Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this family court judge unfit?

Is this family court judge unfit?

This video seems to speak for itself. At least I can't imagine a context where the content of this video could be taken out of context.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/02/justic...ing/?hpt=hp_t2

Can a judge do this and still be trusted to do his job?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is this family court judge unfit?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This video seems to speak for itself. At least I can't imagine a context where the content of this video could be taken out of context.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/02/justic...ing/?hpt=hp_t2

Can a judge do this and still be trusted to do his job?
    I can understand that this beating needs to be investigated to determine if it was legal corporal punishment or illegal abuse. If it is determined to be abuse, then the judge should lose his job, if not then the judge should be retained. Either way, he will likely not get reelected. See the link below for the difference between corporal punishment and abuse.

http://resources.lawinfo.com/en/Arti...ome-abuse.html

It seems to me that his actions on this video would not legally constitute abuse.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

It happened in Texas. Kid is lucky he didn't just shoot her.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Corporal punishment should never last longer than a minute. Imagine someone hitting you repeatedly for a minute. Usually 10 seconds is enough to be very effective.

Anything longer than a minute is usually considered abuse. This lasted 7 1/2 minutes. It's not even a close call.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

While I personally think his actions are reprehensible, even if the actions were criminal, the statute of limitations for these actions is 5 years -- per CNN. So there probably won't be legs to the "news story" angle on this. Maybe he'll step down, maybe not. He probably won't be re-elected.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think that he can do that and still be trusted to do his job. I think he may have gone a little too far there for my own personal taste, but I also don't think that is child abuse either.

Using a belt and swinging it with the force that he was using is overboard. I'm fine with spanking and whatnot, but swinging a belt as hard as possible to inflict pain on your child for over 7 straight minutes is definitely child abuse in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    While I personally think his actions are reprehensible, even if the actions were criminal, the statute of limitations for these actions is 5 years -- per CNN. So there probably won't be legs to the "news story" angle on this. Maybe he'll step down, maybe not. He probably won't be re-elected.
    The daughter could claim that the abuse was ongoing for a number of years after that video. The video could certainly serve as evidence to support that claim.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The daughter could claim that the abuse was ongoing for a number of years after that video. The video could certainly serve as evidence to support that claim.
    The video would support the initial claim of abuse. But there's no evidence that it was ongoing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The video would support the initial claim of abuse. But there's no evidence that it was ongoing.
    None that we know of ... yet. Who knows if anything else might come out.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Corporal punishment should never last longer than a minute. Imagine someone hitting you repeatedly for a minute. Usually 10 seconds is enough to be very effective.

Anything longer than a minute is usually considered abuse. This lasted 7 1/2 minutes. It's not even a close call.
    A minute is still one minute too long in my book.
    Guys like this judge make my blood boil, we should string him up and...(oops, wait a minute).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Frankly, I'm shocked that anyone is ok with what went on in that video, even though I should really know better.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

He might of seemed a little over the top but in todays day and age when poor behavior is ignored by parents it is kinda nice to see a parent correct a child as opposed to ignoring it and flipping through the channels.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I sure am glad a few of you aren't my dad.

Just curious if any of the people that think this was ok have seen the full 7 minute version or just the cut up one in the link above. The full video also shows him grabbing her by the throat a couple of minutes in. Honestly I can't comprehend how someone could beat a dog with a leather belt for 7 minutes let alone another human being. Maybe this just brings up bad memories from my own experience with a abusive father, but the full 7 minute video is hard to watch. Actually it kinda ruined my day.
    During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

Turn Off Ads?