Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Larussa Retiring

Re: Larussa Retiring

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Actually Mike, you're the one that should give it a rest.

Rem
    Thank you for your advice, RedsZone police guy, but if people are still talking about it, it is a topic worthy of discussion. That said, is there any other threads you want me to comment on or not comment on? You've seemed to have taken well to your new role of pseudo moderator.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Actually Mike, you're the one that should give it a rest.

Rem

Last edited by RBA; 11-02-2011 at 01:06 PM.

I can't believe this is rearing it's head in yet another thread, but here goes.

The stance of the site admins has conistently been that fans of other teams are welcome so long as they follow the rules,. In fact, there are several prominent RZ members who are fans of other teams and no one gives them trouble, probably because they aren't Cardinal fans.

So I will say this. Mike is a member of the ORG, meaning he went up for a vote and did well enough that he gained access - which isnt the easiest thing to do. If some of you have a problem with who is and who isn't an ORG member, I encourage you to become more involved in the new member voting process. Maybe that way the polls wouldn't drag on and on due to lackof enough voters.

But anyway, Mike made it and he's following the rules. If you think he's breaking the rules, by all means report the post in question and we'll look into it. The fact that that hasn't been happening even a little bit tells me that more than likely most of you that are giving him grief just don't like sharing your sandbox with a Cardinal fan. But you're gonna have to deal with it as long as he is abiding by the site's guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Does Larussa get to manage the NL team at next year's all-star game, or would that honor fall to the next Cardinal manager?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Does Larussa get to manage the NL team at next year's all-star game, or would that honor fall to the next Cardinal manager?
    hmm... I don't know. If Selig was smart, he would bring LaRussa back as a one time thing.

Francona interviews with Cards:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72...-cardinals-job

I would feel ill if Francona went to the Cards.

It would be the next Cards manager. I believe the same thing happened with the yankees during the George and Billy days.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Francona interviews with Cards:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72...-cardinals-job

I would feel ill if Francona went to the Cards.
    I hope Francona gets the job. I believe it would be beneficial to the Reds.

I respect Francona but he didn't have much success the last time he was at the helm of a NL Club.

The AP is reporting that LaRussa will manage the National League squad in this year's All Star game. It's only the second time that a retired manager will lead the game (although I think MLB quibbles since Danny Murtaugh retired after '71, but came back later to manage again). John McGraw was the other, managing the first All Star game in 1933.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...lOQ_story.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The AP is reporting that LaRussa will manage the National League squad in this year's All Star game. It's only the second time that a retired manager will lead the game (although I think MLB quibbles since Danny Murtaugh retired after '71, but came back later to manage again). John McGraw was the other, managing the first All Star game in 1933.
    I do not agree with this decision. If you are not currently managing the team you took there, then you should not be allowed to manage in the All-Star Game. Kind of makes that home-field advantage thing even dumber when you allow someone to manage one of the squads who is not an active manager.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I do not agree with this decision. If you are not currently managing the team you took there, then you should not be allowed to manage in the All-Star Game. Kind of makes that home-field advantage thing even dumber when you allow someone to manage one of the squads who is not an active manager.
    Regarding your second point, you can't make the "home field" rule anymore idiotic than it is.

But, as the article notes, it's not without precedent, not to mention from the very first game. Do you really think that LaRussa's going to be half-hearted in his managing? I don't think it's really in his DNA. And, as it should be, it's an honorific, plain & simple. Bigger fish to fry, idiotic "home field" rule notwithstanding.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Regarding your second point, you can't make the "home field" rule anymore idiotic than it is.

But, as the article notes, it's not without precedent, not to mention from the very first game. Do you really think that LaRussa's going to be half-hearted in his managing? I don't think it's really in his DNA. And, as it should be, it's an honorific, plain & simple. Bigger fish to fry, idiotic "home field" rule notwithstanding.
    I think part of it is to give LaRussa an official retirement from baseball. He announced his retirement the day after the parade and took everyone by surprise. It wasn't like Bobby Cox in which everyone knew he was retiring and got his last swan song in all the visiting ball parks he went to. There is some talk that he is going to be bringing Duncan back. It will be nice to see those two reunited one last time. LaRussa gave up 30+ years of his life to the game and should be given this one last opportunity, whether you like him or not.

Plus managing this game has always been the privaledge of the two champions of the respected league. If the Cardinals influence MLB to allow LaRussa manage the game, who is the league to deny them that opportunity. The Cards and Rangers earned the chance to manage that game.

Also, this game is going to be in KC. It only makes sense to have him manage this game considering it's across the state from the ballclub he managed for 16+ years. There will be a lot of Cards fans at this year's All Star Game.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 01-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Turn Off Ads?