Thread: Mat Latos

Mat Latos

Would anyone give up Grandel for Latos

Let the kids play!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mat Latos

I would!

i would but i would try to give up less for him but i wouldnt see why the padres would try to be trading him though.

Latos would certainly be a welcome addition to the rotation, but as far as his availability goes, this article seems to indicate the Pads would want a ML ready player, a pitching prospect, and another prospect. Also, the Pads have a quality young catcher in Nick Hundley, so they might not be too interested in Grandel.

If that article is accurate, what three players would you try to package for Latos? Heisey, Wood and another prospect? Would you include Alonso in a deal?

[double post, please delete]

Sometime around the trade deadline I suggested we trade for this guy. I love the idea of him in our rotation. He is a strike out pitcher, is young, and has a bit of a nasty streak. I recall a game in San Diego this year when Johnny Gomes hit a home run off of him he got a bit nasty. I like that in a pitcher, a bit of nastiness would do this rotation some good. As for what I would be willing to give up for him, I would start with Bailey, Heisey, and Grandal and go from there. Or Bailey, Alonso, Grandal, Corcino, and another prospect or two for Latos and Heath Bell... am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Sometime around the trade deadline I suggested we trade for this guy. I love the idea of him in our rotation. He is a strike out pitcher, is young, and has a bit of a nasty streak. I recall a game in San Diego this year when Johnny Gomes hit a home run off of him he got a bit nasty. I like that in a pitcher, a bit of nastiness would do this rotation some good. As for what I would be willing to give up for him, I would start with Bailey, Heisey, and Grandal and go from there. Or Bailey, Alonso, Grandal, Corcino, and another prospect or two for Latos and Heath Bell... am I crazy?
    Bell is a Free Agent. Jus' Sayin'
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

If they would take Bailey heisey grandal I would do it. I feel like they would want more and I hate giving up on Bailey. Latos is signed thru 2016 so you would have him for a while. I would rather try and get rid of volquez and try Bailey as closer.

Rotation.

Cueto
    Latos
    Leake
    Chapman
    Arroyo

Closer Bailey

They would have the top three pitchers thru 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
    If they would take Bailey heisey grandal I would do it. I feel like they would want more and I hate giving up on Bailey. Latos is signed thru 2016 so you would have him for a while. I would rather try and get rid of volquez and try Bailey as closer.

Rotation.

Cueto
    Latos
    Leake
    Chapman
    Arroyo

Closer Bailey

They would have the top three pitchers thru 2015
    hey at last someone who agrees with me that baliey should close but i say see if they will take Volquez, Arroyo, Janish and Phipps/Sappelt for him

The problem is that Latos's numbers and stuff have regressed from his first year, and he seems to be a pretty clear beneficiary of San Diego's park, which will rear it's ugly head when he comes to town. We've got a pretty massive shortage of those pitching prospects that San Diego wants anyway, so we'd have to pay that much more. I don't think it's a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    The problem is that Latos's numbers and stuff have regressed from his first year, and he seems to be a pretty clear beneficiary of San Diego's park, which will rear it's ugly head when he comes to town. We've got a pretty massive shortage of those pitching prospects that San Diego wants anyway, so we'd have to pay that much more. I don't think it's a good fit.
    Latos's career home and away splits aren't that severe: 3.25 home FIP vs. 3.30 away FIP, and over his career, he's actually given up home runs at a slightly lower rate on the road, so it's not just the spacious confines of PetCo making him look good.

The regression may be a concern, given that his fastball velocity did dip a bit last year, and you make a good point about the Reds lacking pitching prospects, but I wonder what team would be a better match. I still like the idea of Gio Gonzalez, but are there other starters on the trade block besides Gio and Latos?

Latos' personality seems to resemble Chris Carpenter the times i've seen him pitch.

I would like to see Latos too, but with the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Rockies and every other contender (not meaning the Cubs are contenders) are looking for starting pitching, he will be hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    I would like to see Latos too, but with the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Rockies and every other contender (not meaning the Cubs are contenders) are looking for starting pitching, he will be hard to get.
    I wonder if this is a case where being a small market team might actually help the Reds. Teams like the Yankees, Sox and Cubs can address their pitching concerns by going after high-priced options like Wilson and Darvish. Maybe that leaves the window open for the Reds to make a trade for Latos.

Turn Off Ads?