Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold Glove Awards 2011

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Gold Glove Awards 2011

I gave up on watching the Gold Glove show on ESPN2 when the football game seemed never ending but I just saw on Twitter that Joey and Brandon were both named Gold Glove winners tonight. Congrats to both guys!!

Over in the AL, Matt Weiters became the first ever Oriole to win a GG for catcher. Congrats to him too!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gold Glove Awards 2011

Pretty bummed about the awards leaking on twitter. What is the point of me watching the show now?

Oh, I thought they were being tweeted as they're being announced on the show. They're being posted by all the beat writers and I figured they were posting them as they found out too.

BTW-Nick Markakis just won his first (way overdue) GG award for RF with the Orioles! SO excited for him to finally win!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Nothing against Alex Gordon, but I have no idea how anyone with eyes picks someone other than Brett Gardner for AL LF.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'd have laughed if you told me 3 years ago that Votto would win a GG.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

What is this, the third for Phillips? I think the guy deserves it and has turned into a monster out there.

NL Winners:

Kershaw P, Molina C, Votto 1B , Phillips 2B , Polanco 3B, Tulowitzki SS, Parra LF, Kemp CF, Ethier RF

AL Winners:

Buehrle P, Wieters C , Gonzalez 1B, Pedroia 2B, Beltre 3B, Aybar SS, Gordon LF, Ellsbury CF, Markakis RF (A little surprised Astrubel Cabrera didn't win for SS)

Whoops, double post somehow.

Congrats to all the winners except Molina.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Here's the complete list:

AL
    C - Wieters
    1B - Gonzalez
    2B - Pedroia
    3B - Beltre
    SS - Aybar
    LF - Gordon
    CF - Ellsbury
    RF - Markakis
    P - Buerhle

NL
    C - Molina
    1B - Votto
    2B - Phillips
    3B - Polanco
    SS - Tulowitzki
    LF - Parra
    CF - Kemp
    RF - Ethier
    P - Kershaw
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Here's a post with some comments from Brandon and Joey:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...n-gold-gloves/

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Nothing against Alex Gordon, but I have no idea how anyone with eyes picks someone other than Brett Gardner for AL LF.
    No kidding. They actually did pretty darn good this year. But Gardner is awesome. I think perhaps the weakest selection was Erick Aybar -- I think Alexi Ramirez is easily the best defensive SS in the AL.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Jay Bruce was mentioned by Barry Larkin as his pick for right field. That would have been cool to have the whole right side as a GG.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Okay, so Heather beat me to it.

I hate that I bother caring about the GG awards and they're selections were a typical mix of good and bad. I think they did a great job with the infielders and then were completely lost with the outfielders. Kemp is rewarded for his offense. How does Gardner not get recognition!?!?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Pretty bummed about the awards leaking on twitter. What is the point of me watching the show now?
    But there was an important football game on that nobody cared about...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    But there was an important football game on that nobody cared about...
    They didn't start announcing the winners until the game was over so there were no early announcements. It was annoying because I really have no patience sometimes, LOL
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 11-02-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Turn Off Ads?