Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #7 prospect?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Brad Boxberger

18 22.50%
  • LHP Tony Cingrani

2 2.50%
  • UT Todd Frazier

3 3.75%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • OF Yorman Rodriguez

5 6.25%
  • OF Dave Sappelt

4 5.00%
  • 1B Neftali Soto

13 16.25%
  • RHP Robert Stephenson

23 28.75%
  • 2B Ron Torreyes

12 15.00%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #7 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #7 prospect?

Give me Yorman's superstar upside over the rest at this pick!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    And I hope Soto doesn't go this early based on one year which can turn out to be an aberration. And even with that year, he's now a first baseman which requires a whole lot of offense to be an MLB regular.
    I don't have Soto here... but how soon do we forget that Soto hit .340/.362/.558 as a 19 year old between Billings and Dayton? Yes, he hasn't come close to anything like that since, but he isn't a "one year" guy. He has always had the tools and has shown them before too.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't have Soto here... but how soon do we forget that Soto hit .340/.362/.558 as a 19 year old between Billings and Dayton? Yes, he hasn't come close to anything like that since, but he isn't a "one year" guy. He has always had the tools and has shown them before too.
    Nor should we forget Soto's .645 OPS in 2009 or his .778 in 2010. His career OPS is under .800.

The fact that he did well at age 19 isn't particularly important at this stage.

He needs to show up at AAA next year to get into the top ten IMO. I think some folks may be giving his 2011 season too much importance.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-01-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Nor should we forget Soto's .645 OPS in 2009 or his .778 in 2010. His career OPS is under .800.

He needs to show up at AAA next year to get into the top ten IMO. I think some folks may be giving his 2011 season too much importance.
    His numbers are pretty similar to 2010, except for the power. That's been projected out of his game since day one, and after the wrist injury, 2011 seems like a pretty natural progression. There's still questions about his game, but I don't think regression is in order just because he improved.

I went with Stephenson here though. Can't overlook his potential much longer

The Stephenson pick here is crazy to me. The guy hasn't pitched 1 inning in the minors. I know part of the prospect ranking is projectability and all, but it seems a bit high to rank him.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The Stephenson pick here is crazy to me. The guy hasn't pitched 1 inning in the minors. I know part of the prospect ranking is projectability and all, but it seems a bit high to rank him.
    What if he had pitched one inning and struck out the side?

Sappelt

What is more important, 20 innings thrown or scouting reports?

I believe, and doug would know for sure, but didn't Soto, like Alonso have a hamate bone removed?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

but didn't Soto, like Alonso have a hamate bone removed?
    Yes he did.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Give me Yorman's superstar upside over the rest at this pick!
    It's a fair argument but I cannot help but look at his lack of maturity being a major hurdle for him right now. He'll never reach superstar status unless he changes his attitude at least some extent. Talent alone is never enough, skill is based on hard work and dedication to ones craft, right now he seems to be living off of his talent alone.

Besides it would be a wasted vote for me to go that route right now since he has no shot at winning and I'm done throwing away my votes on these lists.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 11-01-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    It's a fair argument but I cannot help but look at his lack of maturity being a major hurdle for him right now. He'll never reach superstar status unless he changes his attitude at least some extent. Talent alone is never enough, skill is based on hard work and dedication to ones craft, right now he seems to be living off of his talent alone.

Besides it would be a wasted vote for me to go that route right now since he has no shot at winning and I'm done throwing away my votes on these lists.
    He is 18 years old. I think that the only reason we are hearing so much about his attitude problems is because we have a guy close to the situation who posts on the board frequently (redsof72). The issue was brought up a time or two in the papers, but I think it is a bit overblown because of the board having a poster close to the situation who can bring it up often, while we don't have someone posting about other 18 year olds because those guys, sans Torreyes, aren't playing for teams that get any coverage at all. Dayton has had a grand total of TWO 18 year olds play more than a handful of games for them in their entire history. Both just happened to be on the team this past season. One guy is very mature. The other guy isn't as mature. But I think we need to keep in mind that aside from Torreyes, Yorman is the youngest every day player to be in Dayton in the franchise's history. Of course he is going to be seen as immature, he is far and away one of the youngest players they have ever had. Dayton has had 8 teenagers get 300 PA's in a season for them and three of them were on the 2011 Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What is more important, 20 innings thrown or scouting reports?
    Stephenson was considered a great pick for the Reds, but he wasn't a can't miss kind of pick. High school pitchers are question marks and it seems hard to rank a guy who is still a large unknown that high IMO.

For some reason I just felt compelled to look up birthdates for Yorman and Stephenson. Yorman is about 6 months older 8.15.92 vs 2.24.93.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Stephenson was considered a great pick for the Reds, but he wasn't a can't miss kind of pick. High school pitchers are question marks and it seems hard to rank a guy who is still a large unknown that high IMO.
    I am one of the posters who voted for Stephenson. I can't speak for everyone, but the reason for my pick was because I decide who to vote for based upon who I would be most upset if the Reds' traded.

Stephenson has ace potential and the scouting reports were glowing. I have read on this board a couple of times that if last year's draft wasn't so deep, he would have been a lock to be a top 10 pick.

Stephenson's stuff has potential to be great. Boxberger also has good stuff. That being said, I like a starting pitcher's impact on 200 innnigs over a reliever's impact in less than 100. As for Soto, I like his potential, but I don't like his inability to take a walk.

I like Soto and Boxberger a lot, but I would be more upset if the Reds trade Stephenson (even though that can't officially happen for a while).

Turn Off Ads?