Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove Returns Tonight 6 pm - Jocketty on at 7pm

Hot Stove Returns Tonight 6 pm - Jocketty on at 7pm

www.700wlw.com

I'll be playing the Jocketty interview backwards to find clues about Votto/Bautista/Shields/Supertrade. Until then we can look for the recaps from Chip R, I hope.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Hot Stove Returns Tonight 6 pm - Jocketty on at 7pm

They just talked about how they know that teams will be knocking down the Reds door for Chris Heisey. I can only hope so. If that is the case, trade him quickly and be happy about it. Heisey is a solid player. I can't imagine anyone beating down the door for a guy who has never played a full season who just came off a year with a .309 OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They just talked about how they know that teams will be knocking down the Reds door for Chris Heisey. I can only hope so. If that is the case, trade him quickly and be happy about it. Heisey is a solid player. I can't imagine anyone beating down the door for a guy who has never played a full season who just came off a year with a .309 OBP.
    I think if I were projecting players forward Heisey can be as good or better than alot of the players on this team. And personally I believe the odds for him are better than average. I wouldn't be so quick to move him. He is a 5 tooler in my eyes and the best part is he has already shown willing & able to take good instruction when it's available and improve his game. Frankly I think it would be a mistake to deal him now when his value isn't at it's highest. Now guys like Stubbs, Alonso & Francisco who may prove to be as good as they will ever be need to be the ones dealt. Stubbs has seemingly always resisted change to some extent. Alonso and Francisco just don't seem able to change/improve much.

If I am gambling on futures I go with guys both willing and able to change/grow/improve like Heisey and Sappelt. Dedication to their craft and the ability to adjust are as big as talent and skill.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    www.700wlw.com

I'll be playing the Jocketty interview backwards to find clues about Votto/Bautista/Shields/Supertrade. Until then we can look for the recaps from Chip R, I hope.
    I only caught parts. I just remember that Marty and Thom said that Chicago picked up the option for Aramis Ramirez. Woops. Well, they were only half right.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I think if I were projecting players forward Heisey can be as good or better than alot of the players on this team. And personally I believe the odds for him are better than average. I wouldn't be so quick to move him. He is a 5 tooler in my eyes and the best part is he has already shown willing & able to take good instruction when it's available and improve his game. Frankly I think it would be a mistake to deal him now when his value isn't at it's highest. Now guys like Stubbs, Alonso & Francisco who may prove to be as good as they will ever be need to be the ones dealt. Stubbs has seemingly always resisted change to some extent. Alonso and Francisco just don't seem able to change/improve much.

If I am gambling on futures I go with guys both willing and able to change/grow/improve like Heisey and Sappelt. Dedication to their craft and the ability to adjust are as big as talent and skill.
    Chris Heisey is NOT a five tool player. The guy is not a hitter for average.

As for Alonso not being able to change/improve much.... where does he need to improve that is possible? He isn't going to ever turn into a fast runner/non first baseman, so where can he truly improve his game by any sort of realistic magnitude?

They just talked about how they know that teams will be knocking down the Reds door for Chris Heisey.
    I hope they keep Heisey and deal Stubbs. Heisey has never had a full-time opportunity in the majors -- would be interesting to see what he could do with 500+ABs. IMO, Reds need more guys who have fought their way from obscurity, like Heisey, Hanigan, Sappelt.

Things that stuck:

- Thom mentioned that a top exec from the Giants wrote a report 2 years ago about Cozart, while he was in Dayton, that he would be the Reds franchise SS for 10-12 years. On the cusp of a starting role in 2012, that gets me excited.

- Lot's of zeroing in on Stubbs K's, even during LF discussion.

- Lot's of zeroing in on Stubbs K's, even during LF discussion.
    That stood out to me as well. And what was worse, no one stopped to realize that Heisey's K rate is almost as bad as Stubbs, but Stubb's OBP and walk rate are better then Heisey's.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Things that stuck:

- Thom mentioned that a top exec from the Giants wrote a report 2 years ago about Cozart, while he was in Dayton, that he would be the Reds franchise SS for 10-12 years. On the cusp of a starting role in 2012, that gets me excited.
    I could see this happening. I am really looking forward to what Cozart can do over the course of a full season in Cincinnati. Hopefully, he'll be the best SS we've had since #11 left town.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Trade Bruce, put Heisey in right. Probably a slight drop in production, but not as great as the salary difference between the players (probably about $4 mill next season and increasing every year after). Bruce would command a lot more in return than Heisey would at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Trade Bruce, put Heisey in right. Probably a slight drop in production, but not as great as the salary difference between the players (probably about $4 mill next season and increasing every year after). Bruce would command a lot more in return than Heisey would at this point.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    4/3/1987

12/14/1984

Those are two very important dates to remember when comparing Bruce and Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    4/3/1987

12/14/1984

Those are two very important dates to remember when comparing Bruce and Heisey.
    ....and?

....and?
    Age is a very important factor when evaluating players. Those are Bruce and Heisey's birthdays. The fact that Bruce is younger than Heisey and out-producing him as a full time player says to me that Bruce is the better long term option. Especially since he is locked up in a very affordable long term deal.

www.700wlw.com

Unfortunately I won't be doing them any more. I jsut don't have the time and it's usually on the web anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?