so before announcing his decision?? It seems like all the attention, focus and glory of the Cards winning the WS is being over shadowed by him retiring.

But then again, that is LaRussa.
    This seems a bit nit picky in my opinion. The Cards need to fill the manager position as soon as possible considering the other huge thing they have to do in the off season. Plus, he decided to do this in August and there was no point in him putting it off any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The logic is not that any manager who managed a PED user shouldn't get into the HOF. The logic is that LaRussa = PED's.

He didn't just have a few players who used, he managed the two teams who during his tenure, epitomized the steroid era. He didn't just let it happen, he enabled it, and most likely encouraged it, in both clubhouses, for decades.
    The Spanish Inquisition would be proud. The whole issue of PED's is turning into that where speculation reigns supreme instead of any real facts on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    This seems a bit nit picky in my opinion. The Cards need to fill the manager position as soon as possible considering the other huge thing they have to do in the off season. Plus, he decided to do this in August and there was no point in him putting it off any longer.
    I don't think its a big deal. Anybody who watched the Cardinals at all this season or at least the World Series knows that LaRussa's health hasn't been the greatest this season. Same with Dave Duncan, who I also expect to follow LaRussa into the sunset.

I don't see Francona taking the job either. If the Cardinals do talk to him, the Cubs would instantly fire Quade and hire him just to keep him away from St Louis. If the Cards get into a bidding war, what message does that send to Albert? I think its Joe Maddon, and the Cards can work out a compensation package for the Rays (maybe even trade Oquendo for Maddon).

The Spanish Inquisition would be proud. The whole issue of PED's is turning into that where speculation reigns supreme instead of any real facts on the issue.
    I prefer the Jim Tressel approach. Both LaRussa and Tressel are similar in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't think its a big deal. Anybody who watched the Cardinals at all this season or at least the World Series knows that LaRussa's health hasn't been the greatest this season. Same with Dave Duncan, who I also expect to follow LaRussa into the sunset.

I don't see Francona taking the job either. If the Cardinals do talk to him, the Cubs would instantly fire Quade and hire him just to keep him away from St Louis. If the Cards get into a bidding war, what message does that send to Albert? I think its Joe Maddon, and the Cards can work out a compensation package for the Rays (maybe even trade Oquendo for Maddon).

I prefer the Jim Tressel approach. Both LaRussa and Tressel are similar in that regard.

I think Dave Duncan is the biggest wild card of the whole thing. He is still under contract but his wife is dealing with cancer and it certainly took a toll on him this season. I would love for the Cards to get Maddon or Francona.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I defended Pete Rose until the day he confessed, so I understand your position. Lol

There are plenty of facts. I suggest you start here:

http://www.amazon.com/Juicing-Game-D.../dp/0670034452
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I think Dave Duncan is the biggest wild card of the whole thing. He is still under contract but his wife is dealing with cancer and it certainly took a toll on him this season. I would love for the Cards to get Maddon or Francona.
    According to his son Chris Duncan, Dave Duncan still wants to be the pitching coach in 2012. As long as the new manager wants him to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Hey I liked Ward Bond. He seemed to be in every movie made between 1935 and 1960.
    A great John Ford role player.

It also amazes me the "outrage" on this forum over the PED use under LaRussa when the Reds current manager has some real creditability issues in this department. If you all are going to be fair about it, call for Dusty Baker's head as well.

I'm pretty sure we have.. Multiple times.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

As much as he was dissed here, he was the reason for the Cardinal success, like it or not. I'm glad to see him go. As for their future? There is no doubt. They have the money and make the right moves. Unlike our Reds. Money is one thing, but the right moves have to be made. And that would start with personnel. The Cardinals seem to do that. Will the Reds?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

So it couldn't have been determined privately, with him announcing it publicly a week or two later?

Sorry... Not buying the reasoning.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I'm pretty sure we have.. Multiple times.
    From the things I have read, people wanting to get rid of Baker was mainly due to "incompetent management" on the field rather than anything to do with PED's.

So it couldn't have been determined privately, with him announcing it publicly a week or two later?

Sorry... Not buying the reasoning.
    Just give the conspiracy theory stuff a rest. I've said it here before, he is such a despised character that for some people, everything he does has a motive. If he looked at someone wrong during a press conference, there are some people on here and in other baseball forums who thought that he had an ulterior motive in doing that. In a way, I'm glad that he has decided to hang it up so people can actually talk about the stuff that goes on, on the field, rather than have discussions about the ulterior motive of what he does here and what he does there. Kind of gets old.

Actually Mike, you're the one that should give it a rest.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Turn Off Ads?