Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

  1. #1
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Just for fun.

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...-agents-1.html

    They predict the Reds end up with Josh Willingham and wait for it, wait for it..........Juan Pierre.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Willingham

    2011 488 at-bats,.246, 29 HR's, 98 rbi's, .810 OPS

    Heisey
    2011 279 at-bats, .254, 18 HR's, 50 rbi's, .797 OPS

    Heisey, projected 500 at-bats based on 2011 stats

    500 at-bats, 32 HR's, 90 rbi's, same average, etc.

    Willingham turns 32 in February. Why sign him to a 3 year deal when you have a guy who turns 27 this December that has nearly the same numbers?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  4. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,925

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

    Willingham turns 32 in February. Why sign him to a 3 year deal when you have a guy who turns 27 this December that has nearly the same numbers?
    Because Willingham may be able to start every day and the Reds must not think that Heisey does... or he probably would have by now.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,079

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    I'd take Willingham, Sizemore or Beltran for LF on a 2-year deal. I wouldn't want to commit more than that if I were the Reds. It goes without saying, but I have no interest in Pierre.

    My first priority would be to secure a #1 or #2 starter, however- but a signing like this may allow that to happen (making Alonso, Stubbs, and/or Heisey more expendable).
    Go BLUE!!!

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Willingham

    2011 488 at-bats,.246, 29 HR's, 98 rbi's, .810 OPS

    Heisey
    2011 279 at-bats, .254, 18 HR's, 50 rbi's, .797 OPS

    Heisey, projected 500 at-bats based on 2011 stats

    500 at-bats, 32 HR's, 90 rbi's, same average, etc.

    Willingham turns 32 in February. Why sign him to a 3 year deal when you have a guy who turns 27 this December that has nearly the same numbers?
    Why not both?

    Heisey also plays a passable CF, fwiw. (His dWAR numbers compare with Drew Stubbs across the board, though in fewer innings than is comfortable to predict.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd take Willingham, Sizemore or Beltran for LF on a 2-year deal. I wouldn't want to commit more than that if I were the Reds. It goes without saying, but I have no interest in Pierre.

    My first priority would be to secure a #1 or #2 starter, however- but a signing like this may allow that to happen (making Alonso, Stubbs, and/or Heisey more expendable).
    That would be fine for me as well. I'd love to have Beltran, but there's little chance the Reds could afford him.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  8. #7
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,703

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    I understand the issue they bring up about Fielder being drafted by the Mariners but I just don't see him going there.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  9. #8
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I understand the issue they bring up about Fielder being drafted by the Mariners but I just don't see him going there.
    Me neither. Safeco Field is where power hitters go to die. There is a reason Griffey and ARod both wanted out of there.

    If I were the Mariners I would take the Padres approach. Build a team entirely around pitching and play to the strengths of your ballpark. Offering multi-millions to a player who will never live up to the expectations in that ballpark is kinda ridiculous.

    I'd take a chance on Grady Sizemore and keep Heisey as a platoon player. If Sizemore works out, you have someone who works better at leading off.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  10. #9
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,384

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Juan Pierre, as awful as that acquisition would be, fits what the Reds do in the offseason to a tee under this Jocketty/Baker/Castellini regime.

    See:

    Patterson, Corey

    Taveras, Willie

  11. #10
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Me neither. Safeco Field is where power hitters go to die. There is a reason Griffey and ARod both wanted out of there.

    If I were the Mariners I would take the Padres approach. Build a team entirely around pitching and play to the strengths of your ballpark. Offering multi-millions to a player who will never live up to the expectations in that ballpark is kinda ridiculous.

    I'd take a chance on Grady Sizemore and keep Heisey as a platoon player. If Sizemore works out, you have someone who works better at leading off.
    Well, sure. I'd sign Willingham, Sizemore or Beltran if Stubbs gets traded and Heisey moves to CF. Then we need a LFer, so it makes sense.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  12. #11
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Free agency begins! And here we go...

  13. #12
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,703

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    What do you all think the biggest surprise will be in the free agency period? Obviously Pujols and Fielder are the big names so it doesn't surprise me anywhere they land. What I mean is will there be any shocking trades or deals made?
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  14. #13
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,181

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    CJ Wilson ends up a Yankee. They replace him with Yu Darvish.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  15. #14
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,703

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    CJ Wilson ends up a Yankee. They replace him with Yu Darvish.
    I have heard a lot about Yu Darvish. What makes him different from other Japanese players that have come over and had limited success?
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  16. #15
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,181

    Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I have heard a lot about Yu Darvish. What makes him different from other Japanese players that have come over and had limited success?
    Other than being half Iranian, I'm not sure.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25